User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chief in Charge of Distraction Technique

Status
    Achievements:
    BloggerHigh Level WikiTagger Second ClassWell LikedVeteran10000 Experience Points

What are the significance of the journals

So a couple of people were talking about journals and their significance in the episode discussions (Nikvoodoo and zombiederek), so here it is.

So what are your thoughts on the journals?
    Do they indicate survival, are they being read later on by others or from beyond the grave, does the fact that we only hear the journals of certain people mean anything?

Go crazy!
    AKA: Grumpycakes... don't cross me.

~ TMC Revolver: Pink is the new AWESOME!

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassTagger First ClassWiki AmateurVeteranWell Liked10000 Experience Points
    All that talk in that previous thread had me thinking about when Samantha wrote in Datu's journal and we heard her voice for a bit. Come to think of it, she told Datu that she wrote some stuff in his journal that might be useful, but we haven't heard what some of that was (another thread for the future, I guess). Anyway, if Samantha was heard reading a journal and she ended up dead, isn't it possible that other characters, especially the main characters, could be dead further down the road and we're hearing their voices as if reading from the past?
    "I have better things to do tonight than die."
    -Springer (while loading a mortar shell)

Afterlife of the party

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorTagger First ClassVeteran

PSN ID: jobe_tr Steam ID: jobe_tr
    I'm currently of the opinion that the journals are indicative of some form of survival.
    Last edited by j0be; May 25th, 2011 at 10:41 AM.
    It's pronounced: johb
    Find me elsewhere: Reddit - j0be | PSN - jobe_tr | T - @jobe_tr | Facebook

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Michael stated that he started writing because he was depressed. Journaling is also a technique used by tons of counselors from Church teaching to Cognitive Behavior techniques.

Here, i think that it's a great tool to remember things that happen or happened while under stress. Information is the key. It's a great way to gather information from different perspectives and also a way to double check your own reality.
    Memory is faulty, but when you have it written down and you need to recall something or bump it against some new information, you have it at your finger tips. No need to try rely on your faulty gray matter.

The last thing is that it's a damn good way to be remembered in case you end up taking a dirt nap or turned.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsWiki Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveCrowBarWillTravel View Post
    Michael stated that he started writing because he was depressed. Journaling is also a technique used by tons of counselors from Church teaching to Cognitive Behavior techniques.

Here, i think that it's a great tool to remember things that happen or happened while under stress. Information is the key. It's a great way to gather information from different perspectives and also a way to double check your own reality.
    Memory is faulty, but when you have it written down and you need to recall something or bump it against some new information, you have it at your finger tips. No need to try rely on your faulty gray matter.

The last thing is that it's a damn good way to be remembered in case you end up taking a dirt nap or turned.
    Crowbar's got this one! He's right. They are being professional about surviving, as funny as it sounds. In the W/A world rules are changed, and survival is the game. Communication is limited, so gathering your info = saving your asses. However, they are a fun storytelling tool for Kc to use to drop hints, clues, and pretty much mess with our minds.

"Scavenger"

Status
    My thought was the journals were a great device for allowing us to "hear" the thoughts of the characters. Not being able to know what the characters is thinking is one major reason why books are so much better than the movie. The journals allow us to share part of this and helps with even more character development. I think that this is a brilliant solution to that issue. (At least I hope that this is the reason)

"Gatherer"

Status
    Its safe to say that whether teh journals mean they survived or not and who is actually reading them won't be answered till the last episode, if at all.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranExtreme LoveOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: kc wayland Steam ID: waylandprod
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctatyk Frost View Post
    Not being able to know what the characters is thinking is one major reason why books are so much better than the movie.
    One reason I'll love Shawshank redemption. Journals also limit your perspective as well, giving us a plethora of ways of telling the story.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Thanks Kc. I'd forgotten about forced perspective too.

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc View Post
    One reason I'll love Shawshank redemption. Journals also limit your perspective as well, giving us a plethora of ways of telling the story.
    KC,

How do they "Limit your" perspective? Are we talking the reader's or writer's POV? In any case, how does it narrow one's perspective?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast