User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsWell LikedVeteran5000 Experience Points

The Colony's Power Problems

ok, this is more of a solution post then a theory. BUT!

if you need power for water, need water for food and people, people need gas, gas = the fight vs them......... why not make a water turbine..... like a big wheel, you see on a lake or something, there's even a lake nearby... datu and the guy who fixed the radio, shit isn't there a lake near by? you can do away with generators.

why not just take a few alternators as many car batteries which i'm given is a lot of bled out cars from their gas out there too. daisy chain them together, big old wheel, to an axel, axel turns some sort of belt which then powers alternaters. BOOM, power, if needs be use another water pump to turn the wheel, you can wire up some kind of feed back system for it i'm sure.

just my thoughts.
    Likes Witch_Doctor liked this post

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

I could be wrong, but pelting wheels generally run on moving water. Lakes won't do. I AM kind of surprised Datu hasn't come out and said "Bring me the biggest fucking magnets you can find!"
    Likes Witch_Doctor, scbubba liked this post
    joint-point-counter-joint

Mofo with the Mojo

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranPro Level Wiki Editor

Tap those natural gas lines, burn some damn coal, diesel from marine craft, dangle a sweat bottle in front of a zombie on a treadmill attached to a generator, dam the L.A. River. Solutions are out there, but I don't think the characters are reading the forums because their internet is down. They'll have to figure it out themselves.

The most chilling thing I've heard in this story since the fall of Boulder and Attack on Fort Irwin is the fact that they are within weeks of running out of fuel and ammo. It's like the apocalypse is starting all over again.
    Call Sign: Jive Turkey
    Ladies and Gentlemen, straight from Mysterical Island, it's the Shaman of Schiznick, the Mofo with the Mojo, the Mad Scientist of the Jungle, the Doctor is in!
    Doctor? Doctor who?
    NO! Witch Doctor, fool!

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    The reason our heroes are having problems with fuel is the seasonal switch from the California Air Resources Board's mandated winter blend fuels to the mandated summer blend. It happens every year, with fuel shortages across California and big price increases. There's no reason to believe that the Apocalypse will stop the insanity.

By the way, there are no lakes or rivers near the Colony that could be used for serious hydro power. In that part of California the rivers and canals are all really just drainage channels to deal with the rains, when they come. The Colorado River is already dammed and controlled up in the mountains, and it is basically a covered aqueduct once it hits the LA metro area.

WA Convoy Comms Officer

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsHigh Level WikiExtreme Love1 year registered

I'm rather surprised that CJ hasn't yet considered a potential fuel crisis sooner. Even if you don't factor in the fact that fuel eventually goes bad over time, there's still only a finite amount of it left since no more is being produced. And like she said at the beginning of chapter 40-2, they're using more fuel on scavenging missions than they're bringing back. The further outward from the colony they have to travel, the more of a problem that will become.
    Datu and Glenn will eventually create some sort of sustainable power source - CJ's just bitching about it because she didn't think of it before them.
    Likes skankyfish liked this post
    WA Finale Convoy Communications Officer

Catch me on the twitters @tonyhind86
    WA Finale Convoy twitter: @WA_Convoy
    WA Finale Convoy Google+ ID: 04452049929039180220
    WA Finale Convoy Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH96IN3Atmjukmy8XzQDQWQ

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    What about solar panels?

Ok, it is not a constant energy source but there seem to be some companies around in L.A.

https://maps.google.de/maps?ie=UTF-8...&ved=0CO4BELYD

WA Convoy Comms Officer

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First Class10000 Experience PointsHigh Level WikiExtreme Love1 year registered

And there's plenty of sunshine in California

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredWiki AmateurLoved5000 Experience Points

Gamertag: skankyfish PSN ID: MrsFresh Steam ID: skankyfish Raptr ID: skankyfish
    Quote Originally Posted by YetAnotherBloodyCheek View Post
    What about solar panels?

Ok, it is not a constant energy source but there seem to be some companies around in L.A.

https://maps.google.de/maps?ie=UTF-8...&ved=0CO4BELYD
    I had this conversation with someone the other day. I bet even a lot of local buildings will have them installed - we see them here in the North of England (although there are subsidies here that are likely different) so I'd have thought LA buildings would have them occasionally too. All you have to do is send Datu to study the installation, then uninstall them and bring them to the colony. Then hopefully he'd have the skills to go to a factory or warehouse and bring a whole shedload of panels to set up...

WA Convoy Comms Officer

Status
    Achievements:

Between Glenn and Datu, they should be able to set something up. The main problem is, depending on their size, transporting them to the Colony and hoisting them to a high enough vantage point. I know that the panels people have on their homes here (I'm in the NE of England too!) are quite large and cumbersome - I imagine the ones attached to buildings in LA must be even bigger

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Likes tonyhind86 liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast