User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    "Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsLoved1 year registered

Gamertag: MickGinger
    Yeah I get that, I added the notable guest voices section.
    Likes Kc liked this post

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassTagger First ClassWiki AmateurVeteranWell Liked10000 Experience Points
    Sorry, my class is getting the better of me, but I have a free night. I have some ideas from what I see on the wikipedia project page, so I will do some nominal suggesting editing. I'll post in here later tonight with what I did.
    "I have better things to do tonight than die."
    -Springer (while loading a mortar shell)

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassTagger First ClassWiki AmateurVeteranWell Liked10000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc View Post
    here's some info that would be very beneficial and things for an encyclopedia entry.

Background: We're Alive started early in 2009 when creator, Kc Wayland, originally outlined the story for a pitch for television. At the time he saw there was a gap in programming that could be filled by a horror survival. He designed a show that would take advantage of the repeated set, the tower, and then branch out from there as the show would get more popular. After the initial story and character outlines were created, he then proceeded to talk with other film producers seeing if there would be a way to get the show on broadcast television.

After not being able to successfully pitch the idea, Kc then decided to produce the show as an audio drama. The concept for self-production was a "if you build it, they will come"; in regards to both listeners and producers. In late April of 2009, Kc met with Shane and pitched the idea, setting in motion the two producers who would then create the serialized audio format.

Kc and Shane went on to produce two seasons (1-2), and then Grayson Stone (a Zintern in season 1 and 2) and Kc continued to produce seasons 3 and 4.

The Format:
    Several aspects went into why the audio-only format. By limiting the visuals, the story would be able to explore limitless possibilities in settings and situations not fully explored by this sort of genre. Being a "horror", the power of sound and "what you can't see", could be utilized in a powerful way. Using no visuals also limited the vastness of the production. Actors could come in once every two months for a full day of recording, and that would cover 6 full episodes (2 Chapters). It was one of the only ways a story this long was able to be told.

The production process: A typical chapter is about 60 pages long, and is recorded by the actors in a recording stage in Orange County, CA. A typical day runs about 6 to 8 hours of raw recording. From there, a voice cutter then goes through the session and separates just the usable lines, and then passes it onto another editor who then lays in the initial sound effects and pacing. The last stage then goes back to Kc, who acts as the supervising sound editor and covers the last stage of production, often doing a large amount of foley and music selections.

Release dates and length.
    In a typical month We're Alive produces 3 episodes, or 1 chapter, taking one week off between chapters. 12 chapters make up one season, and there are 4 seasons with a total of 48 chapters. Each episode is approx 20 minutes meaning each chapter is about an hour long.

Initial reception:
    We're Alive had a very slow start after the first episode aired in May of 2009. It took over five months for the series to exceed more than 100 downloads a day. However, a long steady episodes increased the pace of climbing download numbers and reached 1 Million total downloads by August 16, 2010 followed by a boost of over 2 Million more in the 4 months after that. From there We're Alive continues to gather more listeners, reaching 20 Million in December of 2013.

I think this is good, if not great, info to add, but maybe later in the editing process once the page is approved. I'm using a couple of podcast pages currently approved on wikipedia's site as a basis for what to have (at a minimum), so this info along with all the links submitted thus far will help flesh out the article.

Oh, here's two more links to add...

http://techland.time.com/2010/10/29/...on-were-alive/ (found it on the kickstarter project page... don't know how to include that yet, but I can picture something all "Hollywood movie setting" with it.)

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117983012 (yes, I stole that from your wiki page.)

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Okay, I'm going to post my recommendations along with the original write-up from the wikipedia page in chunks...

me:
    We're Alive - A Story of Survival is a podcast (Wikipedia link to “podcast”) presented as a radio drama (link to Wikipedia’s “radio drama”) set in Los Angeles during a zombie outbreak (use the Time article link for this sentence… that should make those Wikipedia heretics happy). It was created by KC Wayland and Shane Salk with the current version of the audio drama produced by Wayland Productions.

We're Alive premiered May 4th 2009 for podcast distribution on iTunes and Zune Marketplace, and is currently in its 4th and final season We’re Alive is released in three episode chapters with each new episode available on Mondays and a two week break scheduled between chapters. Episodes run between 20 to 30 minutes each.

Original:
    We're Alive - A Story of Survival is a story that follows a large group of survivors in downtown Los Angeles. The current version of the audio drama is produced by Wayland Productions, and is distributed through CD/Digital downloads by Blackstone Audio and also through the Nerdist Podcast Network.[1]

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Needless to say, I jumped around while doing this....

me:
    Contents
    • 1 Background
    • 2 Format
    • 3 Production Process
    • 4 Release Dates and Episode Length
    • 5 Publication
    • 6 Awards
    • 7 Cast
    • 8 Notable Guest Voices
    • 9 References
    • 10 Submission for Article Creation

Background
    We're Alive started early in 2009 when creator, Kc Wayland, originally outlined the story for a pitch for television. At the time he saw there was a gap in programming that could be filled by a horror survival series. He designed a show that would take advantage of the repeated set, the tower, and then branch out from there as the show would get more popular. After the initial story and character outlines were created, he then proceeded to talk with other film producers seeing if there would be a way to get the show on broadcast television.

After not being able to successfully pitch the idea, Wayland then decided to produce the show as an audio drama. The concept for self-production was a "if you build it, they will come"; in regards to both listeners and producers. In late April of 2009, Wayland met with Shane Salk and pitched the idea, setting in motion the two producers who would then create the serialized audio format.

Wayland and Salk went on to produce the first two seasons, and then Grayson Stone (an intern in season 1 and 2) and Wayland continued to produce the final two seasons.

(I can totally see those Wikipedia people eating this apart because there are no references. (((30 minutes later))) Actually, after taking some Tylenol and rereading this, I think if this synopsis is sprinkled with links to the IGN and Nerdist articles, it should fly for the most part. I cannot edit or contribute anymore right now.)

original:

Contents

1 Podcast
    2 Background
    3 Format
    4 Production Process
    5 Release Dates and Episode Length
    6 Published Version
    7 Awards
    8 Notable Guest Voices
    9 References
    10 Submission for Article Creation

Podcast

We're Alive premiered May 4th 2009 on iTunes, and is currently in its 4th and last season. When in production, the We're Alive series airs 3 episodes a month and 36 episodes a season.[2]
    Background

We're Alive started early in 2009 when creator, Kc Wayland, originally outlined the story for a pitch for television. At the time he saw there was a gap in programming that could be filled by a horror survival series. He designed a show that would take advantage of the repeated set, the tower, and then branch out from there as the show would get more popular. After the initial story and character outlines were created, he then proceeded to talk with other film producers seeing if there would be a way to get the show on broadcast television.

After not being able to successfully pitch the idea, Wayland then decided to produce the show as an audio drama. The concept for self-production was a "if you build it, they will come"; in regards to both listeners and producers. In late April of 2009, Wayland met with Shane Salk and pitched the idea, setting in motion the two producers who would then create the serialized audio format

Wayland and Salk went on to produce the first two seasons, and then Grayson Stone (an intern in season 1 and 2) and Wayland continued to produce the final two seasons.

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    me:
    Release Dates and Episode Length
    In a typical month, We're Alive produces three episodes, or one chapter, taking one week off between chapters. Twelve chapters make up one season, and there are four seasons with a total of forty eight chapters. Each episode runs between twenty to thirty minutes making each chapter just over an hour long (use the NerdyMagazine article link here).

Publication
    Blackstone audio (Wikipedia link to Blackstone Audio, Inc.) has published all three seasons of We’re Alive for Wayland Productions. In May 2013, the Nerdist announced that it added We’re Alive to the Nerdish Podcast Network (insert the Nerdist KC interview footnote link here). In October 2010, We’re Alive reached one million downloads and reached three million by the end of that December. (the OC register article). On 15 January, 2014, Wayland Productions announced that the We’re Alive series had reached 20 million downloads (footnote link to the We’re Alive facebook page announcement unless there’s some other announcement location)

original:
    Release Dates and Episode Length

In a typical month, We're Alive produces three episodes, or one chapter, taking one week off between chapters. Twelve chapters make up one season, and there are four seasons with a total of forty eight chapters. Each episode is approximately twenty minutes meaning each chapter is about an hour long.
    Published Version

Blackstone audio has published all three season currently in print. Season 1[4], Season 2 [5], Season 3[6]

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    I added a Cast section before the notable guest voices section.

(The reason I chose these actors/actresses and characters was because they were predominant in season one. It can be fleshed out later, but most wikipedia articles I've read list only main character in a section like this)

Cast (if they have a Wikipedia page, then link, otherwise leave it be)
    Jim Gleason as Michael
    Shane Salk as Angel
    Nate Geez as Saul
    Elisa Eliot as Pegs
    Claire Dodin as Riley
    Scott Marvin as Burt
    Tammy Klein as Kelly
    Jay Olegario as Datu
    • Blaire Wayland as Lizzy
    Notable Guest Voices...

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran

Gamertag: AnotherRedShirt Steam ID: AnotherRedShirt
    Here's a thought, the listenership data you mention in the "Ask Him Yourself" thread, is that publicly available? That might provide more useful information to the article's page if it is linkable.

Another thought is the disambiguation header that you see at the top of some articles and disambiguation page... is that something that wiki figures out for itself and auto populates or something that also needs to be written? There's a J-Pop group with a single by that name, (Sōda! We're Alive) the name of a German play (Hoppla, We're Alive!) and the first album of a Christian rock group. (Live Like We're Alive) Those are the first three things that (currently) return if you search Wikipedia for We're Alive.
    "I've got tons of great ideas. Trouble is, most of 'em suck." George Carlin
    "I've got the guns, the radio and the water for the Zombie Apocalypse, but you gotta have a yo-yo." Chris Boden

Hey, get a load of this. Guess who started writing again and has a spot in the fan fiction subforum?

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Shirt View Post
    Here's a thought, the listenership data you mention in the "Ask Him Yourself" thread, is that publicly available? That might provide more useful information to the article's page if it is linkable.

Another thought is the disambiguation header that you see at the top of some articles and disambiguation page... is that something that wiki figures out for itself and auto populates or something that also needs to be written? There's a J-Pop group with a single by that name, (Sōda! We're Alive) the name of a German play (Hoppla, We're Alive!) and the first album of a Christian rock group. (Live Like We're Alive) Those are the first three things that (currently) return if you search Wikipedia for We're Alive.
    I don't know if the Wikipedia powers-that-be would allow forum posts as a point of reference unless it is to show where a controversy started or the announcement of a new project (like a movie or a book). I know there's a ton of information that can populate the actual wikipedia page from the we're alive forums, but no one edits the forums.

I really hate the restrictions that Wikipedia seems to indiscriminately place for new articles and editing, but I can understand their reasoning... sometimes. Man, I sound like a Negative Nancy right now.
    Last edited by Hellbringer; Jan 17th, 2014 at 08:18 AM. Reason: places, place... i'm still drinking coffee right now.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranExtreme LoveOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: kc wayland Steam ID: waylandprod
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Shirt View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbringer View Post
    I don't know if the Wikipedia powers-that-be would allow forum posts as a point of reference unless it is to show where a controversy started or the announcement of a new project (like a movie or a book). I know there's a ton of information that can populate the actual wikipedia page from the we're alive forums, but no one edits the forums.

I really hate the restrictions that Wikipedia seems to indiscriminately place for new articles and editing, but I can understand their reasoning... sometimes. Man, I sound like a Negative Nancy right now.
    Yes. It's not the best source. Our stats are from our stats page which isn't publicly available, BUT I would say that stuff can be added AFTER the wiki gets approved. At this junction we need to make sure the whole thing is tight, neat, and well sourced. After it's created, modifying it is MUCH easier.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast