User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranExtreme LoveOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: kc wayland Steam ID: waylandprod

Exclamation Forum Hacked 27 - April - Update

AAAAAnnnnd we're back. So we got hacked around 3 am this morning. Thank you everyone who contacted me about it. I wasn't awake till about an hour ago, so it took me a while to get to it, but the fix was pretty easy.

The front page of the website after hacked said database was "dumped and dupped" or something like that. Well, we were able to get in via other themes on the website, and the mobile version worked just fine too. That being said most likely the front page was modified and maybe a few other strings as well, BUT just to be safe we did a system restore to 12 midnight last night PST.

So we lost a few pages and entries, but not a big deal. The site is safe. I did some research on the hacker and apparently he's a french white-hat who hacks to show security vulnerabilities and that he does it for "fun".

Whether or not that's true I encourage no retaliatory actions, except we try and find the hole he came in on and plug it. Forum Web Devs will work with me making the site more secure (Both the main page and forum).

Thanks everyone for staying with us. Are your passwords secure? Yes, or well, most likely. That information is encrypted and not even we can read them. I don't think it's an issue. Please let me know below of any weird forum functions or pages you might notice, but doing a full backup restore seems to have done the trick.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranExtreme LoveOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Could be unrelated but there is an app recommendation when trying to visit via the iPad .

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassTagger First ClassWiki AmateurVeteranWell Liked10000 Experience Points
    on a slightly funny note, the dude did give himself an xbox achievement after he hacked the page...
    "I have better things to do tonight than die."
    -Springer (while loading a mortar shell)

Your loyal web dev.

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA Points10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive

Gamertag: XtremeRSR PSN ID: SenatorX
    Oh dam. I will be able to help out once I get home. Flight lands at 11 so it'll be late but ill help how I can.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Oh dam. I will be able to help out once I get home. Flight lands at 11 so it'll be late but ill help how I can.
    Well, we're good for now, but we really should look at ways to make sure the forum is secure. How? not sure at the moment.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Am glad things are alright again.
    When I saw it for the first time, I was like "wtf???", and then I tried to get in touch with you on as many channels as were availbale to me. It was a very interesting experience, but I am in no need to repeat this shit again ...

All the best!
    Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

It's not the first time, and won't be the last. We keep backups in place for just such an occasion.

Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc View Post
    Could be unrelated but there is an app recommendation when trying to visit via the iPad .
    I think that's unrelated, Kc. I've logged on iPad for the past year and have gotten that notification for months now.

What is new, however is when I googled "Were Alive Forum" and the first link that shows says PWNED with some other code gobbledegook under it instead of the normal forum link. That may have been altered due to the hack.
    We're back Alive again for WA Descendants!!

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Litmaster View Post
    I think that's unrelated, Kc. I've logged on iPad for the past year and have gotten that notification for months now.

What is new, however is when I googled "Were Alive Forum" and the first link that shows says PWNED with some other code gobbledegook under it instead of the normal forum link. That may have been altered due to the hack.
    Oh great. I hope our Google cache didn't get changed while we were hacked. What are the chances!

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by Kc View Post
    Oh great. I hope our Google cache didn't get changed while we were hacked. What are the chances!
    I think the google cache may be ok now. I just googled We're Alive & We're Alive Forum. Both bring back the correct snippet info when showing search results. Google has gotten better at keeping caches up to date and I think (based on similar stuff with sites I've worked on) that they even notice big changes and will crawl more often for jst such a reason.

Thanks for getting things back online so quickly. If I can help with securing the forum, please let me know.
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast