User Tag List

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Question The German G36 Assault Rifle

Hi Guys,

I wonder: Currently there is a lot of heated debate about the German G36 assault rifle which is the standard assault rifle for the German military forces. According to some expertises the weapon is supposed to be "bad", because its accuracy suffers from heat a lot. According to one expertise the accuracy drops by up to 50% as soon as the gun barrel or surrounding reaches temperatures of 77+ °Fahrenheit.
    Last week I happened to watch a brief report that in the USA the G36 has a good reputation, and many gun-owners are eager to have one in their collection.

I would like to know: What is your opinion and especially expertise on this weapon?

(I hope this topic does not violate the forum-rules; I just remember that some of you used to be discussing all things weapons a lot on this forum ...)

Best wishes!
    Liam
    Last edited by LiamKerrington; May 12th, 2015 at 11:14 AM. Reason: corrections ...
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran

Steam ID: Merlin1274
    I am not 100% familiar with the G36 other then I do not like it in BF4. I own several AR15s. They all suffer from loss of accuracy from heat. Some weapons are just better and dissipating the heat faster. But it still wise to let the cool down some. But that is hard to do in the heat of battle (no pun intended). Will have to read up more on the G36.
    Beside most of the ones sold here are Semi Auto which is called a SL8 which varies some but based on the G36. Since its not fully automatic heat is not that big of an issue.

HK has expressed its desire not to sell their rifles to civilian markets but have come around on that with a few offerings. They do sell some nice handguns. But they are typically too pricey for me. I will stick with my Rugers.
    After reading up more on them I have found out the heat issues will also cause the plastic housing to melt.
    Last edited by Merlin1274; May 13th, 2015 at 05:36 AM.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Hi.

Thanks Merlin. From your posting I conclude that the G36 is not half as popular in the US as the report I referred to wanted me and other information-consumers to believe. Else you would have made a statement like "Yeah, awesome gun ..:" or "Big fail, to unreliable etc." ... Instead you have made some investigation on your own, and it seems like there is only some random information available ... Or is my conclusion (too) far off?

Best wishes!
    Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran

Steam ID: Merlin1274
    Nope your conclusion is pretty accurate. There are a lot better guns on the civilian market here. Like the IWI Tavor, SCAR, Plus the tried and true AR15/M4.
    Likes LiamKerrington liked this post