User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked

And the rest of the world?

Hey all again.

So the story's over and all things are fine and dandy for the past 14 years in the US of A. What about the rest of the world? We had one mention that there were outreaks in other parts of the world as well, but judging by the last chapter, the main gas pockets and outbreak were in the US. What happened to the rest of us? Were there Inks all over the globe? Did the outbreaks stop before they reached catastrophic proportions? How about remote, cold ass countries like Finland and Switzerland, where there are a bunch of guns and trained people who can actually live once the internet goes down with natural defences like mountains, islands and vast distances? Is the world overrun by zombies and will they show up in the US at some point? I understand that the main audience is American, but just a little something about the rest of the world would be nice to us international fans.

Cheers!
    Likes DemetriusH, MrRedBeard, Witch_Doctor liked this post
    Disclaimer!
    These are the ravings of an insane lunatic. Take nothing he/she/it says, does or looks like seriously

Wonderful story with an exciting ending

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well Liked1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    I think the rest of the world is in the same situation as the US is. Survives hanging out & getting used to the post z world. I fact you may be better off than us because you saw it comming (even if only by alittle) & learned for our mistakes.

The only place that had it this bad was LA, because only LA had Ink.

Updater of the Wiki

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassPro Level Wiki EditorLOVED TO DEATH25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: G00er PSN ID: Gooergaming Steam ID: Gooergaming
    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Guardian View Post
    Hey all again.

So the story's over and all things are fine and dandy for the past 14 years in the US of A. What about the rest of the world? We had one mention that there were outreaks in other parts of the world as well, but judging by the last chapter, the main gas pockets and outbreak were in the US. What happened to the rest of us? Were there Inks all over the globe? Did the outbreaks stop before they reached catastrophic proportions? How about remote, cold ass countries like Finland and Switzerland, where there are a bunch of guns and trained people who can actually live once the internet goes down with natural defences like mountains, islands and vast distances? Is the world overrun by zombies and will they show up in the US at some point? I understand that the main audience is American, but just a little something about the rest of the world would be nice to us international fans.

Cheers!
    I would assume that since Ink was only in LA, the rest of the world (including the rest of the USA) Had an easier time, due to none of the specials that Ink had created; no Little ones, no Behemoths, no jumpers/runners, etc (if Ink made those too, not sure...). It may be possible that they started large colonies a lot sooner than our survivors did.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    We know what happened somewhat. It is covered in season 3 with "Beyond Our Walls". But after Ft. Irwin and Boulder became the last large safe havens in the US we know nothing. There were outbreaks in other countries (I don't remember which ones though) and given that Irwin lost contact with other countries we can infer that the world has gone to shit. (knowing full well that Kc wouldn't just excuse the fact that there were US naval ships stationed all across the world)

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooer View Post
    due to none of the specials that Ink had created; no Little ones, no Behemoths, no jumpers/runners, etc (if Ink made those too, not sure...)
    Actually during the Q/A session after the live stream of the finale, I believe KC said that his "zombies" do follow the Burt rule that whatever attributes you had in life, you possess a zombie version of them as an infected. Thus the runners were people who were noticeably fast as humans (i.e., elite athletes), ditto with the jumpers. Those types of zombies could be anywhere in the world. We stopped seeing them in LA after the first season. Once they died off, there were no others to replace them since you need the athletic feedstock to generate new ones. On a side note, I guess we can be glad this outbreak didn't take place during the Olympics or you would have had a mass of runners, jumpers and other types of physically uber-zombies.

Ink is a special zombie because of his elite intelligence as a human. The fact that he had an irrational fear of dying and stumbled on the petroglyphs allowed him to control other zombies. The fact that he was paranoid solidified his overriding motivation as a zombie to defeat the survivor groups around him. And the fact that he was a highly skilled, highly trained chemist gave him the tools to develop the Behemoths and the Little Ones.

There probably are no Little Ones/Behemoths to worry about elsewhere in the world, but that doesn't mean there are no more smart ones out there. And maybe some smart ones were super-skilled at medicine and have developed zombies that are resistant to being killed or maybe there are smart ones more mechanically inclined who have developed robotically enhanced zombies. Who knows?
    Likes DemetriusH, Storm liked this post

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3_T3ch View Post
    We know what happened somewhat. It is covered in season 3 with "Beyond Our Walls". But after Ft. Irwin and Boulder became the last large safe havens in the US we know nothing. There were outbreaks in other countries (I don't remember which ones though) and given that Irwin lost contact with other countries we can infer that the world has gone to shit. (knowing full well that Kc wouldn't just excuse the fact that there were US naval ships stationed all across the world)
    Well, we can also surmise that Russia at least is more or less intact, due to the lack of a Dead Hand or Perimeter response. Also, if all the US ships at sea were lost with all hands, doesn't that seem a little odd? Yes, it is entirely possible that one or two carrier groups would have some ships infested, but all of them with all the ships? I think this is simply a sacrifice that had to be made in detail due to scope restrictions and the fact that it did not matter to the story as it was told.

Quote Originally Posted by airrunner View Post
    Ink is a special zombie because of his elite intelligence as a human. The fact that he had an irrational fear of dying and stumbled on the petroglyphs allowed him to control other zombies. The fact that he was paranoid solidified his overriding motivation as a zombie to defeat the survivor groups around him. And the fact that he was a highly skilled, highly trained chemist gave him the tools to develop the Behemoths and the Little Ones.

There probably are no Little Ones/Behemoths to worry about elsewhere in the world, but that doesn't mean there are no more smart ones out there. And maybe some smart ones were super-skilled at medicine and have developed zombies that are resistant to being killed or maybe there are smart ones more mechanically inclined who have developed robotically enhanced zombies. Who knows?
    It is more than likely, almost certain in fact, that there are smart zombies all over the world IF the outbreaks were large scale enough. Without anything to back my claim, I would say that you need to be of Mensa level IQ in order to become a smart one, and Ink had a rather unique set of characteristics that made him the threat he was and allowed him to organize and control the zedheads. The chances of there being others like him are very slim, so given how the zombie gas was in the States and the other parts of the world only being infected by individual turners, it is conveivable, in my humble opinion, that at least remote areas with natural defences (such as distance, mountains, large rivers, open sea...) are still in good condition, though fully aware of the new dangerous world they may live in.

That being said, the UK is screwed. Police not having firearms, civilians largely unarmed and a huge population density probably made it a zombie buffet. At least England.
    Likes airrunner liked this post
    Disclaimer!
    These are the ravings of an insane lunatic. Take nothing he/she/it says, does or looks like seriously

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

In the Q&A Kc explained that the cause of the outbreak started before the events of We're Alive, because the gases infected people who were able to leave the LA or Northern-Mexican area, which is why there were zombs in Hawaii or in other parts of the world.
    Considering that especially business men and women as well as scientists, who might have been infected, might have travelled everywhere in the world - same with for example tourists, pop-stars, aircraft-crews and whatnot - this means zombs could have spawned almost everywhere in the world. Especially with the real outbreak and the panic everywhere, things could have come out of control. Now look at Africa and the current Ebolah-situation, hiw things have started to spin out of control and multiply this with the zombie-story ... Bammm!

But regardless of that I guess there would be a couple of "safe" places - especially those almost deserted areas with only little population. Chances are that the people there might have learned about the pandemy all over the world, and they might have started to prepare themselves. So I think there will be enough locations with survivors who really had no big deal with the zombs at all. Places like Iceland I think could be sort of safe; and if not, they don't have tanks and shit, they otherwise Iceland would be downed to 100% ... I digress.

Good question! Europe will have strongholds of survivors, but Europe will be hit as hard as the US was hit. Same with the Asian nations around the pacific. But New Zealand would be safe: zombs don't like Hobbits, Elves, or Orcs ...

Best wishes!
    Liam
    Likes Cabbage Patch, airrunner liked this post
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:

That being said, the UK is screwed. Police not having firearms, civilians largely unarmed and a huge population density probably made it a zombie buffet. At least England.
    England's got the Royal Guard right? They're all armed with weapons. Perhaps there is a group of survivors lead by members of that esteemed group. They are trained to be super serious and focused (and humorless), especially the ones guarding the Palace.

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by airrunner View Post
    England's got the Royal Guard right? They're all armed with weapons. Perhaps there is a group of survivors lead by members of that esteemed group. They are trained to be super serious and focused (and humorless), especially the ones guarding the Palace.
    Sure there is a military, the UK has a well-equipped and trained fighting force. That being said, it takes a while to mobilize and we've seen how difficult it is to stop vast hordes of zombies. The relative size of the military is still small compared to the population of London (205,850 active and 181,720 reserve versus 8,416,535 people in London, 5,354 people/km2) and much less concentrated. It would all depend on how bad the infestation would get and how quickly, but the numbers don't paint a pretty picture.
    Disclaimer!

Moderator from the 10th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Achievements:
    Loved1 year registeredPro Level Wiki Editor10000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Hey all again.

Cheers!
    I'll ask KC tonight during our Q&A with him. If you guys have other questions post them. I'll be refreshing this thread for replies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast