User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

An Alarming Level of Intelligence

The level of intelligence of the Zombies in We're Alive is rather startling. We know they can track survivors by smell, but that's not intelligence exactly. That's instinct. So take away their ability to smell and track their prey. That's not what I'm talking about.

One major reason I think the Tower has survived as long as it did is they Tower didn't present a major or immediate danger to the Zombies. They are relatively small, and it seems like their scouting parties never really surpassed 1 vehicle. Every time we hear about a group of survivors being trapped or attacked by Zombies, it's a convoy. The Kalani Tower (for lack of a better descriptor) was attacked first. They were better organized and prepared according to Kalani. So to take them out first would be a priority for your survival. This goes against every animal instinct there is. You attack the weakest and most feeble because they are easy prey. The Zombies are attacking strong targets first, and cleaning up the rest as they go. That demonstrates a sophisticated level of organization. And when did Ink arrive at the Tower? After the Arena had been infiltrated. That required an immediate response.

In the Arena, they have stock piled food. They don't have to venture out to get nourishment if they don't have to. They can just walk down the corridor and lo! It's a gigantic pile of flesh to chew on. But what truly concerned me about the arena were the fires. Datu doesn't describe the fires, but I think they are significant. They don't seem to be raging out of control fires (I'm sure that would have been mentioned), but controlled fires. They have figured out how to set and control fire, which if you think back through human history was the launch point of our civilization. The Zombies have created a home with creature comforts: Food, warmth, and entertainment (See: Samantha).

Of course we know they can build a trap. The only trap we've seen in action is against Datu. It's primitive, but effective. They realized the tracker was something the humans put on them, and they used it as bait. We can only suppose about the attacks on the Convoys and cars being used to block roads since we haven't seen them in action yet.

Last, but certainly not least, is Ink and all he brings to the story. Ink has the ability to speak and understand language. He also retained basic literacy since we know he entered the code on the door. Ink seems to have the capacity to have fun (again, See Samantha). But he also commands his legion. He calls them to his side, orders them to retreat etc. The moment that alarmed me more than any was during the War aftermath when he was on the rooftop observing the battle and basically calling out orders. Not to mention the fact he seems to know exactly when he's about to be shot at and moves. Twice Burt has aimed at him, and twice he moved at the last moment.

So the question is: How smart are they? Are they becoming smarter as they adjust to their new lifestyle? Are there any more examples you've seen in the series/heard about from character stories that lead away from the mindless hunter?

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Skittles tells Angel and Kalani to stay away from Hospitals and Libraries because of the "Brains." He says he can't hide from them so he stays away. That confirms Burt's theory about the smarter you are in life the smarter you are in death.

"Scavenger"

Status
    This is one of the best hooks to the story! These are neither Romero-esque shamblers nor 28-Day style ragers, but something new. There certainly seems to be a structure based on intelligence and skill specialization here as well as a form of ranking, society and communication. It's fascinating and I can't wait to hear more. It certainly ups the danger level to the survivors and brings new challenges which this genre really hasn't had - at least in the zombie stories I am familiar with. Even after 18 chapters I'm still not sure what to call the enemy. Is zombie appropriate? Or mutant? Or infected? I'm really not sure. Kudos to the writers for bringing something new, I'm liking it.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    I've settled on calling them "creatures."
    Zombie sure as hell doesn't fit the majority of them. Infected doesn't either.

"Builder"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    *points to url of podcast and forum* Zombie seems to fit.
    Zombies aren't and haven't been just one thing in years so it's silly to nitpick because these mutate differently than we're used to.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    I'd actually have to nerdly argue that part with you Mascaria. Zombies historically are the dead risen like is "Night of the Dead." When you see the shuffling, rigor mortis, arms outstreatched things,only interested in human flesh... you automatically go ZOMBIES!! The myth has just been twisted just like the Vampire ledgends have (see Twilight) to fit each authors vision. The infected persons version that we've come to love like 28 days, Resident Evil, Dead Space type "creatures" are recent versions. When you see the running, red eyed, jumping, climbing NON rigor mortis having things your now practiced-and jaundiced- eye goes INFECTED!

"Builder"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    :hem hem: Allow me to please refute your argument!

If you're going to get technical the rising dead ala Night of the Dead aren't really zombies either since zombies are the risen bodies or people cursed by a voodoo practitioner, died and then come back to life as the brainless slaves of the spell caster. They don't eat flesh or brains and they can't infect others and have been known to be cured by emotionally stressful situations. White Zombie, being the first full length zombie movie would then be the authority on what is or isn't zombie, but since we end up with very few voodoo zombies and more "other reason" zombies, it obviously isn't that zombies are one thing but have evolved into a genre with different causes.

War, War Never Changes.

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsHigh Level WikiTagger Second ClassVeteran

Gamertag: ii st4rs ii
    You guys have both good points. I've recently been calling "zombies" Infected. Cause it fits the word. But until we find out what cause the infection in the first place, I'm still calling them Zombies.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: Lake IX
    Does it really matter what you call them? we know what their properties are, what does it matter whether u call them infected or creatures or zombies, i'd say call em zombies cause its called the zombie podcast, but no matter what u call em, it doesnt really change anything
    Angel's #1 Fan

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Can I say how entertaining it is to see this go on such a tangent? What started as a (long winded and slightly rambling) post to accumulate examples of the Zombies intelligence has gone into a semantic debate over their title.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast