User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Star Trek Continues

Hello.

Are there any Star Trek fans out there? So much hardcore Star Trek fans, that you actually admire or at least appreciate well done homages to the original Star Trek show?

There is something available on the world wide interwebsszzZ:

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/

These are new stories about Cpt. Kirk and his crew boldly going where no one has gone before - or how ever this iconic Star Trek phrase goes.

The first episode (lasting about 50 minutes) is available; and more will come, as it seems:

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/sta.../#.UmuvC7OLe1I

I am not a huge Star Trek fan; I am not really a fan of Star Trek anyway. But I appreciate this classic SF show a lot, as it is one of the milestones in te-vo-entertainment. And the first available episode in the "Star Trek Continues" show breathes the spirit of the original Star Trek show.

If you are interested or at least wish to establish your own opinion 'bout it, go ahead and watch it.

Best wishes!
    Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Star Trek is pretty much dead right now. In addition, JJ Abrams created an undead zombie movie franchise. It is horrible, "it's dead, Jim."

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YetAnotherBloodyCheek View Post
    Star Trek is pretty much dead right now. In addition, JJ Abrams created an undead zombie movie franchise. It is horrible, "it's dead, Jim."
    lolwat? Are you high?
    Likes LiamKerrington liked this post
    joint-point-counter-joint

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Star Trek is pretty much dead right now.
    Is this your opinion, or do you just echo someone's/ someones' elses opinion?
    If you enjoye(d) the old and original Star Trek, you may think about at least "testing" this new project ...

In addition, JJ Abrams created an undead zombie movie franchise. It is horrible, "it's dead, Jim."
    I am not so certain. The first Abrams movie was kind of cool. The second one I have not watched yet. From the overall reactions in the media I am pretty sure that "dead" is not the best choice to describe the status of Star Trek ...
    Zombie Story:
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

The Star Trek reboot is really good. Lens flare aside, but that's just finding something to pick on. It's his thing.

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

I make fun of the lens flares and shaky cam stuff but will definitely admit I enjoyed the first of Abrams' reboot movies. I haven't seen the second one yet either but that's a function of just not going to theaters. I'll catch it on demand or bluray.

The new stuff Liam mentioned sounds kinda cool. I will probably check it out...
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
    Is this your opinion, or do you just echo someone's/ someones' elses opinion?
    If you enjoye(d) the old and original Star Trek, you may think about at least "testing" this new project ...

I am not so certain. The first Abrams movie was kind of cool. The second one I have not watched yet. From the overall reactions in the media I am pretty sure that "dead" is not the best choice to describe the status of Star Trek ...
    This is my opinion. The Golden Age of Star Trek during the 1990s is over. Just keep in mind that there were the TNG / Voyager and DS9 series on air around the same time. Star Trek was huge at that time. They had this amazing network of people, Rob Bowman, Ronald D. Moore and especially the actors. However, the whole formula got stale over the years. The ending to DS9 was the last remarkable episode in my opinion.

Voyager started ver promising - Federation and Marquis crew stranded in the Delta quadrant and so on - but did not manage to add something anything new to the canon. It was just more of the same, no real hard decisions - simply an almost weekly hooray "we got Q / the Borg / Klingons" on the show. It was not controversial anymore nor interesting.

Cf. http://trekmovie.com/2008/06/21/excl...-trek-cliches/

And now to JJ Abrams movies. The first one was ok and enjoyable because it glued a lot of things together that were mere bits of information shattered across the original series and the first six movies. Abrams happened to add some alternative reality miracle and voila, here you have your feature film.

Star Trek Into Darkness is not that descent. I considered it ok the day I watched it at the cinema, but ... this was then.
    Luckily, I found an article which summed up most of my logical problems concerning the movie: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/62867

Now back to the web series, it might succeed in bringing back that old Star Trek nostalgia and celebrate itself as a nice reminiscence to an era - ultimately, this will mean that it has to stick to the Star Trek viewers expectations. I doubt that this is the right way.

Finally, if Paramount would see a possibility to revive the Star Trek cosmos, they would do it. But here we are, eight years after the ending of Star Trek: Enterprise.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

I'm just going to go ahead and say it:

If we spend our entire lives railing against the darkest night that is "innovation breathing life into old concepts", we'll forever be relegated to how things used to be, golden ages, and bittersweet memories. Get past it. The future isn't going to stop coming just because things were "better when . . ." We don't need the viewers to expect anything than entertainment. We don't require the fans to accept it as canonical, and we don't need permission to push an idea, a dream, or a game further. There comes a time when you need to stand back and say, "Hey, there are people born after I was, people who know nothing or very little about the great stories of my youth. I don't need to place my own judgments on what could be their great stories. Nobody asked for my permission, so I guess I've got no need to be dismissive of what they're doing."

I'm not a big TOS fan, or TNG, or ST:V, and certainly not Enterprise. I loved DS9, but I would be pleased as shit if JJ were to say tomorrow, "Hey, guess what? We're going back to DS9! And get this! The captain? Played by Will Smith. Fuck it. Let's do this!" I'd go see it without hesitation, because I loved that universe. I don't care who plays who, and how many lens flares get in the way. At the end of the day--much like Batfleck--I'm just happy for another iteration of my favourite universes.

So let's go with this. Let just accept it as someone had a dream about Star Trek, and they opened up their hearts and poured it all out onto a plate for us to consume. So, pretty please, say thank you, and clean your fucking plate. There are starving kids in Africa who don't get any Star Trek.
    Likes scbubba liked this post

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    I'm just going to go ahead and say it:

If we spend our entire lives railing against the darkest night that is "innovation breathing life into old concepts", we'll forever be relegated to how things used to be, golden ages, and bittersweet memories. Get past it. The future isn't going to stop coming just because things were "better when . . ." We don't need the viewers to expect anything than entertainment. We don't require the fans to accept it as canonical, and we don't need permission to push an idea, a dream, or a game further. There comes a time when you need to stand back and say, "Hey, there are people born after I was, people who know nothing or very little about the great stories of my youth. I don't need to place my own judgments on what could be their great stories. Nobody asked for my permission, so I guess I've got no need to be dismissive of what they're doing."

I'm not a big TOS fan, or TNG, or ST:V, and certainly not Enterprise. I loved DS9, but I would be pleased as shit if JJ were to say tomorrow, "Hey, guess what? We're going back to DS9! And get this! The captain? Played by Will Smith. Fuck it. Let's do this!" I'd go see it without hesitation, because I loved that universe. I don't care who plays who, and how many lens flares get in the way. At the end of the day--much like Batfleck--I'm just happy for another iteration of my favourite universes.

So let's go with this. Let just accept it as someone had a dream about Star Trek, and they opened up their hearts and poured it all out onto a plate for us to consume. So, pretty please, say thank you, and clean your fucking plate. There are starving kids in Africa who don't get any Star Trek.
    I am ok with that. Star Trek is not my cup of tea anymore. Sadly.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

I am ok with that. Star Trek is not my cup of tea anymore. Sadly.
    Ok. Thank you for offering insight int your decision and opinion.

Just keep in mind: "Star Trek Continues" is not about just another iteration of Star Trek in the Next Generation universe, which - agreed - was big in the '90ies; "Star Trek Continues" sets off, where the original Star Trek ended in the '60ies; and they try to use the old sets, costumes, masks, and especially spirit which is kind of a broad old-school-approach to this. To me it is kind of wrong to "dismiss" this approach towards Star Trek, because there are new movies and the whole TNG stuff going on; but maybe I am wrong thinking this.

Best wishes!
    Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - is fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast