User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Waste not... Ah want not???

What do the people at the tower do with their waste. I mean you cant just leave it lying around, it would rot, cause disease and all sorts of issues would arise.

That being said there would be a free supply of rat meat...zom

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked
    Compost back yard? It's what I would do, waste turns into grade A soil, something you can't have enough in an apocalypse scenario

Wait...What??

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries

Raptr ID: WTF is a Raptr??
    The sewer system would still work. You can still flush the toilet when the power and water goes out. I just wouldn't want to go to the waste treatment plant.
    Wouldn't you know it... The first time I let a girl into my life and she trys to eat me. -- Columbus

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    You sure? I'm pretty sure the toilets won't function at all if there's no power or water. How would you get water above ground without electric pumps for use in toilets?

Wait...What??

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries

Raptr ID: WTF is a Raptr??
    When Kalani got to the tower, he had to use the rest room and then apologizes for not being able to flush. Michael said (paraphrase) "It's ok, we have someone come by and pour water in it every so often" As long as you put water in the tank, it will flush. We have to remember that toilets and sewer systems have been around since the days of Rome.
    Wouldn't you know it... The first time I let a girl into my life and she trys to eat me. -- Columbus

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    I didn't remember that part. I stand corrected.

Still, I think they would compost at least some of it

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Guardian View Post
    I didn't remember that part. I stand corrected.

Still, I think they would compost at least some of it
    If they still had the garden they might, but composting does nothing but stink. That's one hell of a risk considering zombies are attracted by smells.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: Lake IX
    It brings up an interesting thought though, sewers need constant maintenance to keep them up and running... No one is doing that anymore... How long before it all fails and the streets overflow with sewage

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ra1th View Post
    It brings up an interesting thought though, sewers need constant maintenance to keep them up and running... No one is doing that anymore... How long before it all fails and the streets overflow with sewage
    With the small amount of people alive that would use toilets the streets aren't going to be over flowing anytime soon. I will definitely agree that the system is likely to fail pretty quickly. I am also considering how deep underground sewage lines are in NYC and how much "empty" space is below them because of subways. I always felt that if NYC were to be rapidly depopulated in a similar manner, the sewer pipes would break and then fill up the subway system. So that's why I think the streets wouldn't over flow.

I honestly don't know what the LA underground is like. I assume there's some manner of subway system yes? Correct me if I'm wrong, I've never gone further west than Arizona.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

Zombie Researcher

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    In theory, the surrounding area would smell pretty funky by now - what with bodies, decomposing food, and garbage...I'm surprised the tower hasn't had more of a rat problem. And mosquitoes, too - there'd be standing pools of water, and no municipal services to spray pesticides. West Nile and dengue fever will be among the survivors' concerns. Typhoid fever and dysentery from contaminated drinking water is also a concern, as would be food poisoning and influenza. Nobody in the tower - save Saul - has had a serious medical emergency yet, but any survivors with diabetes, high blood pressure, or diseases needing treatment will find themselves running out of meds soon (diabetics on insulin would likely be in serious trouble by now). Anybody on anti-depressants or anti-psychotics will have needed to make a drugstore raid, and even those supplies will eventually dwindle.

With the waste issue, I suspect tower survivors would probably burn the solid waste and use sewers for liquid. They must surely be using a common latrine by now, since water can't be wasted to clear a toilet.

Come to think of it, nobody's had a dental problem yet, either. But what do you do when you've got a toothache or a broken tooth...and no dentist?
    Last edited by cPT.cAPSLOCK; Apr 9th, 2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: In the future, please use the 'edit' button to make additions
    Double tap.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast