User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    "Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Guardian View Post
    This isn't a rhethorical question, I really wanna know
    You sound like Burt. He used that line at one time.

I agree with you. There should be enough food around, but the problem would be finding it. "Smart Zombies" could have an idea of where to find large stockpiles of canned food; for that reason, it's possible that those larger supply places (and even smaller ones) have been hit in the 3.5 months since z-day. I think it would be easy to find food for a handful of survivors but to be be able to find enough to sustain 25+ could be more difficult.

In the real world, it's likely that enough food could be found. For the sake of drama, though, I would find some way to write out the majority of supplies. Otherwise, that would make for a very boring story.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Guardian View Post
    Even if there were other survivors, I'm thinking they number maybe in the thousands in the vicinity of the Tower (vicinity being used very broadly here).
    As far as other survivors are concerned, there are probably a few more than we expect and/or have encountered. But my theory on the number would be "not many" and nowhere near thousands. Maybe for a few days (or weeks even). But, the zombies are super sniffers and could get the majority of people based on that fact alone. People stink when we can't take showers and we have to get rid of human waste. Also, people make mistakes. That would have killed off a whole bunch more by now.
    Last edited by VeritableHero; Apr 13th, 2011 at 07:49 AM.

"Builder"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blogger5000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Supposedly you can survive long term at a Costco. Can't remember where i saw that but it'd be worth a shot.

"Lurker"

Status
    As I said before, nursing homes are a good place to load up on supplies. I'm sure geriatric zombies would be slower and easier to kill off There aren't normally doctors in the nursing homes. But there is a week's supply of enough food for 100+ residents, a month's supply of bottled water, tons of both over the counter and prescription meds, including pain meds and antibiotics. Flashlights, toilet paper, bathing and hygiene supplies, loads of linens, even generators. And if you were near a nursing home with a lock-down unit you could even possibly have a little short-term security. There are plenty of beds. The windows are non-breakable, and it can be locked securely.

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked
    That's a very good idea April! Unfortunately, there aren't any nursing homes nearby to my knowledge, but I'll add them to my list of raidables if I run into any while I'm on the move. Another good side about those is that most people won't think about them when thinking of supplies. Heck, I sure didn't
    Disclaimer!
    These are the ravings of an insane lunatic. Take nothing he/she/it says, does or looks like seriously

Wonderful story with an exciting ending

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aprilhw3 View Post
    As I said before, nursing homes are a good place to load up on supplies. I'm sure geriatric zombies would be slower and easier to kill off There aren't normally doctors in the nursing homes. But there is a week's supply of enough food for 100+ residents, a month's supply of bottled water, tons of both over the counter and prescription meds, including pain meds and antibiotics. Flashlights, toilet paper, bathing and hygiene supplies, loads of linens, even generators. And if you were near a nursing home with a lock-down unit you could even possibly have a little short-term security. There are plenty of beds. The windows are non-breakable, and it can be locked securely.
    Great idea in principle, but I'd like to contend on a couple of your points.

We've seen zombies take extreme punishment and keep going. This is something to consider about the lethality of old formerly geriatric zombies. They might not be able to make it away from their initial attackers, but once they turn it may not matter that they originally had a broken hip.

And while there is currently no evidence to this fact, mental illness seems to produce smart zombies just like the hospitals and libraries that Skittles mentioned. So it could be that anyone with Alzheimer's might become a smart zombie. Again, no confirmation.

I really like the idea of raiding it for supplies especially for medical supplies. That would be a resource not too many survivors would think of immediately.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

"Lurker"

Status
    LOL...good point. I work as a nurse in a nursing home. I'm not making fun of my lovely residents, but I'm sitting here picturing some of them as zombies. YIKES! At least most of them are toothless

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    YIKES! At least most of them are toothless
    You just made me laugh. Thanks!

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

YIKES! At least most of them are toothless
    Quote Originally Posted by VeritableHero View Post
    You just made me laugh. Thanks!
    I second that Hero! That was pretty damn funny
    Toothless geriatric zombies would provide you a tactical advantage...if you had to punch one in the face you wouldn't have to worry about their teeth cutting you, but you would not get the satisfaction of knocking their teeth down their throat
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    New to the forums....been listening from the start.....has anyone discussed a bank as a central location for a "Colony".......a large city safe would provide a temporary safehouse in case of a zombie blitz, just as saul, michael, and angel found shelter in the first chapter (The safe at the base....) I still dont understand why farms/greenhouses havent been mentioned as I am pretty sure zombies wont mess with plants so there is no need to keep them safe, just tended to from time to time? Most farms have their own water well and looking at the map a trip east could find a small farm

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Most stores operate on a "just in time" delivery system. At most the average Wal-mart, etc. has a couple of days of stock on hand. As the last one is sold off the shelf the replacement is coming in the back door. Therefore, it would not take that much too empty one.

The best time to prepare for a hurricane is plenty of time beforehand. About a month before the season starts people I know potentially in harm's way grab bottled water, food, and prep their evac kits. That way, they just throw everything in the trunk or back seat and go. I know one person who keeps a tank's worth of extra gas stored and stabilized in an outbuilding. They have a hitch-mounted carrier and strap the cans to it once they are packed to take the gas. That way when SHF time comes and everyone is crowding into gas stations along the evac route they just stop at about a quarter tank and gas up.

If you never let your tank go below half full you are more prepared than 90 percent of Joe Public:

http://www.pbase.com/rickhodges/hurricane_rita

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast