User Tag List

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Damn Hand Cannon

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    j0be,
    Correctomundo, In a knife fight the loser has a quick death and the winner usually has a slow death. Or, is that sword fighting. Same difference I suppose. I've held a knife for years and have faith in my experience, not to say I need to learn more. If you are interested in close combat look on website http://www.paladin-press.com/
    In my opinion training is the biggest factor of the tool you choose and probability of survival.
    Teethingtabs
    Does rocking the Claw Machine a worthy apocalyptic talent?

"Lurker"

Status
    I would like to point out a few points
    1) any kind of melee weapon bears the possibility of becoming imbeded in a zombies skull, leaving you weaponless during a group situation = zombie chum or worse. I would recommend a rubber mallet. It has the weight and force to crush skulls with the added benefit that it would rebound, allowing for repeated and rapid use.
    2) a .22 caliber round may have the power to pierce a standard Zombies skull and kill it, however with Behemoths and other variants of zombies the rounds may lack the punch to do significant damage. Take the 5.56mm rounds fired by the M16 used in the story. The rounds had little effect on the Behemoth, and with the .22 round being smaller and slower, I don't want to be in that situation. I personally go for the 7.62 fired by a AK-47. Bigger rounds may well have the punch needed. I would also like to see how a Behemoth stands up to the .50 cal fired by the Desert Eagle.
    3) the use of suppressors really needs to be coupled with sub-sonic rounds. No point using a silencer when the rounds themselves break the sound barrier and make a "crack" noise when fired as anyone who has had a supersonic plane nearby would tell you.
    4) the best kind of armor I would guess is a stab-proof vest with sleeves and a collar. This would stop any zombie bites to the upper body and prevent infection that way. However there may be "crawlers" at ground level and this won't help against them.

Afterlife of the party

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorTagger First ClassVeteran

PSN ID: jobe_tr Steam ID: jobe_tr
    I definitely like your take on it Triggernator. You approached it more in a tank-like fashion. I was looking at it in more of a stealth manner.

• I intended the .22 to stay more silent, but still have range without causing any wear on the person. A .22 is very light weight as well, making very portable (except in scale).
    • I do like the rubber mallet, except that your force has to be enough to crush a skull, which means you have to exert much more force per blow, and possibly wearing yourself out. If you keep a piercing melee weapon VERY sharp, and avoid anything with serrations, you will have less problems pulling it out. Also try to avoid sharp blade with a large surface area, as this will cause more friction, and therefore making it harder to pull out.
    It's pronounced: johb
    Find me elsewhere: Reddit - j0be | PSN - jobe_tr | T - @jobe_tr | Facebook

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    LOL.. hey guys and gals. Head to Amazon.com and build your own Zombie Survival equipment list.. look under listmania and give it a go. it'll give you a better visual of what you're actually looking for.

On the topic of rifles. The AK 47 is cheaper to produce and has better reliablity than the M16. You'd spend considerably less time cleaning it. You also have to throw in the recoil for firing anything with that large caliber.
    The M16 is more accurate and is more adaptable (meaning you can add more "Stuff" to it") and has virtually no recoil. You aren't flinching by your 5th magazine. You'd most def have to clean the bastard after all those rounds!

The 7.62 would esentially be overkill when dealing with normal zombies or in the Tower because they'll pass through flesh and walls, thus increasing friendly casualties. Like Burt shouldn't be using Shirley for anything other than killing Behemoths and Ink. His .357 revolver will work on everything else.
    The 5.56 round isn't as hard to find and the rounds tend to shatter once they impact anything harder than bone.
    It really comes down to which weapon you're trained and comfortable with.
    Me.. I'm going with option 3 and 4.
    Crowbar -which aren't that hard to hold on to despite what was said above and give you better standoff distance. They also will give you increased striking power due to the increased momentum. You also can use it to break into crap. I'd sharpen the teeth on the non business end to make it.. more business like. Now you basically have an stabbing edged weapon.
    4- Shotgun.. nothing like it for stopping power in an urban setting.

Damn Hand Cannon

Status
    Achievements:
    I'll hand it to you Bar you've got your ideal armory in order.
    I've been able to take some very big Bull beef with a 22Mag mostly because I knew where to shoot em. The nice thing about a 22 is the scramble effect, not strong enough typically to go through two bones so it will bounce around in the skull. To that order, there was the odd beef that was rather resistant to my Mag and I needed a backup. I would like to reach for a .308 or a 7.62 DPMS, then to my shotgun and down to the .45 springfield XDM. Then to melee weapons.
    Toothless grin

"Scavenger"

Status
    Caliber debates are fine, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned sound suppression. If a primary attractor is noise, do you really want to make those big booms and bring the swarm?

I'll take a 22 semi-auto with a screw-on suppressor. Quiet, efficient, and lightweight even when carrying 500 rounds. Easily manageable recoil for faster follow-up shots.

Still would need something bigger for behemoths or vehicles, but this simple setup would get you through 99% of the zombie apocalypse.

Melee weapons are over-rated in the zombie context. Striking distance = splash distance, and you can't afford just one drop on you in these circumstances.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Lasky, Guard at Walleyworld: It's a BB gun!

--The automatic shotgun from the movie Expendables.--fun stuff there kids
    Last edited by cycogod; Mar 1st, 2011 at 02:30 PM.

Presidential Feline

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    VeteranBlogger10000 Experience PointsWiki AmateurTagger First Class
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: ObamaCat PSN ID: ObamaCat Steam ID: ObamaCat
    I think under the circumstances conflict should be kept to a minimum and generally avoided. I am neither a ballistics nor a melee expert, but I think as for guns I would roll out with a Burt-like revolver, or, if I could get my hands on it, anything silenced. As for melee weapons I don't really have a side on the blunt/blade debate, but I think if I was forced to choose I would probably go with blunt, something like a hammer or a rubber mallet. I wouldn't really want to have to use a melee weapon at all because I would never want to be in that close proximity to a zomb. Gearwise I really dig j0be's wetsuit idea. And finally for the behemoths, I think unconventional weapons are definitely in order. I think rigging up some improvised explosives and crashing a building on top of them like Angel and Kahlani would probably be your best bet. But if behemoths can't swim, maybe drowning them is the best option?

Damn Hand Cannon

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by cycogod View Post
    Lasky, Guard at Walleyworld: It's a BB gun!

--The automatic shotgun from the movie Expendables.--fun stuff there kids
    AA-12 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c
    Didn't get to see any frag-12 rounds in the Predators though don't know about the Expendables. imagine 175meters with a shotgun!
    Teeth

Presidential Feline

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    VeteranBlogger10000 Experience PointsWiki AmateurTagger First Class
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: ObamaCat PSN ID: ObamaCat Steam ID: ObamaCat
    Quote Originally Posted by Teethingbiscuit View Post
    AA-12 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c
    Didn't get to see any frag-12 rounds in the Predators though don't know about the Expendables. imagine 175meters with a shotgun!
    Teeth
    I didn't know it was possible to be in love with a weapon. Wow, scratch my revolver idea, I'll roll out with the AA-12.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast