User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran

Tooth and Nail by Craig DiLouie

I wanted to highly recommend the book "Tooth and Nail", by Craig DiLouie. It's available from Amazon either in hard copy or as a Kindle download.

It's a story about a small Army unit that has been pulled out of Iraq and sent to New York City to help cope with a flu pandemic. The flu mutates, a large percentage of its victims become zombies, and the fun begins. The book does an excellent job of exploring the personality dynamics within an Army unit, and of showing just how effective military weapons are on things made out of flesh and blood, be they human or zombie.

A number of the characters and situations in this book are going to remind you of "We're Alive". You'll recognize counterparts of Michael, Angel, Saul, and even Burt among the soldiers. And you'll definitely sympathize with the survivors in the apartment complexes, surrounded by streets full of abandoned vehicles and hordes of zombies.
    Last edited by Cabbage Patch; Jun 11th, 2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Add Amazon link

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: slilckJoshua Steam ID: Grognaurd
    Meh, he really should have scaled it down to 1/2 squad level or squad level at best. I do not think he handles platoon / company level engagements well. Infection http://www.amazon.com/The-Infection-...=AG56TWVU5XWC2 is better and the one he chose for a sequel

I also liked Eden http://www.amazon.com/Eden-ebook/dp/...8161473&sr=8-4

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    To be fair, I haven't known many platoon leaders or company commanders who hanlde platoon/company level engagements well.

Regarding familiar characters, I didn't mean that you could equate individual characters so much as that you could recognize characteristics among the soldiers and equate them with the soldiers characters from WA. I thought I recognized bits of Angel in some of the officers, bits of Michael in the squad leaders, bits of Saul in some of the enlisted.

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: slilckJoshua Steam ID: Grognaurd
    Yea, Band of Brothers is about Easy Company. More than 100 dudes when at full strength. But there are probably what 20 named characters with speaking parts through the series?

Philly Phanatic Zombie

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    If this was an audio book id def buy it, not that much into reading

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    There is an audio book version of Tooth and Nail that you can get through Audible, or other sources.

FYI, just noticed that Craig DiLouie has another book out on zombies called "The Infection". Sounds like it's the story of another group against the same setting as Tooth and Nail. I've got it downloading to my iPod Touch as I type.

Philly Phanatic Zombie

Status
    Achievements:
    Ohh sweet, I just found the audiobook and downloaded it. Im going to be listening to it tomorrow at work and ill leave my impressions here

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: Lake IX
    I'll be sure to check it out
    Angel's #1 Fan

Chicken-Zombie Overlord

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Steam ID: Magrat
    got the sample for kindle ready to go and if it reads well shall get the audio book too
    I wear a fedora now... fedora's are cool!
    Winner of the coveted ZOMBIE CHICKEN AWARD
    Anyone else waiting for a Doctor Who zombie? No? Huh, just me then...

Philly Phanatic Zombie

Status
    Achievements:
    Just listened to the first like 2 hours of it at work and id give it about a 7/10. I just got to the part where the lab people got turned. Its really interesting, Ill give it that. But it goes kind of fast I think and there is lots of information you need to pay attension to. Other then that im def gona keep listening to it at work. It is really entertaining.

Especially the way that they defined the virus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast