User Tag List

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsBeloved

A podcast application on Android

This is a topic in which I interested and I am apparently the only person in the world. I seriously spent hours looking on google for it.

So, here's the problem:
    I want a program on my PC to download podcasts and sync them to my android phone. Sounds simple, right?
    On an iPod, I used iTunes; it creates different folders for each podcast and episodes appear correctly in chronological order regardless of the metadata and the actual file name.
    On Android there doesn't seem a way to do it properly.

EVERYTHING I tried so far fails spectacularly. For example, Winamp assumes everybody has an anal obsession with metadata and renames files using the metadata. So, when I sync from Winamp on PC and open with Winamp on the phone I end up with We're Alive split in several folders (they appear as different albums because the metadata on episodes is different) and the tracks aren't in the right order. The same thing happens with the official app of my phone (Media Go + Walkman).
    In the end, I either have to choose tracks manually or create playlists manually. I could also create a script to rename and reorder and change the metadata.
    So, how do you listen to podcasts on Android?

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    I am currently testing what happens if I change the metadata in bulk. For example, WA episodes had Wayland Productions or Modern Myth Productions or even an email address as the Author tag; this caused most software to sync incorrectly, believing these files were belonging to different authors. I changed all that to KC Wayland. Let's see how it goes after the looooong resync.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsLoved1 year registered

Gamertag: MickGinger
    I prefer BeyondPod, I subscribe to the feeds directly on my phone.

If I have trouble finding a podcast with the search function, I just message the link to myself, then click it on my phone and use beyondpod to "open" the link. This takes you to a screen in BeyondPod that lets you organize the feed the way you want in the feed list. This is becoming less and less of a problem as the web becomes more mobile friendly.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATH1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by clem131 View Post
    I am currently testing what happens if I change the metadata in bulk. For example, WA episodes had Wayland Productions or Modern Myth Productions or even an email address as the Author tag; this caused most software to sync incorrectly, believing these files were belonging to different authors. I changed all that to KC Wayland. Let's see how it goes after the looooong resync.
    After i downloaded all the episodes, and before i had listened to even one, i found my phone wanted to rearrange them in some weird fashion that my OCD bitched about.

So i put them back on my computer, highlighted them all, and changed all the extra info to the same thing. Year of production, Author, studio... all that crap.

Poof. My phone and my OCD lived in harmony and i soon was introduced to We're Alive.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by MickGinger View Post
    I prefer BeyondPod, I subscribe to the feeds directly on my phone.

If I have trouble finding a podcast with the search function, I just message the link to myself, then click it on my phone and use beyondpod to "open" the link. This takes you to a screen in BeyondPod that lets you organize the feed the way you want in the feed list. This is becoming less and less of a problem as the web becomes more mobile friendly.
    See, that's what all podcast managers do: they download with your phone. But I want to be able to do it with a PC and sync, for many reasons (it's faster, it is easier to manage, I work with radiations -> underground bunker -> no reception for the phone...)

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalJHP View Post
    After i downloaded all the episodes, and before i had listened to even one, i found my phone wanted to rearrange them in some weird fashion that my OCD bitched about.

So i put them back on my computer, highlighted them all, and changed all the extra info to the same thing. Year of production, Author, studio... all that crap.

Poof. My phone and my OCD lived in harmony and i soon was introduced to We're Alive.
    I tried that with winamp but it didn't seem to stick. After modifying the library it reverted back to wayland prod and modern myth prod.

"Lurker"

Status
    There is nothing better than the app by google called google podcast. It is simple and functional.
    Last edited by Azul Moon; Jul 15th, 2020 at 03:52 AM.

"Lurker"

Status
    I was using radiopublic and it was decent, but your review is so professional, can you say some words about radiopublic to make a decent review for it ?

Super Moderator of the 12th Floor

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: NorthGreen21 Steam ID: NorthGreen21
    Quote Originally Posted by clem131 View Post
    This is a topic in which I interested and I am apparently the only person in the world. I seriously spent hours looking on google for it.

So, here's the problem:
    I want a program on my PC to download podcasts and sync them to my android phone. Sounds simple, right?
    On an iPod, I used iTunes; it creates different folders for each podcast and episodes appear correctly in chronological order regardless of the metadata and the actual file name.
    On Android there doesn't seem a way to do it properly.

EVERYTHING I tried so far fails spectacularly. For example, Winamp assumes everybody has an anal obsession with metadata and renames files using the metadata. So, when I sync from Winamp on PC and open with Winamp on the phone I end up with We're Alive split in several folders (they appear as different albums because the metadata on episodes is different) and the tracks aren't in the right order. The same thing happens with the official app of my phone (Media Go + Walkman).
    In the end, I either have to choose tracks manually or create playlists manually. I could also create a script to rename and reorder and change the metadata.
    So, how do you listen to podcasts on Android?
    Podcast Addict is what I use, and it is amazing. Definitely recommend.