User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassTagger First ClassWiki AmateurVeteranWell Liked10000 Experience Points
    CJ was a Spin instructor at the local gym. She fits the mold of one of my wife's co-workers: controlling, telling people what to do, where to be, how to set up. Could partially explain why CJ was so pissed about losing her leg.

Ok, kidding aside (kind of), when we all first speculated, I figured she was a former prison guard. But as time goes on, I've gone between an architect, an engineer, an IT professional, and even someone on the LA Emergency Management team.

Now, I still think CJ did a lot of planning before the outbreak, but now, I'm thinking she was in a field that gave her a lot more authority than she currently has. And by authority, I totally mean bossing people around. Crap, fashion designer just popped into my head.
    Likes thisonegirl liked this post
    "I have better things to do tonight than die."
    -Springer (while loading a mortar shell)

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Hmmm. For some reason, CJs past is stuck in my mind this morning. So I got to thinking about what her pre-Z occupation might have been a little deeper.

What do we actually know about CJ?

- Obsessed with information/knowledge
    - Access to a lot of information sources both online and offline
    - Knows a lot about things but doesn't seem to have a lot of experience with things (except perhaps many tech items?)
    - Good physical fitness
    - Controlling
    - Secretive to a fault
    - Thinks more about people as resources/tools than as real people (with few exceptions like Sean and Saul)

What else do we know about her? How might any of these "facts" lead us to her past?

Add on to (or correct) this list and let's see what we come up with...
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    High Level Wiki10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran
    I think there are a lot of occupations that could make use of those skills and wedding planner definitely wasn't something I would have thought of. That being said, having a particular skill set doesn't automatically mean that you have a job that makes use of them (devil's advocate here).

As an example: I am very creative and resourceful. I enjoy creating things (sewing, metal work, wood working, etc.). I'm very good at planning things out well ahead of time and seeing potential complications and creating contingencies for those complications. It's borderline obsessive. I'm also pretty handy with a gun and get out camping whenever the opportunity presents itself. That being said, my day job is that of an accountant in the public service. There are very few times when my personal interests and my professional interests intersect.

Thinking up potential jobs for her is an interesting thought exercise but I don't think we're given enough information to be able to "figure it out" as it were.

Personally, I vote for librarian. Most of my reasoning for this flows from the points that Scbubba makes. She has a huge stash of information at Dunbar, understands the importance of information, is exceptionally talented at planning but crappy at execution (implying lack of practical experience at implementation) and seems to have poor people skills. For the record I'm sure there are some lovely librarians out there, this is just a generalization. The physical fitness aspect is unrelated to the job but perhaps it was just a side interest.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsLovedVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by scbubba View Post
    Hmmm. For some reason, CJs past is stuck in my mind this morning. So I got to thinking about what her pre-Z occupation might have been a little deeper.

What do we actually know about CJ?

- Obsessed with information/knowledge
    - Access to a lot of information sources both online and offline
    - Knows a lot about things but doesn't seem to have a lot of experience with things (except perhaps many tech items?)
    - Good physical fitness
    - Controlling
    - Secretive to a fault
    - Thinks more about people as resources/tools than as real people (with few exceptions like Sean and Saul)

What else do we know about her? How might any of these "facts" lead us to her past?

Add on to (or correct) this list and let's see what we come up with...

It's really interesting to see what has developed, I think my favorites are the spin instructor and the librarian ("No, no, they don't call them librarians anymore, it's 'printed-word technician.'")

Anyway, can we add to the list her obsession with that sword (katana?) she carried? It might have been part of the occupation she held before, maybe? Or maybe just a decoration on the wall in the building she worked in... Hmmm...
    Likes scbubba, Jannit liked this post

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Another thought on the jobs: If CJ did work in corrections, I'd be inclined to think she did so in a administrative support type of role given her lack of skills as a leader and her ineffectual implementation of plans. Perhaps she's seen people do all of these things in her day job but never got the experience actually doing it herself.

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by thisonegirl View Post
    It's really interesting to see what has developed, I think my favorites are the spin instructor and the librarian ("No, no, they don't call them librarians anymore, it's 'printed-word technician.'")

Anyway, can we add to the list her obsession with that sword (katana?) she carried? It might have been part of the occupation she held before, maybe? Or maybe just a decoration on the wall in the building she worked in... Hmmm...
    Haha! My mistake. Is that like petroleum transfer technicians?

The sword is one thing that throws a wrench into the librarian idea. Then again, people have hobbies! This nerdy accountant is also a regular practitioner of martial arts so weirder things have happened.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsLovedVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannit View Post
    Haha! My mistake. Is that like petroleum transfer technicians?

The sword is one thing that throws a wrench into the librarian idea. Then again, people have hobbies! This nerdy accountant is also a regular practitioner of martial arts so weirder things have happened.
    First and foremost, pahahahahaha! No, it was actually a corrupted/paraphrased line from Neil Labute's Fat Pig where the main female character is a librarian, but she comments on how every unsavory occupation's name has been changed to make it sound more desirable.

Second, but just as important, you are correct that hobbies exist. You are "more correct" in assuming that people have them. I know I have many, so who knows? Maybe librarian is still fitting.

Considering of how I felt when I was writing this post, I think it's time for me to call it a night (I keep weird hours). I bid you all adieu for now. I hope to come back to more speculations about CJ's job. Toodle...
    Oooh!
    Likes scbubba, Jannit liked this post

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Beloved10000 Experience Points1 year registered

Gamertag: Lmaosunscrotch PSN ID: Flamed (I think) Wii Code: Lol
    I was going to go with dominatrix since she seems to tell everyone what to do.
    Likes 7oddisdead, Witch_Doctor, thisonegirl liked this post

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    I keep focusing on CJ's comment that the only weapon she had in her apartment when the SHTF was her sword. To me that rules out her being either a cop or a corrections officer...those guys always have guns in their homes.

I like the idea of CJ being a wedding planner. Professional wedding planners are like the shock troops of the meeting and events planning profession. They deal with the worst clients, the toughest deadlines, the most complex events, and they do it all in a "zero-defects" environment with people screaming at them all the time. The ones that are really good at it tend to be intense, demanding, intolerant of human weakness, and more than a little scary.
    Likes thisonegirl, scbubba liked this post

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Beloved10000 Experience Points1 year registered

Gamertag: Lmaosunscrotch PSN ID: Flamed (I think) Wii Code: Lol
    I have 1 knock on the wedding planner thought. How would a wedding planner know so much about Saul's rifle that she thinks a prisoner wouldn't know what she does.

I would suggest a spy but they would likely know that your going to lose a limb with a turnakit (sp?) applied. I'd consider a video game designer or player (such as CoD or battlefield series). Or perhaps someone who is like a quality control for action movies. They would likely know weapons but may not own any.
    Likes Red Shirt liked this post

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast