User Tag List

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Cool What is We're Alive to you?

Just what it sounds like.

Consider for a moment, after three season of awesome, what is the story about? I want to know what the story is for you.

I've thought long and hard about this question over the last month, preparing for the final season and an end to Happy Mondays for the foreseeable future, and the conclusion I've come to is:

We're Alive is about a man's struggle to figure out what his role in the world really is. It's pretty much a coming of age tale. A young man is thrust into, not only a position of power, but also a level of responsibility that is almost unfathomable to a "regular John." Imagine you're suddenly responsible for the lives of twenty people, you have no safety net, nothing to fall back on, and it's not just surviving the elements, it's surviving--and thriving--through chaos and war.

I love Scratch, and of course the story is very Scratch-centric for me, but it's not really what it's about.

What about yous guys?
    Likes Hanniekuma, turbo liked this post
    joint-point-counter-joint

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Oh, I like this question. And your thoughts on it too, Osiris.

To me, it's got a macro and a micro part for "what it's about". Macro is humanity's struggle against some long odds and battling back from near extinction. The fact that there has been some incredibly large number of people killed (as far as we know) takes it out of the normal Hollywood fairy tale ending genre and puts it in, to me, a better class for that kind of story.

On the micro it's about what individual people do when they are put up against something so big. Do they have what it takes? Will they stay true to themselves? Do they finally discover who they really are and what really matters to them? Since I'm such a Firefly fan, I'll use the quote that Shepherd Book used from the warrior poet, Shan Yu "…live with a man 40 years…share his house, his meals, speak on every subject…then tie him up and hold him over the volcano’s edge. On that day, you will finally meet the man."

Hope that makes some sense anyway.... Thanks for starting the thread, Osi!
    Likes Hanniekuma, REZombie, Osiris liked this post
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Ah, Book. Now that's a character right there, sir. I agree. It seems to come down to the question of mettle. It's starting to feel like a very personal story. Then again, every writer's work is personal, and ultimately a reflection of who they are, what they fear, and all the things they hate about themselves.
    Likes scbubba liked this post

Your loyal web dev.

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA Points10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive

Gamertag: XtremeRSR PSN ID: SenatorX
    We're Alive to me is a great depiction of how the human race will live on forever. No matter the battle, dangers, enemies, or downfalls, we will prevail on top of everything else. Like scbubba says above, the story has had, so far, very little chance of having a happy ending. In life, there are not a lot of happy endings, but we still conquer the bad and make our own ending as happy as can be.
    Likes Osiris, scbubba liked this post

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Loved5000 Experience Points1 year registered

Gamertag: Archlycan
    We're alive to me is a depiction of the human condition. the different psyche's and struggles we all deal with both internally and externally... the innocence.. the protectors.. the psychopath.. the cautionists/preparers... that under the most extreme of circumstances our true natures appear and all social masks fall to the wayside.
    Likes Osiris, scbubba liked this post

"Maintenance Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranBeloved
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    Just what it sounds like.

What about yous guys?
    It's a puzzle that might be worth learning the answer to.
    It's how people look to KC, and how he wishes they looked.
    It's a piece of quality art-writing, acting, sound work, chapter art etc.
    It's an exercise in will that I'm watching unfold (KC's)
    It's a creative, suspenseful story that successfully overcomes my been there done that cynicism
    It's a story told over a campfire
    It's an alternative to the roller coaster which I don't like.
    It's a reason to chat with people who I find interesting.
    Likes Hanniekuma, Osiris, scbubba liked this post

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Good answers, fuckers.