User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    "Hoarder"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    I've been curious about Cell, but I've been let down by King enough times to be a little wary. Maybe I'll take a leap and pick it up.
    I too have been let down by King and I'll say Cell was a let down as well. Though mostly King looses me on the first few chapters I stuck with Cell til the end, that's when it got stupid.

"Hoarder"

Status

I'm going to go against the grain on this one... I think WWZ is highly overrated.

I did enjoy alot of the book but I was taken out of the story on by him making up terms and his complete unfamiliarity with the military. For example:

-No one in the military has ever called a grenade a "'nade"... it's ridiculous to the point of being distracting
    -The Battle of Yonkers scene was absolute crap, it seems like Brooks didn't even use Wikipedia to see how M-1 Abrams tanks work or even how devastating artillery would be to a densely pack mob of people/zombies
    -More on Yonkers, the way that the military reacted in the book makes me think that Brooks has a thing against the military. To think that there would be one plan with zero contingencies is absurd.
    -More silliness at Yonkers, I laughed out loud when the guy was saying that the higher-ups couldn't adapt and wanted to fight a conventional war against the Zombies... the military has conducted countless actions that are considered "other than war" from police actions in the Balkans to aid after Katrina, pretty sure those aren't fighting the Reds in the Fulda Gap.

Those are just a few of my technical disappointments with this book.

The other thing that got me was every charecter sounded the same, it was basically a collection of mini-Max Brooks throuought the book using the same slang and terms wheather they were in China India Japan US or Europe. Everyone sounded the same.

I could go on about how boring I found this book but I don't want to burn the calories.

Day by Day is way better, and Zone One was another good one and a bit of a heavier read.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leedo2502 View Post
    I'm going to go against the grain on this one... I think WWZ is highly overrated.

I did enjoy alot of the book but I was taken out of the story on by him making up terms and his complete unfamiliarity with the military. For example:

-No one in the military has ever called a grenade a "'nade"... it's ridiculous to the point of being distracting
    -The Battle of Yonkers scene was absolute crap, it seems like Brooks didn't even use Wikipedia to see how M-1 Abrams tanks work or even how devastating artillery would be to a densely pack mob of people/zombies
    -More on Yonkers, the way that the military reacted in the book makes me think that Brooks has a thing against the military. To think that there would be one plan with zero contingencies is absurd.
    -More silliness at Yonkers, I laughed out loud when the guy was saying that the higher-ups couldn't adapt and wanted to fight a conventional war against the Zombies... the military has conducted countless actions that are considered "other than war" from police actions in the Balkans to aid after Katrina, pretty sure those aren't fighting the Reds in the Fulda Gap.

Those are just a few of my technical disappointments with this book.

The other thing that got me was every charecter sounded the same, it was basically a collection of mini-Max Brooks throuought the book using the same slang and terms wheather they were in China India Japan US or Europe. Everyone sounded the same.

I could go on about how boring I found this book but I don't want to burn the calories.

Day by Day is way better, and Zone One was another good one and a bit of a heavier read.
    First, my grandfather, two of his sons, and my old neighbour all served. They've called them 'nades' on more than on occasion, so you are wrong. Second, Yonkers was a fun fight, engaging, and entertaining. Third, in the age of information sharing being a single click away, terminology tends to travel faster than sound.

Day by Day was a totally different book, better is subjective at best.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Hoarder"

Status

First, my grandfather, two of his sons, and my old neighbour all served. They've called them 'nades' on more than on occasion, so you are wrong. Second, Yonkers was a fun fight, engaging, and entertaining. Third, in the age of information sharing being a single click away, terminology tends to travel faster than sound.

Day by Day was a totally different book, better is subjective at best.
    Dude I'm calling Bullshit on the 'nades. No one has ever said 'nades. It's stupid.

Don't try and cover for lazy writting by using the internet as an example. I've been all around the world and they all have their own colloquialisms. Even in the englishspeaking countries there are huge gaps in terminology and slang.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Dude I'm calling Bullshit on the 'nades. No one has ever said 'nades. It's stupid.

Don't try and cover for lazy writting by using the internet as an example. I've been all around the world and they all have their own colloquialisms. Even in the englishspeaking countries there are huge gaps in terminology and slang.
    Call bullshit all you want. Deal with it.

"Hoarder"

Status

Call bullshit all you want. Deal with it.
    Nothing to "deal with." You can have your own opinion but not your own facts. "'Nade" isn't used by anyone in the military past or present. Just because a bunch of kids use it when playing COD doesn't mean those of us who have actually been in the military use them. For clarification we don't call an M-203 a "n00b tube" nor do we call sitting in an LP/OP "camping."

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Nothing to "deal with." You can have your own opinion but not your own facts. "'Nade" isn't used by anyone in the military past or present. Just because a bunch of kids use it when playing COD doesn't mean those of us who have actually been in the military use them. For clarification we don't call an M-203 a "n00b tube" nor do we call sitting in an LP/OP "camping."
    ROFL. Ok kid.

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    "The Enemy" by Charlie Higson is a great zombie book series where all adults turn into zombies... Lord of the flies type story

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    BloggerVeteran5000 Experience Points
    RISE AGAIN by Ben Tripp... very interesting story but the ending was bit forced and flet like he added 10+ pages just to finish the book. Yet that aside the story and description was very well done.

I especially like the Zombie types and the MERC style Gov't hired private security too. Believable in many aspects and I call this one a READ
    “Live as you would have wished to live when you are dying...”

"Lurker"

Status
    So many great titles, think a recommended reading list would be a great thing to come out of this list. I loved WWZ. I liked how the stories were done. I do not think he was unfair or otherwise towards the military, I do think that should we ever have this problem that someone will attempt to fight a conventional war against an unconventional enemy, - that mistake is not new.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast