User Tag List

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassTagger First ClassWiki AmateurVeteranWell Liked10000 Experience Points

Shovel Welcome to Night Vale... what?

So I'm playing around on the "10 dollar t-shirt" sites because I want to knock out a little Christmas shopping early, and after following a rabbit hole that took me from Australia to Canada to NYC, I actually come across another podcast by the name of "Welcome to Night Vale."

At first, I was like "What's this? What's this?..." (yeah, get the Nightmare Before Christmas thing going) and I try to look at their website. Yeah, that didn't have as much as I'd like to see. So I jump on Facebook and see it has like 50k+ likes and I went full Neo and said "Whoa!" Then I jumped on twitter and saw that it has over 100k followers... and yet tonight was the first time I heard of this bi-weekly thing. Maybe it's because I'm still an avid zune user, because the podcast supposedly shows up in the apple store, but really?

I haven't listened to any of it yet, but I did download all the episodes and I'll give it a try later this week.

Has anyone given "Welcome to Night Vale" a shot?
    "I have better things to do tonight than die."
    -Springer (while loading a mortar shell)

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassTagger First ClassWiki AmateurVeteranWell Liked10000 Experience Points
    I've listened to the first four episodes so far and this is some weird stuff. It's like a tripping version of a radio broadcast of the "Twilight Zone." I'm going to have to check out the behind the scenes stuff to figure out how and why it has as many fans on facebook and twitter as it does; something tells me that I'm easily overlooking something.
    "I have better things to do tonight than die."
    -Springer (while loading a mortar shell)

"Lurker"

Status
    Tumblr. It's Huge on tumblr, the spillover to other social media comes from there. (Just realized the date on your post, uh, necromancy, yay! surprisingly appropriate.

It's got a sort of tongue-in-cheek feel to lovecraftian horror, and well the host is openly gay (... you should see the amount of CecilxCarlos fanart.)

It's honestly -really- good, the fanbase is just a tad overzealous. Theres no real story or connection between the episodes outside of characters carrying over, or a plotline from one episode concluding in another, but.. it takes what would normally be horror, and turns it into a delightful little radio show where strange glowing clouds that occasionally appear then rain dead animals on the city running for head of the PTA on the local school system is all fine.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points3 months registeredLoved

I freaking love this series. It's like NPR meets Courage the Cowardly Dog meets Twin Peaks. Bizarrely brilliant.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points3 months registeredLoved

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubil View Post
    Theres no real story or connection between the episodes outside of characters carrying over, or a plotline from one episode concluding in another, but.. it takes what would normally be horror, and turns it into a delightful little radio show where strange glowing clouds that occasionally appear then rain dead animals on the city running for head of the PTA on the local school system is all fine.
    Seems to me there's a progression to the story, though I admit it's not as explicit as in a typical narrative plot.

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    I didn't want to like this series when I first heard it...but dammit, it is good. I think funkydung hit all the major points of why I like it.

good stuff.
    KAW

W/A convoy supply and general manager: info? follow ? > @_toddisdead

"Researcher"

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurWA PointsBeloved25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: D4wGxxB0neS
    Yeah I gotten through 20 or so episodes. Funny cause its weird.

Something else I just finished and really enjoyed was Public Enemy Zero. Bit of a different take on a "zombie-ish" story and one guy trying to stay alive.

"Hunter"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassWell LikedVeteran
    So I only found out about this cos Osiris shared an article about it on Facebook. Definitely gong t check it out though, just as soon as We're Alive is finished.