She's a dirty hippy. That's why.
    It is the Left Coast after all... X-D

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunja View Post
    It is the Left Coast after all... X-D
    First off, I'm offended. Second, Its the west coast. Third, Pegs could be like me and has a big problem with Human to Human violence. I, on the other hand, am not afraid to pick up a gun and shoot some flesh-bitting thug in the face.

"Lurker"

Status

I think her aversion to weapons is a weak spot in the writing here. A person will either get tough or they won't survive very long in a zombie apocalypse.

"Lurker"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Th3_T3ch View Post
    First off, I'm offended. Second, Its the west coast. Third, Pegs could be like me and has a big problem with Human to Human violence. I, on the other hand, am not afraid to pick up a gun and shoot some flesh-bitting thug in the face.
    Zombies are undead, the people they used to be are already dead and gone. There should not be a problem with using violence to destroy zombies.

That said, Peg is a liability as she has made a choice for passive martyrdom over self defense. She does not value her life nor the lives of anyone in the group enough to fight for their defense.
    Last edited by Sixgun_Symphony; Sep 29th, 2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: added text

Zombie humper

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsPro Level Wiki Editor10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran

I am a mechanical engineer, my job is to solve problems and I am good at it. New Engineers often waste a lot of time trying to fix symtoms instead of figuring out what the root causes are.
    To break people of this habit I teach them to keep asking "Why?" usually up to 8 times. The following is a true story but as a parent I probably think my kids were smarter than they really were.

After the last big school shooting my kids came home from school and told me that some teachers told them that guns need to be banned.
    I got irritated instantly that educated people want to respond with emotions instead of logic. I told my kids that I was going to quickly teach them to be smarter than thier teachers and they got instantly interested. This is roughly how the conversation happened. I just kept asking WHY?

1. Why should Guns be banned? Because somebody shot a lot of kids at a school today.

2. Why did the Guns want to kill those people? What do you mean? The kid wanted to kill those people

3. Why did he use a Gun and not a bomb or poison? They were not sure about this, eventaully they said because he had access to guns, maybe he heard about someone else using guns on the news, maybe its just the cool ways to kill.

4. I repeated the question until they were firm with thier answer, Why did he not use another method? Guns were available so he used them, He could have killed those people a bunch of ways, Drive a gas truck into the school, start the school on fire, plant a bomb, Poison (They saw on the news a man the died from mixing bleach and amonnia)

5. Why are your teachers telling you guns need to be banned if you can easily kill people in other ways? They pause... well we should do something and banning guns is the first thing we thought of. I heard that the guy in charge of that state was going to try to ban guns.

6. Why would a politican want to ban guns? Its all over the news he has to do something, if he doesn't do something people will be pissed.

7. Why do you think banning guns will work? My oldest son turned into a smart ass: Duh Dad did you not pay attention to us??? If someone wants to kill there are a lot of ways to do it

8. Then Why do your teachers want to ban guns? I don't know they must not have thought about it

At this point my kids came to the conclusion that the real problem was that the kid wanted to kill people, guns were just one of many methods he could have used

9. Why did that Kid want to kill all those people? I heard that all the kids in school picked on him and that his mom abused him.

10. Why not try to stop bullying and stop people from abusing kids? There is already progams in school to stop bullies but there are still kids in school that get bullied alot

11. Why not try to make those anti-abuse and anti-bully programs work? The teachers can't be everywhere and the parents of the meanest bully at school don't punish him. If we tell the teacher he just beats us up after school. Its REALLY hard to stop bullies.

12. Why do think people are trying to ban guns if it only took 5 minutes for you to figure out that the real problem is much more complicated? People want to do something and banning guns sounds like it would work.

The reason my boys quickly came to this conclusion is because my opinions have influenced them over the years. If I went through this exercise with one of thier anti-gun teachers they might come to the conclusion that banning guns is not the whole solution but they will probably think its still a good idea. I RESPECT the opinion of someone who looks at it logically even if I don't agree with it.

The problem is that most people with strong politcal views will refuse to question them. I tired to do this exercise the next day at work and people withstrong polical opinions (either for or against gun regulation) REFUSED to do it. My conservative friends just say "Guns don't kill without a person to pull the trigger" My liberal friend just say "There is no reason to have a gun that (has more than 6 bullets... is more powerful than...)"

I know that engineers naturally think differently than most people. I just don't understand why everyone doesn't think like me! my way just makes more sense
    Last edited by Duffusmonkey; Sep 29th, 2013 at 06:57 PM.
    LOOK AT MY AVATAR!!!!! I have a bottle of trioxin 245 in my hand and I am NOT AFRAID TO USE IT!!!!!

Zombie humper

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsPro Level Wiki Editor10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran

I completely jumped the shark on the subject. Pegs KNOWS that guns are needed. I don't care WHAT happened in her past refusing to handle a gun puts the people around her in danger, She is a typical Political type ( Liberal OR Conservative) Her needs & beliefs are more important than the freedom & lives of anyone else.

The only reason Pegs shot Latch was because SHE wanted Michael at the time. If that had been Saul instead of Michael she would have left Saul die.

By letting Saul die she would have deprived Victor of the great platonic love of his life and for that I can never forgive Pegs.

P.S.
    Sixgun what do you brew? I am lucky enough to have a great microbrewery 4 miles from my house so I don't have to urge to brew my own beer. I nice 9ABV double IPA is calling to me right now! Beer Advocate had revied thier Thai IPA but not their Thai Double IPA yet. Citrusy(almost mild grapefruit?) ginger with a smooth hint of caramel. I think the double IPA is actaully smoother than the regular. I just started drooling a little

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/27926/79542
    Last edited by Duffusmonkey; Sep 29th, 2013 at 07:13 PM.
    LOOK AT MY AVATAR!!!!! I have a bottle of trioxin 245 in my hand and I am NOT AFRAID TO USE IT!!!!!

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well Liked1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Something that I caught that I haven't seen mentioned here is that Pegs seems to know how to handle a gun..... and I don't remember her being being trained with the others.

Two things that lead me to believe this:
    1) She shot latch with no fumbling
    2) when they where on the way to the colony the first time she took over guard duty with a gun (& shut Michael down when he tried to tell her how to use it.... After he got over the fact she even asked for it)

If I'm right than there is more to her not wanting to handle guns than meets the eye (even though I agree that we've past the point where we're going to get the answer in story...... Bonus features maybe)

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well Liked1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Sorry one more thing.... A girl that stands in front of a cat to save its life will shoot when ANY of her friends are in danger (so Saul would have been safe)

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: ZombieMorbid
    I know a couple people that i think would honestly die before touching a gun, even if the zombies were coming....and seeing as how they are in LA, i'm not shocked honestly...Alot misinformed people in places like CA, NY and such, that didn't grow up with a knowledge of firearms, and having it etched into their brain that "guns are bad". So i wasn't surprised when a charactor didnt want to have anything to do with a firearm..However, when shes had no other choice she picked it up and did what had to be done.
    Likes Elisa liked this post
    "You may find me dead in a ditch one day...But by God you'll find me in a pile of brass!"

The hardest part about the Zombie Apocalypse will be pretending that i'm [I][B]NOT [/B][/I]excited!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345