User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    "Lurker"

Status
    Thank you all for chiming in. If just like to reiterate, the panel were NOT judges. We came up with the categories and tallied the votes. We had no say, other than our one vote each, in the winners. I felt that We're Alive had a good chance of winning. My goal with creating the AVA' s was to foster more community spirit, and try to be a closer group, rather than cliques. I do apologize if we came off differently.

Looking forward to next year, and more chances for everyone. This was the first year, and as always, bugs needed to be wrinkled out.

If you have ideas on what you'd like to see done differently, contact me. I'm always open to ideas.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    WA Points1 year registeredWell Liked10000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by gwendolyn jensen-woodard View Post
    Thank you all for chiming in. If just like to reiterate, the panel were NOT judges. We came up with the categories and tallied the votes. We had no say, other than our one vote each, in the winners. I felt that We're Alive had a good chance of winning. My goal with creating the AVA' s was to foster more community spirit, and try to be a closer group, rather than cliques. I do apologize if we came off differently.

Looking forward to next year, and more chances for everyone. This was the first year, and as always, bugs needed to be wrinkled out.

If you have ideas on what you'd like to see done differently, contact me. I'm always open to ideas.

.....and that is the problem - you have voting in what should be an award based upon merit and decided upon by independent and impartial judges, not popular voting.

Popular vote awards are never impartial or fair, simply because the numbers are skewed towards those nominees that put the most effort into garnering votes (or those that know how to use an IP proxy, if the voting is done online).

While I am a fan of the show, I am a fan of a lot of things and a fairly impartial person. I decided to have a listen to several of the podcasts - After all, if they won over We're Alive, they must be better, right?

I will not name names, as there are a lot of talented people out there and I don't wish to insult any of them, but it was not even close to comparing. I would not post this unless I truly believed in my heart that it was the case, but the difference in terms of quality in the majority was almost unbelievable.

Gwendolyn, if you truly want the Audio Verse Awards to be taken seriously, don't make it about popularity and instead, judge it based upon merits. Like an Oscar or a Grammy.
    Likes Litmaster liked this post

"Lurker"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacon_Tyler View Post
    .....and that is the problem - you have voting in what should be an award based upon merit and decided upon by independent and impartial judges, not popular voting.

Popular vote awards are never impartial or fair, simply because the numbers are skewed towards those nominees that put the most effort into garnering votes (or those that know how to use an IP proxy, if the voting is done online).

While I am a fan of the show, I am a fan of a lot of things and a fairly impartial person. I decided to have a listen to several of the podcasts - After all, if they won over We're Alive, they must be better, right?

I will not name names, as there are a lot of talented people out there and I don't wish to insult any of them, but it was not even close to comparing. I would not post this unless I truly believed in my heart that it was the case, but the difference in terms of quality in the majority was almost unbelievable.

Gwendolyn, if you truly want the Audio Verse Awards to be taken seriously, don't make it about popularity and instead, judge it based upon merits. Like an Oscar or a Grammy.
    I'm guessing it wasn't made clear, we were doing like the SAG awards, where only those involved in some way in making audio drama could vote. It was expected that members of groups would vote. There was no fan vote asked. Here's how I put it, and how I wanted it "for the community, by the community".

I can see your arguments, but most seem to be based on a lack of knowledge on how the awards actually worked. I'm all for open discourse. The personal attacks further up in the thread though, were uncalled for.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    WA Points1 year registeredWell Liked10000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by gwendolyn jensen-woodard View Post
    I'm guessing it wasn't made clear, we were doing like the SAG awards, where only those involved in some way in making audio drama could vote. It was expected that members of groups would vote. There was no fan vote asked. Here's how I put it, and how I wanted it "for the community, by the community".

I can see your arguments, but most seem to be based on a lack of knowledge on how the awards actually worked. I'm all for open discourse. The personal attacks further up in the thread though, were uncalled for.
    Those attacks weren't from me though. I only attack with kitchen appliances and small paper bags filled with poo
    I see what you're saying though. The facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Audioverseawards had made it look as though voting was available to everyone and the posts made on November 29 and December 1 appeared to support that assumption, so it's easy to see how that might be confusing.

"Lurker"

Status
    I can see that. We knew there would be kinks to work out the first year. I think my vision is sound, but it needs work on the execution. (Not the paper bags of poo....*grin*)
    Likes Deacon_Tyler liked this post

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon_Tyler View Post

Yeah! Nobody ever bought an Oscar or a Grammy!

joint-point-counter-joint

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsBeloved
    Quote Originally Posted by 7oddisdead View Post
    [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]
    the thing I look at, and the reason I don't see being passed over as a big deal...this podcast is on such a different level compared to the others that it could have its own sub-genre.
    So true. The only issue I have with WA is that it spoiled *every* other audiodrama out there for me. Leviathan has almost the same production quality, but story-wise I personally don't like it, too much hollywood blockbuster for my taste (we Europeans are smug like that); Dr. Carp Paranormal Therapist is also good in quality but waaaaaaay too naive in the story. The vast majority of the other dramas have 4 characters in the same scene played by actors with 4 different microphones. Now even if I find one I think it's good, it's like I mentally add "despite the usual quality issues and plot holes".
    The only other one who was listenable was Edict Zero, and it went on hiatus.
    Damn, I want to be entertained. I'm getting BBC's Neverwhere!

WA Convoy Comms Officer

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsHigh Level WikiExtreme Love1 year registered

Neverwhere is a good story. I still like Leviathan aswell - the only thing I don't like is the chaotic release schedule. Mind, WA will always win hands down.
    WA Finale Convoy Communications Officer

Catch me on the twitters @tonyhind86
    WA Finale Convoy twitter: @WA_Convoy
    WA Finale Convoy Google+ ID: 04452049929039180220
    WA Finale Convoy Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH96IN3Atmjukmy8XzQDQWQ

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Extreme Love25000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Quote Originally Posted by 7oddisdead View Post

this podcast is on such a different level compared to the others that it could have its own sub-genre.

todd-0
    The categories should be something like this in my opinion........

Best Leading Male role in an Audio Drama that's not We're Alive.

Best Leading Female role in an Audio Drama that's not We're Alive.

Best Supporting Male role in an Audio Drama that's not We're Alive.

Best Supporting female role in an Audio Drama that's not We're Alive.

Best Use of Music in a Project that's not We're Alive.

Best Writing in a Project that's not We're Alive.

etc, etc, etc....... you get the point.

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsWell Liked

We weren't finalists ourselves, but as audio drama producers we were eligible to vote. The bulk of our nominations and votes went to We're Alive and Edict Zero, largely because if it wasn't for these shows we'd never have gotten into producing audio drama in the first place. In a way, to have that kind of influence is worth a lot more than any award. I think the AVAs are a great idea and I'm sure the organisers will use the feedback to improve upon them next year, it's always nice to win awards, no matter who you are, but if we could achieve half of what We're Alive or Edict Zero has in terms of production quality, storyline and output then I'd be more than happy to never get near another award in my life.
    Likes Litmaster, Osiris liked this post

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast