User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Exclamation The REP in REPtrivia

This is for everyone and not just the Quizmasters.

There has been some discussion about where REP plays a role in the REPtrivia section.

The core of the discussion is that some people award REP for correctly answering the quizzes and some do not. Some will award REP for achieving a set score on a quiz. There are lots of ways that people are doing things with the quizzes.

Not to say that any of them are bad or wrong, but I wanted to see if there was some sort of consensus on how we SHOULD run REPtrivia.

So, I'd like to hear your thoughts on one of the following options:

a) A score of 100% should always result in getting REP from the quiz author. The author, at his/her discretion, may lower the "award threshold" to something below 100%. The author may also add other awards IN ADDITION to the REP (e.g., certain number of post Likes).

b) It is up to the quiz author to decide whether to award REP for a quiz at all.

If you have thoughts on other options, please feel free to include them in this thread as well.

Thanks,
    Bubba
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience PointsWell Liked

Gamertag: OldtypeM87
    Going back to the other thread between the quizmasters, I agree on C option C over there (which is A on here). I think that 100% on all quizzes should get rep and a potentially passing percent on weekly quizzes as well (as based on the discretion of the quiz maker). That's all I have as of now on this discussion
    If the zombie invasion happens, the first place I'm going to is Taco Bell for some chalupas. It's the last place anyone would go to.

"Researcher"

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurWA PointsBeloved25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: D4wGxxB0neS
    I just assumed that some sort of quiz points were automatically being tallied, but I hadn't really thought about it much. If it can be automatically done then I'm all for it, either but how the quizmaster sets up the quiz, or just like I had been assuming, some automated counter. I haven't associated reps with my quizes because I wasn't all that sure on how to apply them. Other than to maybe find one of that persons thread comment and rep him/her. If it can be done right from the quiz page or made to be automatic then I'm all for giving reps on quiz questions. Thats my 2 cents for now, and on that note I need to do todays reptrivia before my lunch break is done.

Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries
    I have been operating under the assumption that getting 100% on a daily doesn't necessarily earn you a REP. Since it's just one question, your percentage is either going to be 100% or 0%. I tend to think that a REP should be a bit more valuable than that, which is why I've been experimenting with different incentive packages.

I think it's time-consuming enough to create and post these quizzes without having to go through after the fact and dole out REP's to a dozen or so people who happened to get the question right. That gets to be a pain in the ass, and would disincline me from creating a lot of quizzes if that were the rule. If it were easy to do, As Robzombie said, perhaps as simple as just clicking on the person's name right from the quiz page without having to hunt down one of their most recent posts, then I wouldn't mind doing it.
    Likes LiamKerrington liked this post
    We're back Alive again for WA Descendants!!

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Hi there,

I actually never thought about the mechanics of repping through quizzes; and in all honesty I feel very much like Robzombie that I wouldn't even have any idea about how things would work. Admitted: Sometimes I thought about the "how", but since I am not very active on this board for quite some time up until now (and for some time into the future as well) - Mostly I do log on in order to utterly fail at the REPtrivias and then log off again - I never got into the real thinking of it anyway.

What I like about your option a, scbubba, are two things:
    1) Remembering the looooooooooong reptrivia-thread on the forum way back in time before the REPtrivia machine we happily shared plenty of REP again and again; thus returning to "something like this" - a repping-spree - would fuel the whole thing a lot, I guess;
    2) since I assume many trivia-competitors to be quite successfull on the qizzes the quizmasters won't run the risk of being not able to rep people because of the repping-threshold.

But now for the "dark side" of this: Repping like crazy also means two things:
    a) repping all the "winners" of quizzes will turn out to be a lot of work for each quizmaster - just imagine to search like 10-20 postings of 10-20 winners just in order to rep them;
    b) the reputation will skyrocket especially for those who join the reptrivia on a very regular basis like crazy. Not sure if everyone would like this. New REPTrivia-gamers could start feeling disheartened to join the reputation-frenzy, while others would try more and more and more just in order to beat others in their rep-value ... Well, why not.

All the best!
    Liam
    Likes Litmaster liked this post
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Thanks for te responses so far. I wanted to add a little info on the "automatic" part of the current REPtrivia quiz feature.

There is no automatic repping currently in the REPtrivia feature. I'm not aware of a way to do this in the plugin that controls REPtrivia based on my review of the documentation so far. I may have missed it though.

There are some points associated with REPtrivia already. Each user has a "times 1" multiplier for their quiz average that contributes to the user's total points in the forum. For example, if your quiz average is 80%, then you have 80 points for quiz average in your total points. If you then take a few more quizzes and do very well on them so that your quiz average goes up to 90%, then you will have earned another 10 points for yourself. If you, on the other hand, tank a few and drop your average to 70% then you will lose 10 points.

Each user also gains 1 point for each quiz taken and 1 point for each quiz created.

Just wanted to make sure everyone had that info for the discussion.
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scbubba View Post
    Thanks for te responses so far. I wanted to add a little info on the "automatic" part of the current REPtrivia quiz feature.

There is no automatic repping currently in the REPtrivia feature. I'm not aware of a way to do this in the plugin that controls REPtrivia based on my review of the documentation so far. I may have missed it though.

There are some points associated with REPtrivia already. Each user has a "times 1" multiplier for their quiz average that contributes to the user's total points in the forum. For example, if your quiz average is 80%, then you have 80 points for quiz average in your total points. If you then take a few more quizzes and do very well on them so that your quiz average goes up to 90%, then you will have earned another 10 points for yourself. If you, on the other hand, tank a few and drop your average to 70% then you will lose 10 points.

Each user also gains 1 point for each quiz taken and 1 point for each quiz created.

Just wanted to make sure everyone had that info for the discussion.
    Sweet, thank you. I had no idea about those mechanics.

All the best!
    Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

Your loyal web dev.

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA Points10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive

Gamertag: XtremeRSR PSN ID: SenatorX
    We can look into the automation of the REP. But I agree with step A.

Zombie humper

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsPro Level Wiki Editor10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran

I actually don't care about the rep that much, there are other things I would like more:
    I would prefer a better way to see my scores and to see answers to questions once they are old enough that you can no longer take the quizes.
    I would like a leaderboard that lets me see all of the people participating, I am ranked 7th or 319th?
    I would also like a mobil version of Reptrivia, I haven't checked lately maybe there is one.

KC's intent with Reptrivia was to get people going to the forums everyday. So I think you should always get rep for 100% correct answer. If it is multiple choice then no rep if its wrong. If it is a multiple question or multiple matching then you should get rep if you get 80%, less than 80% is a "C" so no rep for you.
    Last edited by Duffusmonkey; Apr 15th, 2013 at 07:25 PM.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranExtreme LoveOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: kc wayland Steam ID: waylandprod
    My opinion is that Rep can be offered, but not required for every quiz. It's up to the poster of the question. It seems only fair and would encourage new people to try making quizes too. Rep exchanges are more difficult because they are not automatic (UNLESS you can figure out a way to have that done with our plugin).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast