User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    "Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Maybe they had Time Warner Cable internet. It probably was already out.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranExtreme LoveOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: kc wayland Steam ID: waylandprod
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveCrowBarWillTravel View Post
    Here's a great article on the North American Power grid and Rapid Zombification. I tripping that this guy actually answered the question.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...ctricity-fails

From what I can see, most of the LA area is run via coal and one Hydro plant.

He says power would last about 12-18 hours without a good number of non infected folk.
    We're mostly coal, at least from all my research. Northern California might be different, but hydro's about 15% in total.
    12-18 hours is a good estimate of time. Sometimes more, sometimes less. In the case of our survivors, more.

The internet would be stable and unstable depending on where you are when systems start to go offline. Obviously by the time power ran out, it was all done, but in the short time the pieces were failing there could have been certain lines of communication that were still somewhat operational. You can bet people were still trying to use their phones/internet services after everything went down. We didn't focus on it as much since the first Chapter, when Saul and Angel were trying to use their phones and they weren't working. As for other forms of communication, I'll leave that open for discussion.

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    KC,
    That's cool man. Thanks for the get back.
    I know that Land lines would run longer and people would be able to go old school dial up after the towers stopped working. My jaded Midwestern mind would assume that a good majority of urbanites wouldn't even blink at a "riot" in LA, not at first. So, until they started hearing stories of people being turned into 5 course meals, they wouldn't touch google or DVR.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranExtreme LoveOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HaveCrowBarWillTravel View Post
    KC,
    That's cool man. Thanks for the get back.
    I know that Land lines would run longer and people would be able to go old school dial up after the towers stopped working. My jaded Midwestern mind would assume that a good majority of urbanites wouldn't even blink at a "riot" in LA, not at first. So, until they started hearing stories of people being turned into 5 course meals, they wouldn't touch google or DVR.
    The only experience I can draw from is when trying to deal with some of the equipment in the military. If one piece of the communication power piece is missing, then the whole thing seems to fail.Even at the university I work at. One hub goes down and poof- There's so many variables that no one will know for sure............. until it happens.

6 Degrees of Seven Bacon

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerPro Level Wiki Editor10000 Experience PointsVeteranLoved
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc View Post
    The only experience I can draw from is when trying to deal with some of the equipment in the military. If one piece of the communication power piece is missing, then the whole thing seems to fail.Even at the university I work at. One hub goes down and poof- There's so many variables that no one will know for sure............. until it happens.
    [/PARANOIA]
    Now, don't be putting your technical voodoo upon this world, Wayland. I've finally figured it out, you've created this podcast to gain the knowledge of all the best zombie survival strategies humanity can think of, then you'll systematically shut down the power grid and unleash your zombie hordes upon us all, directing them into our safehouses and cause the downfall of us all...

Its almost too easy...

P.S. It was the last sentence that gave you away.
    [/PARANOIA]
    "Run..." Was his final word as he exhaled for the last time.

Damn Hand Cannon

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Got to finish my internet download. You know, all of it.. Seriously though wouldn't it be nice to download some databases for such an event. Info such as WebMD would be a plus, though it will undoubtedly be light when it comes to hands-on re breaking a bone to cast it.
    What Website/s would you like access for information? Information will be the currency of that future. But with SMARTIES stay away from the Library! I am thinking it could be useful to carry a external hard drive. 1TB up to 3TB is still portable. I looked and Wikipedia decompresses to over 5TB.
    Teeth
    Does rocking the Claw Machine a worthy apocalyptic talent?

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

This is an honest recommendation, download survival guides. How to purify water, water storage, etc.. etc.. Local storage can be accessed with a generator. The internet would be gone...

"Scavenger"

Status
    Screw the internet; there's gotta be an old-school Ham radio operator somewhere who survived in his Cold-War fallout shelter. Those radio signals can reach around the world sometimes; it should have been a priority of the Tower gang to try and contact other survivors via emergency radio at least.

Cory Doctorow wrote a story "When Sysadmins Ruled The Earth" where system administrators are the only survivors of the apocalypse and they keep what's left of the Internet going....

Damn Hand Cannon

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc View Post
    This is an honest recommendation, download survival guides. How to purify water, water storage, etc.. etc.. Local storage can be accessed with a generator. The internet would be gone...
    Survival guides? The Kindle is looking better and better. 2,000 books and a battery that lasts.

If I have 18 hrs I'll be maxing out my wife's credit card on how to books for the kindle. (shaking head)
    Someone should contact Amazon and make sure they have an apocalyptic plan where they just give survival books away! (Laughing to myself)
    Teething
    Does rocking the Claw Machine a worthy apocalyptic talent?

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    LOL.. Batteries that last? Last as long as a book? Tech is gonna fail. The environment will get to rugged for tech to last any longer than a couple months. Something solar powered would last a bit longer, but small electronics are frail. You'll be running, falling, jumping.. your kindle could get water damage from all the crying you'll do because all hope is lost. ROFL.
    Going into any survival type store... er, military surplus store and load up. There will be survival guides galore. You don't have to get into a libray, Not right away. Besides, who remembers how to use the Dewey Decimal System anyway? ahahah.
    Oh yah, Teeth.. Amazon does have such a thing. Search for Listmania. People have already compiled ooogles of things to use for a Zombie take over. All you have to do is pick and choose from which items you think are groovey.
    KC,
    you know that anything we use in the military is made by the lowest bidder anyway. Heck, I haven't been able to do any work for 2 days because half the system is down. Like the author said in the site. The best thing to do is just load up on generators and a couple tankers full of petro.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast