User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    "Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsWell Liked

Looking for other Podcasts, preferably Audio Dramas

A little bit of background -

Before August of this year (2014) I had not once listened to a podcast. Nothing about what they were interested me.

I received an extremely subtle recommendation to try out The Nerdist with Chris Hardwick, and after that, I became hooked.

The very second Podcast I tried after that was We're Alive.

Almost every other podcast since has felt like absolute shit.

I have tried the following radio-style dramas:

Toothless: Shit. Narrated by Author with very little expression in his voice.
    Aural Stage Studio Presents 1918: Decent, could be good, but only 4 episodes long, each episode only about half an hour. Its shortness makes it far less gripping
    Bad Audio Theatre: It isn't doing anything it says it isn't. It is Bad Audio, and I guess it is theater. They would be a mark ahead by calling it Bad Acting & Audio Theatre.
    Moonlight Audio Theatre: Only listened to one episode so far, and it was pretty decent with a mediocre soundtrack. Its production value is good enough to give it multiple listens, but it isn't serialized - each half hour episode is a new episode. I'd like something with some longevity
    The Thrilling Adventure Hour: I've only listened to the first two episodes. It focuses too much on satire. I don't mind a good show that makes fun of itself here and there, but a show that only makes fun of itself is ultimately a disappointment.

I have also tried the following Interview style podcasts:

The Nerdist: The one that started it all for me. The earliest episodes are the best, and I only listen to the ones whose guests truly interest and/or stick out at me. There are over 600 episodes, so I've got close to a year of listening covered. Out of the more recent episodes, it can be hit or miss, but in the last couple months of episodes, a decent middle of the road. Still, most guests, I really learn a great deal about their industry, and how they got there, and the tale of success has a very common theme - Don't ever stop, don't ever give up, and get used to hearing No, and embrace it.
    FEaB: Matt Mira/Scott Molser - Two not-so-great-at-hosting personalities shoot the shit and talk about it without very much direction. Its too slow to be a train wreck, so its more like a toddler trying to carry a cup of milk in a sippy cup.
    Sex Nerd Sandra: Ultimately, an interesting podcast. But to be honest (and not trying to sound remotely like a casanova), very little is learned. The feature about different toys was interesting, not having any experience, but ultimately, its pushing a product I'd have to go out and spend money on if I were to take much out of it. I'd prefer entertainment in my head instead of in my bed. (I'm at work after all).
    Mike and Tom Eat Snacks: I would like this if the focus was on the snacks. But they spend 20 minutes just getting to the snack, and as soon as they're done, they continue talking about stuff completely unrelated. The title of this one gave it plenty of potential, but it failed miserably on behalf of the listener.
    We're not Dead: I like this podcast for the same reason I like the Nerdist. The first several episodes were really uncomfortable in parts, but ultimately, the mission comes out successful. They have a specific topic up for discussion, discuss the themes of the most recent episode, and then they bring in surrounding, and sometimes unrelated themes to the discussion as well. I like this, because it follows a linear plot. Sadly, it is essentially over. I do still plan to listen to the rest of the episodes when I listen to We're alive again, so that i can compare and contrast my own ideas to the adjacent time line that they are discussing.
    James Bonding: Quite good, actually. Matt Mira and someone else named Matt watch James Bond films, and talk about it. I like these style of podcasts. But, Unfortunately, it is not so easy in this day and age to watch all the Bond Films without buying them. No more blockbuster, and not all of them are on Netflix streaming. In this day and age, i'm also pretty defiant against disc-based technologies, so I won't ever subscribe to the Disc Service side of Netflix.
    Competitive Erotic Fan FictionHilarious Concept, falls short on delivery. My idea of "erotic" is not the same as their interpretation of an Aristocrats joke. That's fine, but it would be nice to hear a genuine competitor who throws in a pun here and there, instead of just writing a story that is as disgusting as humanly and inhumanely possible. There is the occasional contestant that nails it, but 5 competitors per episode, and you're lucky if 1 does.

**edit** This one actually grew on me. Competitive Erotic Fan Fiction is definitely hit or miss - per performer/contestant. Some of them are geniuses, and craft some hilarity. I would give this a listen, as long as you've got headphones on.

Doug Loves Movies No offense to stoners in general. I just am not one. I want to like this, but each episode doesn't really have much of a mission/plot. It has a different guest each episode, and that is nice, but they end up just talking about movies in general, and not any particular genre, or specific movie, really. Maybe this changes in later podcasts, but I only give them 1 or 2 episodes before deciding it isn't for me.

So, there you have it. The complete list of podcasts. With the exception of The Nerdist, and We're alive, I've really only given every podcast mentioned up there a listen each of about 2 episodes. That was all it took me for We're Alive to get me hooked. That was all it took me for the Nerdist to get me hooked. I think that is plenty of allowment to get me.

Any recommendations?

**edit** I should add, that I know part of the reason that We're Alive is so successful is that it has outstanding production value with the creators and players all with their hearts in the right place.

1) Foley Studio - This is something that even some television (sketch) don't have budget for, and are forced to use stock audio.
    2) A well thought out plot - What is a story if you don't know where it is going to go? It's improv sketch theatre. Good luck at getting serious longevity.
    3) Real Actors and Actresses and Serialized recording - Its one thing to take individual actors and put them into a sound box and just get their lines, but when there are sequences where the actors and actresses are all in the same room, it really builds a greater dynamic, and those moments can be heard by the listener.

____

Too many of the above lack this.
    Last edited by NickShades; Oct 1st, 2014 at 11:00 PM.

"Researcher"

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurWA PointsBeloved25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: D4wGxxB0neS
    Just throwing out a couple for you that I ended up liking a lot, and just like you I have been spoiled by WA and cant be bothered to listen to just anything. Heres some that I've enjoyed. Not going into any detail as right now I do not have the time.
    Public Enemy Zero. Its an author read book.
    Scott Sigler has some good stuff, mainly his short stories.
    Then another favorite was Underwood and Flintch.
    There are others but cant recall atm. Hope you give those a try and I hope you find something enjoyable.

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    Thank you very much.

I'm going to update my above, I decided to try two more episodes of "Competitive Erotic Fan Fiction" and there were a couple stories that were actually extremely well done.

One was a guy who took his Google Maps Navigation directions, and made them into a very well played scene of erotic double entendres. Another was a gal who read a faux yelp review - those annoying yelp reviews, where the person writing it completely avoids the foods, and instead talks entirely about the interior experience they have with the other patrons, and touch nothing about the food, and use nonsensical colloquialisms. -- And then as an aside, instead of throwing in things like, "I think the waitress was trying to get a bigger tip out of me," she would have the character say, "I think the waitress wanted... needed my tip." Very craftily worded and written, and ultimately spoken.

___

I'll definitely try out your reviews. Blah! So frustrating to be spoiled early, eh?

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well Liked1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    When you run out of we're not dead switch over to the we're alive fancast - mick & red beard do good work.

For spoiler filled movie reviews check out the drive home (short form) with Kc & Blair & Now Playing (long form & their retrospectives are epic).

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:

Edict Zero FIS is a glorious audio drama series.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Hi.

Interesting thread.
    Well. If it comes to podcasts most often I focus on podcasts relating to one of my major hobbies: roleplaying games.

And that, actually, is my approach towards podcasts. "We're Alive" is the one great opportunity and up until now unchallenged Audiodrama per se. I haven't tried anything else yet, just because I have not searched for an alternative; but the few things I tried every now and then did not convince me. "We're Alive" was not only promissing, but especially excellent right from the first minute onwwards.

Ok - here is another recommendation, which does not qualify as audio-drama, but as in my opinion awesome audio-book. And that is "World War Z" with Max Brooks and many more or less well known actors and actresses. I tried a couple of other audio-books, but except for some older products from Germany (Lord of the Rings, Der Steppenwolf) I have nothing on my plate I would like to recommend. But most certainly I don't stick to the alltime favorites in Germany, 'cause the themes don't catch me (like the crime-stories from "The Three Questionsmarks").

Most podcasts I listen to are interview-style. And I enjoy them a lot, because they are very lively and dive deep into my hobbies or interests - like for example some of the podcasts around EvE Online or RPG. But I won't mention any specific (yet). I just want you to know: I prefer to search podcasts that suit my interests very well. (OK, "We're Alive" is the one really big exception.) I tried many, and I can tell you that some podcasts did not catch my attention. But since I have a very focussed approach towards looking arround for podcasts, I am very glad that up until now effort and "payout" are very well balanced.

So here is my question for you: What is it you are interested in? Looking at your posting I am not certain what I could or should recommend you to do ...

Best wishes!
    Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsWell Liked1 year registered
    Our Fair City http://www.ourfaircity.com/ is a well put together audio drama, with a great cast who are dedicated to putting out a quality product and having fun. They are more comedic than serious.

I've also really enjoyed The Leviathan Chronicles http://www.leviathanchronicles.com/. This audio drama boasts over 60 actors and original music, they tell a great story and I'm excited for second half of the second season. Also as a bit of a bonus there is an interview with KC and the WA team that I'm pretty sure KC was wasted for. Unfortunately I cannot find the link, as I'd love a re-listen.

another good listen is Radio Drama Revival http://www.radiodramarevival.com/, or The Sonic Society http://sonicsociety.org/. These podcasts feature works from different creators, sometimes you will get a few episodes from one story, sometimes it will be a few shorts, sometimes just one episode. These shows are how I found Were Alive
    Likes LiamKerrington liked this post

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
    What is it you are interested in? Looking at your posting I am not certain what I could or should recommend you to do ...
    I'm looking for a gripping audio drama as good as we're alive (in production value, and heart in the right place for its actors and production staff) with beautiful foley-crafted sound effects and a desire to want more after it is all done.

Leviathon Chronicles sounds like it might very well be a logical place to go to, next. I like World War Z as an audio book. I wouldn't mind getting more audio books, but damn they are sure expensive. I must sound like a real ass if I'm unwilling to pay to play, right? But thats the truth. Unfortunately, audiobooks can really suffer the hit or miss syndrome, while podcasts, you can just download.

I've got about 300 hours in front of me of talk-show podcasts on my phone that I'm going through right now. I'm really just looking for something gripping that is epic drama.

Best wishes!
    Liam
    Thanks!

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NickShades View Post
    I'm looking for a gripping audio drama as good as we're alive (in production value, and heart in the right place for its actors and production staff) with beautiful foley-crafted sound effects and a desire to want more after it is all done.

Leviathon Chronicles sounds like it might very well be a logical place to go to, next. I like World War Z as an audio book. I wouldn't mind getting more audio books, but damn they are sure expensive. I must sound like a real ass if I'm unwilling to pay to play, right? But thats the truth. Unfortunately, audiobooks can really suffer the hit or miss syndrome, while podcasts, you can just download.

I've got about 300 hours in front of me of talk-show podcasts on my phone that I'm going through right now. I'm really just looking for something gripping that is epic drama.
    Naw, you don't sound like an ass. There are more than enough well done audio-things available for free, because the producers are just willing to share what they love to do. Certainly: If someone gets payed, it may become more likely that the quality might be better as well; this will be especially true if the money is used for high-performance equipment, a good and dedicated crew. But looking at WA I see that money is not the requirement in order to get the good stuff.
    But I guess Kc has spent a fortune in order to get things rolling.

Anyway: Don't worry. You don't sound bad at all.

It is quite unfortunate, though, that I am not able to recommend you any gripping audio-drama. My focus is on the interview-stuff, as I already said. I think I will give "Leviathan Chronicles" a try. But I am concerned, if this semi-scifi and semi-immortal story will grip me ... Time will tell.

Best wishes!
    Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Podcast Untitled, with our very own smalls_kenobi. It's pretty funny, and it's available on iTunes.

But if you want to forget the world, and laugh your sack off...

Tell' em, Steve-Dave.

http://smodcast.com/channels/tell-em-steve-dave/
    joint-point-counter-joint

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast