User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Prepperville *all things survival*

Okay, so let's talk survival gear, daily carries (knives, guns, whatever), B.O.B.s, and so on.

My girlfriend is getting way too excited about building some kits for camping, extended hikes, general outdoors adventuring. She laughed when I told her I was into bushcraft, and a year later she's all packs, bank line, axes, and knives.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well Liked1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    MRE's aren't too expensive, especially if you buy them online. As Angel said, "...a person could live on one a day!"
    Likes Osiris liked this post
    People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by General Malarky View Post
    MRE's aren't too expensive, especially if you buy them online. As Angel said, "...a person could live on one a day!"

Her brother can pick up whatever we need on base. Discount like a mofo, son. But I'm totally okay eating MREs. Right now I'm trying to convince her to let me buy a Gransfors Bruks axe. No way it's going to happen, but I'm going to try.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well Liked1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    Okay, so let's talk survival gear, daily carries (knives, guns, whatever), B.O.B.s, and so on.

My girlfriend is getting way too excited about building some kits for camping, extended hikes, general outdoors adventuring. She laughed when I told her I was into bushcraft, and a year later she's all packs, bank line, axes, and knives.
    Multi-purpose survival knife......sleeping bag, flint kit, an ax, a flare gun, purified water tablets, hand-crank radio, compact fishing rod, first-aid kit......to name a few.....
    Likes bluestarred, Osiris liked this post

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Annamarie08 View Post
    Multi-purpose survival knife......sleeping bag, flint kit, an ax, a flare gun, purified water tablets, hand-crank radio, compact fishing rod, first-aid kit......to name a few.....
    I'm of the mind that everything you pack should serve more than one purpose, but knives should be dedicated to processing wood, food, and 'cutting'. I've watched too many people trying to use them as screwdrivers or prybars. It's infuriating.
    Likes bluestarred, Annamarie08 liked this post

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    I'm of the mind that everything you pack should serve more than one purpose, but knives should be dedicated to processing wood, food, and 'cutting'. I've watched too many people trying to use them as screwdrivers or prybars. It's infuriating.
    I'm totally with you there. It makes me mad. You could break or bend your knife when trying to pry things, and then where would you be?

Fishing twine is a great tool. It can be used for traps and fishing, and to hang your leftover food to keep it from wildlife.
    Likes bluestarred, Osiris, Annamarie08 liked this post

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:

Her brother can pick up whatever we need on base. Discount like a mofo, son. But I'm totally okay eating MREs. Right now I'm trying to convince her to let me buy a Gransfors Bruks axe. No way it's going to happen, but I'm going to try.
    Those are nice axes, I use a Wetterlings.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well Liked1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class3 months registered

I'm totally with you there. It makes me mad. You could break or bend your knife when trying to pry things, and then where would you be?

Fishing twine is a great tool. It can be used for traps and fishing, and to hang your leftover food to keep it from wildlife.
    Fishing twine is awesome. Really strong & handy. I've used it for so many projects not involving fishing! Funny, too - I remember when I was fishing with my 8 year old once - the fish kept stealing her bait.....so I wrapped a piece of my hair around it .....worked like a charm! Lol!
    Likes Osiris liked this post

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

One of the great things about bank line. It has uses from fishing, to trapping, to clothing/equipment repairs, and of course, building shelters. Makes more sense than carrying needle and thread.
    Likes Annamarie08 liked this post

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Those are nice axes, I use a Wetterlings.
    Yeah, I'd like a Wetterlings for a camp axe (processing wood and game), but the GB I want for carving. I know it's borderline ridiculous to bring a slew of axes, but a belt axe, and a forest axe make sense as far as tools go. I've been scouring the net for axe heads last couple of months in search of something relatively clean I can reshape into an axe for carving. Trying hard to not spend $280 for the GB carving axe.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast