User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Me I would go to all the small out of the way places Like a Mom and Pop corner mini market or gas stations. Smaller location less likely to have been raided by mallers. Fewer zombies to have to deal with..
    Fruity Oaty Bar Jingle: Fruity Oaty Bars! Make a man out of a mouse! Fruity Oaty Bars! Make you bust out of your blouse! Eat them all the time! Let them blow your mind... ohh! Fruity Oaty Bars!
    "Burn it to the ground. My only regret would be not being able to burn it a second time." Osiris, on how the world should burn.

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked
    I'd start my raiding at a pharmacy and a gun shop. Food is surprisingly easier to come by than antibiotics, medicine and guns/ammo. Other useful stuff is salt (never can have enough in a situation like this), gas (both natural to use on grills etc. and for cars and stuff) and nails, screws and such.
    Disclaimer!
    These are the ravings of an insane lunatic. Take nothing he/she/it says, does or looks like seriously

Wonderful story with an exciting ending

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Guardian View Post
    I'd start my raiding at a pharmacy and a gun shop. Food is surprisingly easier to come by than antibiotics, medicine and guns/ammo. Other useful stuff is salt (never can have enough in a situation like this), gas (both natural to use on grills etc. and for cars and stuff) and nails, screws and such.
    Luna if the sh@t hits the fan and zombies rise up. If your in my neck of the woods I would follow you! I have been saying since Saul got hurt.. WHY aren't you guys going to the drug stores rather then the hospitals!!! why??? ( I would give you rep again but the machine won't let me good post!)
    Last edited by yarri; Apr 13th, 2011 at 03:41 AM.
    Fruity Oaty Bar Jingle: Fruity Oaty Bars! Make a man out of a mouse! Fruity Oaty Bars! Make you bust out of your blouse! Eat them all the time! Let them blow your mind... ohh! Fruity Oaty Bars!
    "Burn it to the ground. My only regret would be not being able to burn it a second time." Osiris, on how the world should burn.

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Thanks yarri!

As a general rule of thumb, you should mark the two-three nearest pharmacys, foodstores, gun shops and gas stations on a map (a paper one. And laminate it. Your high tech GPS thingamajigs will fail and if you don't protect your maps they'll be ruined by water or wear'n'tear. Trust me on this). You might want to list a hunting good store or two as well. Unless you live in a very remote place or in a very defencive spot (Tower etc.), you'll have to get on the move. Either use as much money as you have to buy this stuff or raid it. It's not like money or law will have any meaning in a day or two.
    Last edited by Luna Guardian; Apr 13th, 2011 at 04:22 AM.
    Disclaimer!
    These are the ravings of an insane lunatic. Take nothing he/she/it says, does or looks like seriously

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries
    Thanks yarri!

As a general rule of thumb, you should mark the two-three nearest pharmacy, food stores, gun shops and gas stations. You might want to list a hunting good store or two as well. Unless you live in a very remote place or in a very defensive spot (Tower etc.), you'll have to get on the move. Either use as much money as you have to buy this stuff or raid it. It's not like money or law will have any meaning in a day or two.
    Apparently we think alike.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    As a general rule of thumb, you should mark the two-three nearest pharmacys, foodstores, gun shops and gas stations on a map (a paper one. And laminate it. Your high tech GPS thingamajigs will fail and if you don't protect your maps they'll be ruined by water or wear'n'tear. Trust me on this). You might want to list a hunting good store or two as well. Unless you live in a very remote place or in a very defencive spot (Tower etc.), you'll have to get on the move. Either use as much money as you have to buy this stuff or raid it. It's not like money or law will have any meaning in a day or two.
    You'll make a very smart zombie. Good plan. +rep

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by VeritableHero View Post
    You'll make a very smart zombie. Good plan. +rep
    The whole point of my plan is not to become any kind of zombie!

But thanks
    Disclaimer!

"Scavenger"

Status
    I may not know just how big those places are, but I'm making a wild guess that there's no way that less than a hundred prisoners could empty all the costcos and Wal Mart's etc in the vicinity. Heck, I doubt they could do it to our malls and supermarkets, which are a lot smaller
    I don't think it was just the Mallers. Not everyone died immediately. I'm sure there was a panicked crush on all the supply sites as the crisis expanded. (I imagine the panic at the grocery store when a hurricane or blizzard is coming multiplied by about a billion lol)

There has also been mention several times of other survivors, mostly in Season 1. There was the other tower, recently dead humans at the water pumping station, and a live girl being dragged by a zombie outside the Arena. I suspect there were/are quite a number of small holdouts in various basements and whatever around the city, each of them slowly chipping away at the remaining supplies.
    Last edited by wooly; Apr 13th, 2011 at 06:59 AM.

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by wooly View Post
    I don't think it was just the Mallers. Not everyone died immediately. I'm sure there was a panicked crush on all the supply sites as the crisis expanded. (I imagine the panic at the grocery store when a hurricane or blizzard is coming multiplied by about a billion lol)
    Not really. Think about it, you know a hurricane is coming in advance (usually, maybe. We don't really have those here and blizzarda are so commonplace nobody cares) so everyone and their aunt has time to panic and prepare while the streets are reasonably safe. In the case of a zombie outbreak, people are dying left and right and the streets are deadly. There aren't that many people left before long and those who are are terrified.

Continuing with your hurricane example, would you go out DURING the hurricane to get supplies? Even if there were other survivors, I'm thinking they number maybe in the thousands in the vicinity of the Tower (vicinity being used very broadly here). Even these people wouldn't be able to empty everything from a super mall like you have in the States.

Now, the zombies, rats and other rodents (yup, zombies are rodents now) have chewed through whatever food there was and what they didn't get rotted away or otherwise went bad a long time ago. Still, I'm thinking there ought to be enough vacoom packed and canned stuff to last a long, long time. A person can survive on one can of tuna a day (it's stretching it, but trust me, even in combat situations in winter like you wouldn't believe it's possible). How many cans are there in an average Wal Mart? This isn't a rhethorical question, I really wanna know
    Disclaimer!

"Scavenger"

Status
    Actually, not that many. Just from memory I'm thinking maybe 100-150 on the shelf, dunno how many in the stock room. I believe they rely on a variation of "just-in-time" inventory. Basically you keep enough on the shelf to (hopefully) not run out and get resupplied frequently without tying up too much capital in items stored in the back. Same with the grocery stores. Both get daily deliveries, not weekly. When the trucks stop coming...

It's little enough that I have literally seen the shelves empty in a day just before a major storm or disaster.

I get what you're saying, but I'm thinking you're underestimating the power of human stupidity. People in a panic do wacky things - such as emptying grocery stores when they get scared by the weather forecast. Few people (at least in the temperate areas) plan that far ahead and lay in any substantial supplies. They would HAVE to go out or be hungry.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast