User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Angel's Ring

Mofo with the Mojo

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranPro Level Wiki Editor

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDung View Post
    A reference to Scratch putting Angel out of his misery - but only because he royally pissed her off? BTW, has it occurred to anyone that Scratch's name might derive from "Old Scratch", a nickname for Satan in folk tales? I'm guessing some or most of that was discussed in previous threads. Did I offer anything new at all, though?
    Yes, you've added plenty. Also, check out this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Witch_Doctor View Post

As for the snake symbols, there seems to be a straight forward connection to Voodoo. In fact, perhaps this thread should be merged with Chapter 27's Episode Artwork Has Voodoo Images thread. Does anyone remember this little gem posted by Eviebae?

This is called a veve. This is the same image on the hand closest to the fingers. The veves are symbolic representations of spirits of the Voodoo pantheon. The one on Pinstripe's hand is one of the veves for the deity Damballah-Wedo. This is the creator deity. But Damballah is a Divine Watch Maker type of creator. He creates the universe then takes no active part in running it. The intermediaries, or forces of nature, are the lower deities called Loa. They are analogous to saints or angels. Hold on to your hats... There are several FAMILIES of them!

First, know that Voodoo, like all religions, have many elements that vary from different practitioners. Here are a few interesting things about the Loa.
    • Each family of Loa have unique traits.
    • One family, The Petro Loa are generally the more fiery, occasionally aggressive and warlike Loa, and are associated with Haiti and the New World. They include Ezili Dantor, Marinette, and Met Kalfu.
    • Marinette is a cruel and vicious loa...While she is feared and tends to ride those she possesses violently, she can also be seen as one who frees her people from bondage....Her Catholic counterpart is the Anima Sola (Forsaken Soul) who can either free one from bondage or drag you back. Her colors are black and deep blood red. Sound like anyone we know?
    • Papa Legba is the intermediary between humans and the Loa. This is one of his veves. http://altreligion.about.com/od/symb...es/Legba-2.htm Notice that this is the same as the image on the lower part of Pinstripe's hand, nearest to the rist.
    • Papa Legba is well represented in pop culture. In 1982, Elton John released a UK B-side titled "Hey, Papa Legba," with lyrics by longtime collaborator Bernie Taupin. The musical groups Talking Heads, The Smalls, Angel, Sun City Girls, and Sun God have also made songs named after him.
    • In the 1986 film Crossroads, blues musicians Robert Johnson and Willie Brown sell their souls to a "Mr. Legba" at a Mississippi crossroads.
    • Later in the film Legba takes the name "Scratch".
    • IMDB link to Crossroads movie. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090888/
    • 'Scratch' is a nickname for the Devil.
    • There are even Loa twins in Vodou, the Marassa Jumeaux are the divine twins.
    • Season 3, Chapter 27, "The 31st" If you divide 27 by 3 you get 9. 9 + 31 is 40 and... OK, I'm just fucking with y'all now. :-)

What can we make of all of this? Personally, I don't see these as being much in the way of any insight to the story's plot or zombie origins. I think these are symbolic elements of the story. Icons that ground some of the characters to mythological motifs. Perhaps, and I sort of hope, that the story is being told in a manner influenced by the works of Joseph Campbell. The characters represent archetypes of heroes and villains, angels and demons, sages and fools. The use of symbols does not mean that the story has a supernatural factor. It only serves as a way to connect the characters to the larger forces that control the lives of the subjects of the story. Perhaps, also, we will never know the great details of the scientific reasons behind the outbreak. This is also a hope of mine. Our heroes are learning quite a bit about the zombies and their nature but not enough, yet, for it to turn into a 'Star Trek-esque' work of science fiction. We've been spared the Mr. Spocks and Cmdr Datas with their super brains and scientific explanations. That works well in Star Trek because the science is so far into the future that anything they say can be made to make sense. Can't travel faster than light? Well, just go to warp speed. Pesky quantum physics getting in the way of a a working transporter? Just connect a Heisenberg Compensator.

'Star Wars' started out by telling a fantasy story without trying to explain away the mysteries with too much science. Do you know what happened? Midi-freaking-chlorians!
    Likes Storm liked this post
    Call Sign: Jive Turkey
    Ladies and Gentlemen, straight from Mysterical Island, it's the Shaman of Schiznick, the Mofo with the Mojo, the Mad Scientist of the Jungle, the Doctor is in!
    Doctor? Doctor who?
    NO! Witch Doctor, fool!

Mofo with the Mojo

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranPro Level Wiki Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Artwork? Wait, there's a Picture? I needa get that and someone WHO can descripe it to me! Lol!
    ...Guess the same goes for the cover art for the chapters. Hehe. This is one of the times being blind really sucks! (Joking joking, don't worry)
    But yeah, thanks for this post, and especially the Latin phrase - been wanting a translation of the English one for ages.
    If there'd been a "Loves" button I'd have clicked that.

Yep, here is the link.

Have we been given another clue, a red herring or am I reading too much into an artist's creative license?

I give you the artwork for Chapter 31 Attachment 2007

Now Behold! The Borromean Rings: Attachment 2008 Duhn duhn Dahhh!!!

The Borromeo Family is very old, yet extant aristocratic family originating in Italy. The Borromean Rings appear on their Family Crest as well as having relevance in other areas such as mathematics, science, religion, the occult...

Probably, the main point is that the rings are arranged in such a manner that removing one will break the link of the remaining two.
    I'm glad you guys are looking at this angle. Can't wait to see what y'all uncover.
    Likes Storm liked this post
    Call Sign: Jive Turkey
    Ladies and Gentlemen, straight from Mysterical Island, it's the Shaman of Schiznick, the Mofo with the Mojo, the Mad Scientist of the Jungle, the Doctor is in!
    Doctor? Doctor who?
    NO! Witch Doctor, fool!

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points3 months registeredLoved

Holy crap. That thread really started taking itself too seriously. I won't touch it with a 10 meter cattle prod. If I think of anything else worth mentioning, I'll probably just put it here.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points3 months registeredLoved

FWIW, I don't think KC will go Dan Brown on us. I see more typological characterization than allegorical. On the other hand, he has made heavy use of hidden clues and details linked in complicated and clever webs. Very few cigars have just been cigars, IMHO. I do think crows are just crows, though.
    Likes Witch_Doctor liked this post

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDung View Post
    FWIW, I don't think KC will go Dan Brown on us. I see more typological characterization than allegorical. On the other hand, he has made heavy use of hidden clues and details linked in complicated and clever webs. Very few cigars have just been cigars, IMHO. I do think crows are just crows, though.
    You take that back, sir!!!!
    Nyah, just kiddin'
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: slilckJoshua Steam ID: Grognaurd
    To paraphrase Tardust, all my crazy bird talk. With Burt named Raven and bird wings a major component of the ring. Quoth the raven; I mean KC, Nevermore!

They may be nothing, but I think they are working as intended, because KC's audience is thinking and having fun
    Likes scbubba, Witch_Doctor liked this post

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points
    Likely Angel didn't wear it all the time. However, it wouldn't be hard to carry it on him in any other manner.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123