User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by Witch_Doctor View Post
    This was like learning that there was no shooter on the grassy knoll.
    Back... and to the left.

Back.... and to the left!
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran

Gamertag: AnotherRedShirt Steam ID: AnotherRedShirt
    For further reading, there was a lot of discussion on the cracks, geology & simultaneity of outbreak locations during the discussion for Chapter 28, pt. 3/3.

And: some of my supposition from that thread:

Quote Originally Posted by cupcakezombie View Post
    Again the problem I have with this is the timing and perhaps the location of the University/College in relation to Inglewood. If there was an underground explosion of that sort of level that he could hear, then it is likely that the might have felt the ground move. To make cracks in the ground of that size it needs to be a reasonable major jolt.
    An earthquake or explosion wasn't something that any of the reports they collected in the Tower mentions. It seems to be likely that might have come up at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Shirt View Post
    True, to crack open the Earth as deeply as it is implied by Saul's surveying, it would have to have been a significant quake. Something on the order of 6, 7 or even higher magnitude. Unless the widening of the cracks is something that has been taking place for a loooong time, slowly and steadily. The "explosion" could have been the "gas" build up inside the crack(s) finally punching through and there was no quake at all.

Another thing that occurred to me today is that Kolani said that this started on the Big Island and then spread. As it happens, only the Big Island has active volcanoes today. Two in fact. He also said that they were nastier there than the ones in LA... The crust is "thinner" in Hawaii, therefore it stands to reason that IF something welled up from below the surface, Hawaii would get a bigger/worse "dose."

The analogy I'm thinking of is an air bubble under a sheet of ice. It will spread out, "looking" for ways to escape. Either through holes (Hawaii) or cracks (San Andreas and sub-faults)

So, did this only happen to Hawaii and LA? Or did this happen all around the Pacific rim, along the "Ring of Fire?" Or globally, starting at faults and volcanoes?

Here's the thing. We can kick around all these reasonable hypotheses, but why the near simultaneity of the "event?" In my mind casts doubt on it being "natural." So is it the "End Times," the awakening of an Eldrtich Horror, or has Mother Nature finally had enough of our crap?
    And more from 29; 2/3:

Quote Originally Posted by Litmaster View Post
    ...Uh, Unless the Outbreak Didn't Start Along the Ring of Fire...
    So all looks good for the Ring of Fire thing. However, way back in Ch. 2-3 ("The Two Things"), at 2:23, when they are listening to the TIVO of the news broadcasts about the outbreak, the following cities are mentioned as having 'rioting':
    • LA, San Diego, Detroit, Houston, Chicago, New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Shirt View Post
    I don't think that it is strictly related to the Ring of Fire alone. It is just that that particular area of the planet is, shall we say, a bit more obvious in its seismic activity.

Houston is riddled with faults and Northwest Houston is apparently sinking.

New York Has a fault right under 125th street.

Detroit & Chicago

Close enough to the New Madrid and Wabash Vally Fault Complex/Seismic Zones in the Reelfoot Rift, that there could easily be undiscovered tangential faults. There could even be undiscovered fault complexes further north, as it has been noted that New Madrid activity is slowing and Wabash Vally is increasing. Like something is moving north.

Point of note: the two big quakes in New Zealand recently were on a previously undiscovered fault. I'd be curious to see what the status of other seismically active areas is in WA. Places like Iceland, the north Mediterranean and the Horn of Africa.

My research into this for the reply and for a fan fic I am working on revealed the Brevard Fault Zone in Atlanta. Cuts right through northwest metro, parallel to the Chattahoochee river and apparently the southeast border of my county. Snap.
    Sure, I'm being lazy linking to those threads, but why retype them? I also wanted to put them into context as well, since they were replies to questions...

But during this, an idea I have been noodling for a bit has finally jogged loose...

BATMOBILE! INTERNET!
    "I've got tons of great ideas. Trouble is, most of 'em suck." George Carlin
    "I've got the guns, the radio and the water for the Zombie Apocalypse, but you gotta have a yo-yo." Chris Boden

Hey, get a load of this. Guess who started writing again and has a spot in the fan fiction subforum?

Administrator, 14th Floor of the Tower.

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First Class5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by scbubba View Post
    </3
    What I find really scary about the whole Zombie Apocalypse conceptual life style isn't the Zombies themselves, but rather the fact that we are now a species so disgusted with normality and society that some of us would actually prefer it" - Some Zombie Nerd

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Interesting all the initial outbreaks occurred on the Pacific Rim.

"Researcher"

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurWA PointsBeloved25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: D4wGxxB0neS
    Quote Originally Posted by kdalton View Post
    Interesting all the initial outbreaks occurred on the Pacific Rim.
    Yup, thats why I've always said that I think it's a natural occurance. The Earth just farted and now everyones eating each other. I think our characters may never find out the cause, and at best may speculate to it, and I'm betting that they will speculate that it was a natural occurance. Although I do think they will eventually see evidence in the bodies and develope a possible cure or prevention.
    Likes Witch_Doctor, scbubba liked this post

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by Robzombie View Post
    Yup, thats why I've always said that I think it's a natural occurance. The Earth just farted and now everyones eating each other. I think our characters may never find out the cause, and at best may speculate to it, and I'm betting that they will speculate that it was a natural occurance. Although I do think they will eventually see evidence in the bodies and develope a possible cure or prevention.
    This guy. This sentence. Awesome.
    Likes Hanniekuma, Witch_Doctor liked this post
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

"Lurker"

Status
    I was origionally thinking the crack could be from a San-Andreas fault earthquake, but San-Andreas doesn't directly go through LA. Anyhow, some mysterious gas could be turning ppl into zombies. Some kind of gas released from the earthquake.
    Likes Hanniekuma liked this post

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience PointsWell Liked
    When the earth cracked open it released demons to infest humans so satan can have his turn ruling the earth with there being different levels of demons that is were the other kinds come from at first when they arrive they do not know what to do with themselves and go crazy but now that they have been here for a while they start to follow Lilith (ink) lucifers highest general demon to lead his army of demons (zombie) but our Hero's can not let this happen so they will find out how to close the gates of hell and banish these creatures from this world for another 10,000 years ha ha ha
    Likes Storm, Hanniekuma, Witch_Doctor liked this post

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    I'll go stick with the idea of a big mean extraterrestrial giant squid deep under Inglewood...

Likes Hanniekuma, Witch_Doctor, scbubba liked this post

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points3 months registeredWell Liked

Gamertag: ashe2ashe
    Actually Los Angeles, Ca is riddled with "Fault" lines that shift to cause earthquakes.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast