User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranExtreme LoveOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: kc wayland Steam ID: waylandprod

Angry Discussion: Why we aren't pushing for the Stitcher Awards and other awards shows...

I'm writing this open post in response to a few questions regarding podcast awards and why we don't seem to push/care about them.

I received an e-mail today about the 2013 Stitcher Awards. The main problem I have with ALL of these contests is summed up in the e-mail:

"All shows and podcasts that are available on Stitcher are eligible for consideration and shows may be nominated in multiple categories. You, your listeners, friends and family can vote once each day over the nomination period, today through Sunday, December 22nd. "

They are basically spam contests. Who can spam the voting the most, rather than which one actually deserves it. There's something to be said about the number of listeners being equal to the quality of show, etc... BUT I would only seem to support something like that if only one person=1 vote.

Why is this a problem? Don't get me wrong, I like the people over at Stitcher. I've met them before and they are very nice and supportive people. However, this contest, and other ones like "The Podcast Awards" only survive by spamming votes from users. The more times people go to the site and vote, it boosts their numbers and makes their social footprint more valid in the eyes of social media bots. In other words, they are exploiting podcast listeners to further their own profile in the guise that it's a competition or "awards". Not Stitcher, but other sites and contests generate ad revenue from the amount of people visit the page, again, making money off podcasts that create the content.

Keep in mind these are only "nominations", so there may be some validity to the judging that happens afterwards, but the whole process of spamming and taxing listener's profiles is one that I see over and over and don't care to support.

-Kc
    Likes REZombie, Footbutt, Unit, Wicked Sid, Elisa and 4 others liked this post

WA Convoy Comms Officer

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsHigh Level WikiExtreme Love1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by Kc View Post
    I'm writing this open post in response to a few questions regarding podcast awards and why we don't seem to push/care about them.

I received an e-mail today about the 2013 Stitcher Awards. The main problem I have with ALL of these contests is summed up in the e-mail:

"All shows and podcasts that are available on Stitcher are eligible for consideration and shows may be nominated in multiple categories. You, your listeners, friends and family can vote once each day over the nomination period, today through Sunday, December 22nd. "

They are basically spam contests. Who can spam the voting the most, rather than which one actually deserves it. There's something to be said about the number of listeners being equal to the quality of show, etc... BUT I would only seem to support something like that if only one person=1 vote.

Why is this a problem? Don't get me wrong, I like the people over at Stitcher. I've met them before and they are very nice and supportive people. However, this contest, and other ones like "The Podcast Awards" only survive by spamming votes from users. The more times people go to the site and vote, it boosts their numbers and makes their social footprint more valid in the eyes of social media bots. In other words, they are exploiting podcast listeners to further their own profile in the guise that it's a competition or "awards". Not Stitcher, but other sites and contests generate ad revenue from the amount of people visit the page, again, making money off podcasts that create the content.

Keep in mind these are only "nominations", so there may be some validity to the judging that happens afterwards, but the whole process of spamming and taxing listener's profiles is one that I see over and over and don't care to support.

-Kc
    I completely agree with you on this one. I don't believe awards are a true representation of a podcast's true merit - the engagement and excitement the show generates amongst the audience is a testament as to how good the show really is. The buzz in the forum for instance, waiting for the next episodes and the theorising and chatter among everyone is unrivalled against any other podcast that I've ever encountered.

Keep up the good work man
    Likes Elisa, Witch_Doctor, Kc, Gooer liked this post
    WA Finale Convoy Communications Officer

Catch me on the twitters @tonyhind86
    WA Finale Convoy twitter: @WA_Convoy
    WA Finale Convoy Google+ ID: 04452049929039180220
    WA Finale Convoy Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH96IN3Atmjukmy8XzQDQWQ

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

I already voted with my middle finger in the air, because I can.
    Likes Unit liked this post
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsWell Liked
    Shucks, that's a shame. It really is hard to verify users in an online poll to prevent cheating and even harder to get your listeners to frequent their site daily to vote. Is there any way around it though? I imagine most polls will be like this. We're Alive going underground?

Edit: isn't everyone at the same disadvantage? There has to be a captcha verification or atleast you must have a stitcher account, right? Podcasts who cast daily would get more traffic to vote. That business model is really unfortunate.
    Last edited by cringebot; Dec 10th, 2013 at 12:28 PM.

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Kc, your explanation is exactly why I haven't "voted" on anything (Stitcher and some others) that gives more than 1 vote per person. Like you said, the more votes a podcast gets then maybe the more popular it really is. But in the end, that's not what the "award" is really about.

Thanks for explaining it so well....
    Likes Witch_Doctor liked this post
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc View Post

-Kc
    I never heard of Stitcher Awards, however, it appears as its voting process is just like the one which turned the MTV video music awards into a Cyrus/Bieber-fan-orgasm-show. A vote has to count, it is pretty useless otherwise.

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: slilckJoshua Steam ID: Grognaurd
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyhind86 View Post
    ... the engagement and excitement the show generates amongst the audience is a testament as to how good the show really is....

Keep up the good work man
    I think you all know I have listened to this more than a few times. lol

The beginning of the first episode still gives me chills the way the music and the voice over melt into something so mundane as going to class...
    Likes Unit, Gooer liked this post

WA Convoy Comms Officer

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsHigh Level WikiExtreme Love1 year registered

Quote Originally Posted by Grognaurd View Post
    I think you all know I have listened to this more than a few times. lol

The beginning of the first episode still gives me chills the way the music and the voice over melt into something so mundane as going to class...
    I'm midway through my sixth run - think I've got some catching up to do haha

I think one of the things that makes this podcast so good is, no matter how many times you listen to it (and you know what's happening next), it still has the ability to keep you hooked as if it's the first time listening to it. For me, I like hearing the voices of characters long past (RIP Angel) and picking up on subtle little hints that make the theories a little easier to comprehend.
    WA Finale Convoy Communications Officer

Catch me on the twitters @tonyhind86
    WA Finale Convoy twitter: @WA_Convoy
    WA Finale Convoy Google+ ID: 04452049929039180220
    WA Finale Convoy Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH96IN3Atmjukmy8XzQDQWQ

Updater of the Wiki

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassPro Level Wiki EditorLOVED TO DEATH25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: G00er PSN ID: Gooergaming Steam ID: Gooergaming
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyhind86 View Post
    For me, I like hearing the voices of characters long past (RIP Angel)
    *sniffle* Bill....Always remember you man....miss you everyday....

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

You need only look at podcasts like "The Fantasy Focus" podcast from ESPN. They technically have multiple podcasts but they always push you to vote for the Football version because that's they one they like the most. This year it had to be the baseball one. They openly encourage you to vote from every single email address you own daily. They promote the loop hole that eliminates fair play and awards based on merit.

I mean...these are the same people that tell their twitter followers to actively harass celebrities (as nice as possible at least) in order to get their attention and come on the show. Mob mentality reigns supreme on these sites.
    Likes werewolf, Unit liked this post
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast