User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: slilckJoshua Steam ID: Grognaurd

Where is the Brass?

We know of a silenced Berreta and a Silenced MP5. I do not have too much knowledge of guns. But, I think they are side discharge weapons.

If so, there should be four brass cases on the floor. From what we heard, it does not seem that shooter took the time to pick them up. But, there was some pause between shots, so maybe the shooter did.

If there are not any cases we are looking for a revolver, right? Alternatively, the brass was not seen admists the turmoil and the Shooter doubled back to pick them up at a later time.

It is interesting to note that the person left alone in the guard room after the shooting is Riley.

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    That's a good point. I hadn't thought about that.

When I saw your thread I thought you were going to ask where the "Brass" was. Like the higher ups in the military or government. I can't believe that we haven't heard anything from anyone with any "Authority".

I am going to have to go back and listen again fro the casings. I don't remember hearing any either. I don't think it matters but, ehh it's something WA related. So, why not.
    We have it in our power to begin the world over again.

-Thomas Paine, Common Sense, 1776

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranExtreme LoveOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: kc wayland Steam ID: waylandprod
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandem25 View Post
    That's a good point. I hadn't thought about that.

When I saw your thread I thought you were going to ask where the "Brass" was. Like the higher ups in the military or government. I can't believe that we haven't heard anything from anyone with any "Authority".

I am going to have to go back and listen again fro the casings. I don't remember hearing any either. I don't think it matters but, ehh it's something WA related. So, why not.
    There were no casings found at the scene-

Chief in Charge of Distraction Technique

Status
    Achievements:
    BloggerHigh Level WikiTagger Second ClassWell LikedVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc View Post
    That opens up new lines of thought. Either someone really knew what they were doing (enough to keep their head), or do we have a new gun?

Also, great thinking Arthur!
    AKA: Grumpycakes... don't cross me.

~ TMC Revolver: Pink is the new AWESOME!

Afterlife of the party

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorTagger First ClassVeteran

PSN ID: jobe_tr Steam ID: jobe_tr
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc View Post
    Before or after Riley's guard duy?
    It's pronounced: johb
    Find me elsewhere: Reddit - j0be | PSN - jobe_tr | T - @jobe_tr | Facebook

Chief in Charge of Distraction Technique

Status
    Achievements:
    BloggerHigh Level WikiTagger Second ClassWell LikedVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by j0be View Post
    Before or after Riley's guard duy?
    Oh, that is a good point too!
    AKA: Grumpycakes... don't cross me.

~ TMC Revolver: Pink is the new AWESOME!

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Here's my only issue with the idea of a revolver using a suppressor: the gap between the cylinder barrel. This gap still allows the expanding gas to escape which is where the sound of a gunshot comes from. A suppressor screwed into the end of a gun wouldn't account for this, so we should have heard a louder gun shot and not the typical "Hollywood" effect of the silenced discharge.

That means to me that the shooter had to police their brass. There is a gap between the shooter's first three shots and the final one. It could be during that time that the casings were picked up. And maybe they were able to pick up the last one directed at the radio as they were leaving.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: slilckJoshua Steam ID: Grognaurd
    You know a lot more about it than I do. I do not want to parse the sound effects closely. What we heard was the classic holywood sound effect of a silenced pistol. In the field ('Nam) the silencer was developed not to make the weapon silent it Was to make it so it did not sound like a gun shot. These weapons were called "Hushpuppies". Maybe holywood took the name silencer and hushpuppy for a silent weapon. But the terms are actually more nefarious. I will not go there here. Look it up if you are burning to know.

Last, it is also my understanding that the effectiveness degrades with each use.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

I've posted the the general difference between what we heard in the Guard Room vs. what an actual suppressor does in the WND Episode 16 thread, but I'll repost and relocated it here:

Quote Originally Posted by Coolluck View Post
    I would just like to note my disappointment with the silencer, suppressor, whatever you want to call it. It was the typical silencer used in movies and stuff. While this is all well and good, apparently, it is not accurate. Silencers aren't as effective as we have been led to believe. Breaking Bad actually got the correct sound right from what I've read.
    You are correct. That suppressor SFX heard in in 22-1 is not accurate to real life. Mythbusters recently covered the difference between Movie Suppressor SFX vs. the Real Sound. They discovered that while not exactly similar, the suppressor cuts the decibel level of a .45 caliber pistol from 161 db down to 126 db. Their conclusion was the typical movie sound effect is "Plausible" to real life in terms of its ability to suppress the sound of a shot fired from a gun, but it wasn't spot on which is why they didn't confirm it. (http://mythbustersresults.com/blow-your-own-sail)

The video you posted sounds similar to the shots Adam and Jamie fired in the episode, though they were in a firing range so it's hard to tell because the sound heard on TV was so echo-y. But it certainly doesn't sound like the familiar high pitched woosh sound we're all accustomed to hearing. Depending on the stat set you want to look at, the suppressed shot's decibel level (126db) is either just at, or just below the threshold where permanent damage is done to your hearing even with brief exposure. That is most certainly not represented by the "woosh" movie sound.

I won't speak for Kc or any of his editors/sound designers, however the main reason to use the familiar sound is just that: it's familiar. Especially not being able to see the weapon in question, it behooves creators and designers of audio dramas to use the sound most closely associated to it in popular culture. You strive to tell a clear story and sometimes you need to cheat reality. Breaking Bad has the advantage of visuals to support their sound track. We in the audience can see the suppressor on the end of the gun and will excuse the lack of typical SFX because we can see the gun in action and there's not a question as to what's happening on screen.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

"Hoarder"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    Here's my only issue with the idea of a revolver using a suppressor: the gap between the cylinder barrel. This gap still allows the expanding gas to escape which is where the sound of a gunshot comes from. A suppressor screwed into the end of a gun wouldn't account for this, so we should have heard a louder gun shot and not the typical "Hollywood" effect of the silenced discharge.

That means to me that the shooter had to police their brass. There is a gap between the shooter's first three shots and the final one. It could be during that time that the casings were picked up. And maybe they were able to pick up the last one directed at the radio as they were leaving.
    I'm going to lean in the direction that the shooter policed up the brass... that said you can suppress some revolvers such as the 1895 Nagant (Devils advocate: Burt could have had one and might be the special weapon). The crack that you hear in the gunshot is also when the bullet itself breaks the sound barrier, that's why if you are using a suppressed weapon you need to use subsonic rounds or you'll still get a pretty loud "crack".

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast