User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "Fresh Meat"

Status
    Also, as Kalani mentioned, there are additional risks in taking off in a plane if the noise attracts fleshbiters. If birds can force a crash landing into the Hudson River, having a fleshbiter decide he needs a haircut via your plane engine probably doesn't bode well for your chances of success.

The Silent One

Status
    Achievements:
    High Level WikiTagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Guardian View Post
    3) Flying an airplane is a lot more difficult than flying a helicopter. Kalani is the only qualified pilot they have and if they couldn't get an airplane big enough to fit everyone, it'd be very risky for the survivors to fly with whoever is the second pilot.
    Ummm. . .have you flown a helicopter before? They're way more complicated than an airplane due to having to constantly adjusting the pitch of the main rotor, which makes flying a plane is a whole lot easier than flying a helicopter, and it'd be a lot easier to get someone trained to fly an airplane.

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    I dont think that the character of Kalani would have been created as a pilot if that skill was not gonna come into play at some point right? Im not entirely familiar with how helicopters work but they do seem to be good for situations with little space to take off and land. Even if they wouldn't use it in order to evacuate the tower it would be nice to use for scouting and information gathering.

Also I would love to see the top of a zombies head get chopped off by the blade just like in the beginning of the original Dawn of the Dead... but thats just me.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Guardian View Post
    Couple of problems with the airfield theory:

1) as already mentioned, the survivors have no idea and no way to find out the condition of the airstrip at Fort Irwin, therefore making a landing potentially impossible, something the Tower couldn't afford.
    2) Forget about landing for a second. How would they take off? LAX has been described as a wreck and even if they had a clear strip, they would have to find a plane that works and is gassed up (something that they could probably do, but the wrecked airfield is still a problem).
    3) Flying an airplane is a lot more difficult than flying a helicopter. Kalani is the only qualified pilot they have and if they couldn't get an airplane big enough to fit everyone, it'd be very risky for the survivors to fly with whoever is the second pilot.
    Flying a chopper is incredibly hard to. I think the season will end with A jumper

"Scavenger"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevermatter View Post
    I dont think that the character of Kalani would have been created as a pilot if that skill was not gonna come into play at some point right? Im not entirely familiar with how helicopters work but they do seem to be good for situations with little space to take off and land. Even if they wouldn't use it in order to evacuate the tower it would be nice to use for scouting and information gathering.

Also I would love to see the top of a zombies head get chopped off by the blade just like in the beginning of the original Dawn of the Dead... but thats just me.
    And damage the rotor blade? no thanks!

"Gatherer"

Status
    how would you see that in an audio medium?

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kafu288 View Post
    how would you see that in an audio medium?
    with a line that says "Holy crap! The rotor blade took that one's head clean off!"
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

"Hunter"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassWell LikedVeteran
    So Parts, question answered now? Also, Kalani listed the reasons in an episode, I'm sure of it. And even if Fort Irwin does have a landing strip in real life why should it in We're alive? The tower doesn't exist according to google maps. Its fiction, unless I dosed of and missed it, weird ass creatures haven't taken over the world.

"Scavenger"

Status
    That base is a stretch. I would have tried 29 Palms or NAB Coronado. Anyway I'm sure the location will work being in the middle of nowhere.IE less people alive or dead.
    Last edited by Bravo Team Leader; May 25th, 2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Grammar

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Quote Originally Posted by rolsskk View Post
    I hardly doubt that it'd be cluttered. The biggest issue would be knowing the condition of the runway and the airplane itself. The spool-up time is going to be significantly longer than a helicopter, not to mention there's a lot a prep time that'd go into just getting a larger airframe good to go.
    Well there would always be the possibility of the air-strip being cluttered like LAX was when Burt and Saul were looking for the helicopter. Not knowing anything about helicopters (you seem to know much more), I can't say anything about prep time or how long it takes to get one off the ground, but a large plane can't be much easier to prep, let alone land on an airstrip that could be in disarray.

Plus, I was motioning in favor of the helicopter since a plane would be harder to land, I wasn't saying a plane would be a better option.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12