User Tag List

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Question Question about ... "handy" or "cell" ...

Hello everyone,

some dudes in a German forum want to teach me that the average American uses the word "handy" instead of "cell" or "mobile". Is this true?

In Germany we call the device a "Handy"; right; we are English-butchers all the way down; our mobile-devices are called "Handys", neither cell, mobiles or whatever ...

I know an American girl who lives near my place and who travels to the USA a lot; she lives here because she is married to a German guy. She is from LA and kepps telling me that the American-English word for the mobile-phone is usually "cell" or "mobile", sometimes "mobile device", but not "handy".

Does it change to "handy"? Please tell me, that this is not true ...
    All the best!

Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
    Hello everyone,

some dudes in a German forum want to teach me that the average American uses the word "handy" instead of "cell" or "mobile". Is this true?

In Germany we call the device a "Handy"; right; we are English-butchers all the way down; our mobile-devices are called "Handys", neither cell, mobiles or whatever ...

I know an American girl who lives near my place and who travels to the USA a lot; she lives here because she is married to a German guy. She is from LA and kepps telling me that the American-English word for the mobile-phone is usually "cell" or "mobile", sometimes "mobile device", but not "handy".

Does it change to "handy"? Please tell me, that this is not true ...
    All the best!

Liam
    Born & raised in the US, Lived here for more than 40 years, have travelled through about 45 of the states in the country and have NEVER heard a mobile phone referred to as a "handy"...

Usually it's a cell phone or a mobile phone. Cell or mobile for short. More recently I've heard folks over here use "smart phone", too.

BTW, in a lot of places "handy" can be a sexual reference...
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Thank you, scbubba. I feel much better now.

I did some basic wikipedia-research. Looks like the Germans' "Handy' has its originis either in an early handheld by Motorala (1940ies), which was called Handie-Talkie SCR-536, while in 1992 the company Loewe released a mobile-device called "HandyTell 100". Hobbiest doin' a lot of CB-radio-communication used "Handy" as an short-form of hand-held transceiver. So, this is probably a very German special language-Kraut, I'd say ...

Really, "handy" can be a sexual reference? I thought "rubber" could be ...

edit: I just checked the urban dictionary on "handy" ... Oh my ... What did I do? Sorry.

All the best!
    Liam
    Last edited by LiamKerrington; Jan 7th, 2013 at 04:10 PM.
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
    Thank you, scbubba. I feel much better now.

I did some basic wikipedia-research. Looks like the Germans' "Handy' has its originis either in an early handheld by Motorala (1940ies), which was called Handie-Talkie SCR-536, while in 1992 the company Loewe released a mobile-device called "HandyTell 100". Hobbiest doin' a lot of CB-radio-communication used "Handy" as an short-form of hand-held transceiver. So, this is probably a very German special language-Kraut, I'd say ...

Really, "handy" can be a sexual reference? I thought "rubber" could be ...

edit: I just checked the urban dictionary on "handy" ... Oh my ... What did I do? Sorry.

All the best!
    Liam
    Just be real careful when asking someone on the street for a handy. Might not end well.... For one of you, anyway....
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registered5000 Experience PointsWell Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by scbubba View Post
    Born & raised in the US, Lived here for more than 40 years, have travelled through about 45 of the states in the country and have NEVER heard a mobile phone referred to as a "handy"...

Usually it's a cell phone or a mobile phone. Cell or mobile for short. More recently I've heard folks over here use "smart phone", too.

BTW, in a lot of places "handy" can be a sexual reference...
    I'll second that. The only time I've heard "handy" is in reference to, well, that...

Riley's Drinking Buddy

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki Amateur10000 Experience PointsVeteranBeloved

Gamertag: HarKor1283
    More and more cell phones are being referred to as just "phones" since people are starting to get rid of landlines all together and only use their cell phones. But "cell" is still the most common term I'm pretty sure. I don't know if there are some regions in the US where "mobile" is common or not. I always thought that was more of a British term. But I never heard the term "handy" used for a cell phone until I took German in college.
    "There a many ways to kill a zombie, but I find the most satisfying way is to stab it in the brain with a wooden stick." Dwight K. Schrute

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Cells are bad. My uncle lives in a cell. It's ten foot by twelve and he has to read the same boring, old magazine everyday. The end.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    In Switzerland, a mobile / cell phone is referred to as Natel.

In general, it is a marketing thing. For Germans, the term "handy" sounds like a fancy (and appropiate) English term. Weird, is it not?