User Tag List

"Lurker"

Status

Kimmett was wrong, then he was right?

Okay, I have been digesting the last four chapters of Season 3 over and over again, debating with myself regarding Michael and Kimmett's actions. The whole back half of the season was a tragic chain of events that cost the lives of over 100,000 people and nearly saw humanity's end.

It is my interpretation that Michael asked or suggested the LA mission which directly caused the death of Captain Long and her recon team. I can understand why he suggested it, but the decision to send in that team directly led to ... the attack on Boulder because Kimmett ordered the Chinook to Boulder instead of Irwin because it was his injured niece on board. If he had not done that, the Little Ones would never have gotten near Boulder.

Once things got out of hand, Kimmett made the right call to nuke the city. It was the only way to be sure. Michael talked him into waiting on it. That ensured some of the turners got into the convoy. This meant Irwin's fate was sealed.

Kimmett's first error, though, was to place the civilian population so far away from Irwin that the base could not offer immediate support when needed. Boulder was a massacre waiting to happen.

Then Kimmett nuked himself and Irwin, killing all the other Little Ones in the process. So in the end, Kimmett was justified. Had better decisions been made at the beginning, though, all of it could have been avoided or mitigated.

Just saying.
    Last edited by DemetriusH; Dec 27th, 2021 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Removing links

"Lurker"

Status
    Agree. These are good and relevant points. I do believe that there were not enough "what if" suppositions from his side. Kimmett wasn't asking such questions. In this case, it was an illustrative example how micro-management can lead to a macro-stream of errors.
    Last edited by DemetriusH; Dec 27th, 2021 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Removing links