User Tag List

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Why did they turn on Michael?

I've now listened to the podcast more than once and I still haven't caught the answer to this question. Around Chapter 14 (right after Tommy dies), everyone hates Michael. Why did they all blame him for what happened? Were they blaming him for the war because of the party? Or were they blaming him directly for what happened to Tommy? :confused:

I'm just a little confused and hope you all can set me straight. Thanks!

"Lurker"

Status
    I took it that most everyone blamed Michael for their losses (people, stuff, security) and his public display of emotion - all lumped as a failure of leadership. As a "soldier" he's held to a higher standard in the average public's mind - they think he should have all the answers - like there's some cosmic field manual for dealing with every situation. So that, combined with his own self doubt leads to the group's general rejection of him and his own self loathing and guilt - not to mention his continued (hinted at, but not specifically revealed) PTSD from his third tour. Anyway, don't know if that sets you straight, but its my interpretation.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Perhaps its just me, but it doesn't seem like anyone turned on Michael. Sure, Burt got mad for him wanting to ignore Tommy's body but that isn't turning on him. Burt also told him it wasn't his fault when he tried to recruit him for Saul's surgery and it was sincere. Remember at the same time you're saying everyone turned on him, they were also coming to him for leadership. Despite all that happened in the War, people were still coming to him for orders until he lost it emotionally and snapped.

I don't think anyone turned on Michael I think he just couldn't handle the pressure of what he viewed as a failure on his part. You never hear anyone say it was his fault or "I don't want him leading anymore" or anything like that. You hear Michael's interpretation of what he thought people were thinking, but you never actually hear another person say it.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    You hear Michael's interpretation of what he thought people were thinking, but you never actually hear another person say it.
    Interesting point. It's also Burt's perspective, though, that led me to feel this way.

Maybe "turned on Michael" is strong but they definitely blamed him. Burt indicated that they were sad as he passed by with Tommy's body, but their expressions turned to disgust when they saw Michael.

I think Saint's viewpoint is what I was thinking possible. Thanks for both of your thoughts!

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VeritableHero View Post
    Interesting point. It's also Burt's perspective, though, that led me to feel this way.

Maybe "turned on Michael" is strong but they definitely blamed him. Burt indicated that they were sad as he passed by with Tommy's body, but their expressions turned to disgust when they saw Michael.
    True. Very true. I always interpreted that differently. I didn't associate it to Michael, but the traitor. Well played.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

Presidential Feline

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    VeteranBlogger10000 Experience PointsWiki AmateurTagger First Class
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: ObamaCat PSN ID: ObamaCat Steam ID: ObamaCat
    I think Micheal was undergoing a lot of the stresses any leader faces and couldn't handle it. It would be extremely difficult to appease the masses in such a situation and he decided to give up the position. I don't think they necessarily "turned" on him per se.

"Scavenger"

Status
    The people in the tower needed someone to blame to cope with the situation that just happened. I didn't think anything would have happened because all of what Michael has done for them. They don't thank him when he does good but when he messes up they say some thing. It's human nature.

"Lurker"

Status
    It's simple they all only been lead by Michael, and didn't had any experience to compare with other leader. Once Burt stepped in we all see that it didn't turned up that well.
    Of coz when you angry and let down it's easier to blame someone else. Actually that is one of the aspects that separates leaders and followers, leaders don't blame others.