User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Favourite Documentaries

Been on a bit of a docu-kick lately, and I'm always on the search for an awesome documentary, so tell me what yours are!

The Transcendent Man. It's about inventor, futurist and author Ray Kurzweil and The Singularity.

This Film Is Not Yet Rated. An interesting look at who is rating the movies you watch.

Blue Gold: World Water Wars. Just like it sounds, it's about your drinking water.

GasLand. An interesting look at the ritual abuse of fossil fuels by man, specifically in America.

The Nightmare Factory. A good look into the world of movie make-up effects, and the boys of KNB.

I tend to watch a lot of docs, and I'm not going to list them all, but here's a few to get things rolling.
    joint-point-counter-joint

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked

Gamertag: smalls kenobi Steam ID: smallskenobi
    .... i guess no one likes Documentaries
    In fearful day, in raging night,
    With strong hearts full, our souls ignite,
    When all seems lost in the War of Light,
    Look to the stars-- For hope burns bright!

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    I'd like to give a shout out to the under-appreciated documentary work of KC Wayland. He has a whole YouTube Channel full of short videos, including a number of behind-the-scenes videos of the production of We're Alive. My favorite is the one on Chapter 16, where Jim Gleason and Elisa Eliot record their parts while sitting in a hot tub in bathing suits. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uSGz1SXtfyY

And who can forget KC's master work, "365 Boots on Ground", the story of a man with a shoe fetish so intense that he was compelled to get one pair of boots for every day of the year. http://www.amazon.com/365-Boots-Grou...oots+on+ground
    Likes Duffusmonkey, LiamKerrington, scbubba liked this post

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smalls kenobi View Post
    joint-point-counter-joint

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smalls kenobi View Post
    Well ... Most things I watch on TV are documentaries - and I don't mean scripted reality sh*t and similar TV-fart-jokes or TV-rubbish. I mean documentaries - especially the ones about natural sciences (the BBC things or discovery channel stuff), crime history, and things like this.

Besides this I enjoy "mocumentaries" to a certain degree; but there are only few good ones available.

So I tend to disagree with you; but then I would have to admit that I am not certain, if my taste in TV behaviour is a solid mirror image of the average guy's TV taste ...
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Elegant Universe

It is a pity that C programmers will never be able to grasp the powers of string handling. (This one is for you, scbubba )
    Likes scbubba liked this post

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    "Cosmos", by Carl Sagan. I just started re-watching the series on Hulu+, and it holds up very well for a product of the late 70's/early 80's. A few years back I had the chance to work on a project with a couple of SETI (Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence) scientists, one American, one Australian. Both of them admitted that "Cosmos" had inspired them to pursue careers in science in general, and SETI in particular.

Last edited by Cabbage Patch; Aug 12th, 2013 at 11:57 AM.
    Likes YetAnotherBloodyCheek liked this post

"Researcher"

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurWA PointsBeloved25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: D4wGxxB0neS
    I just caught a show on the History Channel about WWII. One of my favourite things to watch on TV when I was a kid about 25-30 years ago were the documentaries on war, particurarly the second world war. As I watched this one I couldn't help but notice, and to my dissappointmnet, how dramatic they make these shows now. Very repetitive, short on factual information, with added computer graphics and simulations. Although kind of neat, the quality of the material has lessened a great deal to me. As I watched this I couldn't help but remember the other shows I loved to watch including NOVA, and as mentioned above Cosmos. Seeing that CP is able to watch these I'm hopeful that I might be able to find these and watch them again myself.
    Likes Cabbage Patch liked this post

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Robzombie View Post
    I just caught a show on the History Channel about WWII. One of my favourite things to watch on TV when I was a kid about 25-30 years ago were the documentaries on war, particurarly the second world war. As I watched this one I couldn't help but notice, and to my dissappointmnet, how dramatic they make these shows now. Very repetitive, short on factual information, with added computer graphics and simulations. Although kind of neat, the quality of the material has lessened a great deal to me.
    I know what you mean. I was really looking forward to the Discovery Channel's series "Greatest Tank Battles", but found it extremely disappointing. Way too much emphasis on cheesy computer animation mixed with stock footage, very little technical, or historical data and a voiceover that tried to make it all sound so very exciting. In the end it wasn't particularly educational or entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Robzombie View Post
    As I watched this I couldn't help but remember the other shows I loved to watch including NOVA, and as mentioned above Cosmos. Seeing that CP is able to watch these I'm hopeful that I might be able to find these and watch them again myself.
    I've noticed there are quite a few old PBS programs available on YouTube. I found Cosmos on Hulu+, but I'm not sure if they have any other PBS documentaries there.
    Likes Robzombie liked this post

Zombie humper

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsPro Level Wiki Editor10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran

I have a list of documentaries that I plan on watching soon, most I have seen parts off that i still need to see end to end

"The Cove" Every year Japan slaughters about 2000 dolphins in a cove that turns blood red during the slaughter. The Japanese goverment tries to hide it so the documentary team had to do a undercover investigation to catch it on Film

"Radiactive Wolves" Documents how wildlife thrives in the radioactive area around Chernobyl because Radiation is not nearly as harmful as humans are.

"How beer saved the world" The title says it all

"King of Kong, a Fistfull of Quarters" Tracks a man trying to retake the world title for highest Donkey Kong Store, I believe he lived in his parents basement, I have to verify
    Likes Hanniekuma liked this post
    LOOK AT MY AVATAR!!!!! I have a bottle of trioxin 245 in my hand and I am NOT AFRAID TO USE IT!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast