User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    "Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran

Gamertag: AnotherRedShirt Steam ID: AnotherRedShirt
    Yeah, no. I'm sorry, but if the voting board was indeed stacked like that and carried out in that fashion... The paper is devalued by having the award printed on it.
    It seems to me that this could cause more harm than good, even more than just undermining the legitimacy of their "award." It seems it would handicap the shows involved if they aren't getting challenged by newcomers and non "voting academy" nominees... all facets of production could stagnate. It also seems that it could also harm the reputation of the podcasting community as a whole. Nine years in and I still have to explain what a podcast is to people I meet IRL... I hope that this is something that those people don't hear about.

I'm sure they are all fine shows in their own right, but it sounds to me like the "awards" are merely an echo chamber of mutual admiration.
    It took a moment to find non vulgar superlatives, I think I'm happy with that.
    Likes Litmaster liked this post
    "I've got tons of great ideas. Trouble is, most of 'em suck." George Carlin
    "I've got the guns, the radio and the water for the Zombie Apocalypse, but you gotta have a yo-yo." Chris Boden

Hey, get a load of this. Guess who started writing again and has a spot in the fan fiction subforum?

Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon_Tyler View Post
    I've never heard of HG world - another zombie podcast??? :O
    Yeah. Go ahead and compare.... do the Zombie Pepsi Challenge:

http://zebrapix.wix.com/hg-world-entry

You can also find it on iTunes. Just search "HG World" in the iTunes store. A big part of the problem with this production, despite the fact that these guys put a good amount of time into it, is that they cobbled together audio files from disparate volunteer actors from all over the country, recording their lines in isolation, on a variety of different microphones and pieces of equipment. That is a good part of the reason for the disjointed quality of the production. I still think the audio engineer did a good job making chicken salad from chicken shit.... but it is no comparison to the sound quality of WA.
    Last edited by Litmaster; Mar 6th, 2014 at 05:50 PM.
    We're back Alive again for WA Descendants!!

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    WA Points1 year registeredWell Liked10000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by Litmaster View Post

Zombie podcasts are like women. I mean sure, we all would rather have a clean and disease free lady like Emma Watson (I meant to say 'our wives', but it always comes out as 'Emma Watson'), but sometimes you're feeling nasty and Miley Cyrus starts looking good for a side dish in between meals!
    Likes Litmaster liked this post

Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries
    One guy that hasn't been a stuck-up dick like the rest has been my friend Fred Greenhalgh, who has been running his contemporary audio drama review show, Radio Drama Revival, since 2007. He has been verbose in his praise of We're Alive and has featured Kc on his show several times.

Fred also runs his own post-apoc. audio drama called The Cleansed, which is worth a listen if you're waiting around for another one of Kc's episodes to come out. The production quality is decent, acting is so-so (hey, the guy lives in Maine....what's a brotha gonna do?), and he has really put his heart and soul into the story, even though he is not as talented a writer as Kc, IMHO. Check it out if you have some time.
    Likes Kc liked this post
    We're back Alive again for WA Descendants!!

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran

Gamertag: AnotherRedShirt Steam ID: AnotherRedShirt

They already lose points for having audio autoplay as soon as the page opens.

AAAAnnnnd I'm done. The imbedded player seems to be broken. I screwed around with the site and found what I think is supposed to be the show...
    ...um, no. Not impressed. I got as far as the kid... I think waking in the infirmary when I had had enough. Baaaad cut there. Fiveish minutes in and the story did not hook me, I felt more lost than anything else. The acting... well, I'll leave that alone. I only gave it five minutes.

But I will say this: I got a bit of a corny "USA Up All Night" feel... Normally that would be a cool thing, (awesome when you're 12, Buxom Blond Bikini Babes and what not) not so much for an audio drama.

This does not hold up. Especially when We're Alive is your yardstick. Pass.
    "I've got tons of great ideas. Trouble is, most of 'em suck." George Carlin
    "I've got the guns, the radio and the water for the Zombie Apocalypse, but you gotta have a yo-yo." Chris Boden

Hey, get a load of this. Guess who started writing again and has a spot in the fan fiction subforum?

"Maintenance Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranBeloved
    I think it does matter and it pisses me off. Consider though; who else is making up these awards? There seems like a need for relatively unbiased awards by a voting body of fans (like the Hugo at Worldcon or whatever Dragoncon does). Which makes me wonder if there needs to be a convention or some way to have an accounting of activity.

Personally, I think the episode of Puck relating the events at the jail should get an Oscar or, um, whatever award is relevant.
    Likes scbubba, Red Shirt, Litmaster liked this post

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    the question I have to ask, (and im 1000% a noob when it comes to other audio-dramas, this is the only one I listen to..well, season one of leviathan) but...

if it were an unbiased, totally legit voting format...would it not be stacking the deck in w/a's favor? if we look at the other nominations, do they have the access to the resources kc does to record, to have their production levels as high? are they based in an area that is the end all be all of potential actors? are their stories as deep and rich do to the complexity of the story? again, im asking because I don't know. but when viewed in that light...yea. w/a should win hands down... just for those factors.

the thing I look at, and the reason I don't see being passed over as a big deal...this podcast is on such a different level compared to the others that it could have its own sub-genre. labeling w/a under audiodrama, while accurate, feels like an almost unworthy label. it seems like the majority of other audiodramas (with exception to leviathan and to a lesser extent, welcome to night vale) try to keep the "old-timey" feel associated with the genre. the sad truth is this podcast transcends the genre its recorded into, thusly the recognition it should get from its peers does not happen.

with a part of me being an artist, I look at what kc's doing in much the same way as when Jackson Pollack began throwing paint at a canvas on the floor instead of an easel. until his work reached a level where he had surpassed all his nar-sayers and his collegues, his work was not accepted and ultimately scoffed at. it was only after he reached a point where his acceptance was beyond what his contemporary's could achieve that he was welcomed by the community. in some ways(and in some ways not) that's what kc is doing. every aspect of this project has been very techno-forward in a very old-timey genre.

while im not inside kc's head to know his motivations, ultimately this project has been a way to progress his name and career as a writer in a field that's really, really flooded with talent. doing so in a unique way, and with the tools at his disposal. acceptance among those left behind you is really not something id concern myself with.

todd-0
    KAW

W/A convoy supply and general manager: info? follow ? > @_toddisdead

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

motherfucking joe rogan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Lurker"

Status

Let's clear a few things up...

Fucking rigged! Here we go again with these incestuous pinheads. They can wipe their asses with their awards... WA is King in the court of public opinion...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooer View Post
    That sounds a bit biased/unbalanced....surely the audio drama with the largest crew would win the different awards....unless they couldn't vote for themselves....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooer View Post
    What a totally fair award. So, when are you going to be entered into an award that is going to be fair? lol

Swear every time i hear about an award for audio dramas, i hear that it is unbalanced/biased in one way or another.
    Lot's of speculation and hate flying around here, so I figured I'd drop in a set the record straight on a few things.

But first off, some introductions... my name's Landon Beall, and I was actually a member of this past year's AVA Team. Specifically, I was involved as the webmaster and oversaw the various technical implementations that were used during nominations and voting.

The way the AVA's work is that only people who work in Audio Drama are able to vote (meaning we're more or less like the SAG Awards). This criteria would include everyone on the production team for We're Alive (i.e. all of the actors, mixers, directors, writers, graphic artists, webmasters, PR team, ect.), and everyone else working in the same or similar production roles at other free audio drama and/or production group on the net. The overall idea being, that those in the audio drama community are able to vote for what they consider the best.

Now, does that mean there was any rigging or cheating? As one of the individuals in charge of monitoring voting patterns, I can definitively say there was not.

That said, one thing we *did* see was one small production group who only voted for their productions (and little else). In other words? This small group attempted to rig the vote. This did manage to impact one voting category, though the effects of their greed did not affect the outcome of the winner so we left things alone. But to clarify, this one incident does not constitute any rigging on our part; merely a selfish attitude among the individuals who participated in said attempt to rig the vote.

Yeah, see I know of Gwendolyn Jensen-Woodard, and her Gypsy Audio, which has some fairly interesting stuff, but the production quality is NO WAY NEAR what you'd find with We're Alive. Aside from that, she mostly puts out short stories and adaptations from folktales or OTR productions. Again, not terrible... but meh.

I think the real issue here has to do with relationships and 'insider' politics. Kc doesn't seem to filter through the niche audio drama community near as much as someone like, say, Julie Hoverson from 19 Nocturne Blvd. (cont.)

(cont.)It's too bad these people have to act as they do. Why even bother nominating WA if they know they are just going to slam it anyway? This is just like in the 2011 Parsec Awards when We're Alive lost out to HG World for the long form audio drama podcast. Absolute fucking horseshit. And I don't think Cristoff has won anything for the Leviathan Chronicles, either, even though it is probably second among production quality and story in terms of current long-form audio dramas out there.:
    I can't speak for Gwen as I don't work with Gypsy Audio (I work with Pendant, in case anyone was wondering), but Gypsy only won in one category. And that was with next to none of their own members voting for their own shows (Again, I can confirm this since I monitored voting).

Additionally, you make an unwarranted jab at "...these people have(ing) to act the way they do." Nominations were open to everyone (fans included), meaning We're Alive was nominated because someone felt it needed to be. Also, the same goes for why it wasn't nominated in more categories... because someone felt it didn't need to be. And once more, the same goes for why it did not win in the finals: because enough voters thought another show was better.

We tried our best to keep these awards fair and honest. There was no rigging, no insider politics, and no horseshit. So, if you're wondering why We're Alive didn't win, chock it up to more folks from your production team (and voters coming from others) not voting for it (Also, for the record, I can confirm that very few people from the We're Alive team voted in the AVA's).

Some good news though: If it makes folks feel better about the AVA's, I can confirm that We're Alive came in second place in all but one category it was nominated for. Meaning you guys still did well. That's something to be extremely proud about.

If anyone has any questions of comments about anything I just said, please let me know! I'm more than happy to answer them: negative or positive.
    Last edited by Beallman; Mar 7th, 2014 at 09:56 AM.
    Likes scbubba, LiamKerrington, Kc, Gooer liked this post

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    @Beallman

good on you for taking the time to post that.
    Likes Beallman, Gooer liked this post
    KAW

W/A convoy supply and general manager: info? follow ? > @_toddisdead

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast