User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    I said it behind the scenes, but I'd be perfectly happy to rescale the rep. Back when we were only giving out 2-3 points per post, 1000 rep points seemed impossible to get to. Now that we unleashed the beast of REPPING POWER...maybe we can redo our level structure to accommodate the new power wielded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    It would be important to define both precisely. Right now it seems like the two blend together. The "beloved member" would seem to suggest someone who has built a reputation within the community, as opposed to someone who posts something funny that people "liked." Perhaps just combining the two, adjusting the levels at which awards are attained, and avoid the confusion of people understanding the definitions of each. I'd say keep the way the system works as far as regular rep goes (the bars) and use the awarded hearts for levels within (much like the old flower and star) for levels reached within.

x2 per like could end up bumping someone into the thousands quick enough that goals become attainable, but not common.

Since we're on the subject, is there any way to build in some REP power for really quality, thought-out posts vs. just a quick funny joke? I don't mind either, but it seems like of foolish that a complete newbie suddenly gets promoted from a Level 1 Cutpurse to a Lv. 6 Cat-Burglar just because Lv. 25 Nikvoodoo laughs at one of his jokes. And it seems to me that the awesome weight of the REP power would weigh more heavily on those most endowed with it, lest their monster-dong powers of approval inadvertently come crashing down on the unworthy...

Simply put:
    - There should be a way for the Witch Doctors of the world to get a 'high five' for a clever post, but ...

- There should also be a provision for the Cabbage Patch's of the world to get more serious (and weighty) recognition for one of his incredible, map-laden, logistical posts.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Litmaster; Feb 14th, 2013 at 05:40 PM.
    Likes Osiris liked this post
    We're back Alive again for WA Descendants!!

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Litmaster View Post
    Since we're on the subject, is there any way to build in some REP power for really quality, thought-out posts vs. just a quick funny joke? I don't mind either, but it seems like of foolish that a complete newbie suddenly gets promoted from a Level 1 Cutpurse to a Lv. 6 Cat-Burglar just because Lv. 25 Nikvoodoo laughs at one of his jokes. And it seems to be that the awesome weight of the REP power would weigh more heavily on those most endowed with it, lest their monster-dong powers of approval inadvertently come crashing down on the unworthy...

Simply put:
    - There should be a way for the Witch Doctors of the world to get a 'high five' for a clever post, but ...

- There should also be a provision for the Cabbage Patch's of the world to be more serious (and weighty) recognition for one of his incredible, map-laden, logistical posts.

Thoughts?
    I completely agree. It's the difference between knowing who pushed the flower pot off the ledge in season one, and calculating the fallout of a nuclear blast over a five day travel time to a safe-zone. That's the downfall of linking "likes" to rep. Rep is built, likes are not.

/two cents

Bear in mind, this isn't a complaint, but a genuine criticism of the system as my understand of it allows. I'd rather see contributions of substance awarded, more than anything else. But I love the idea of something given as incentive to participate. It's just a blurry line between the two, and I suppose it might be too subjective to accurately define the borders of each.
    Last edited by Osiris; Feb 14th, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
    Likes scbubba, Litmaster liked this post
    joint-point-counter-joint

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

What we have right now is a combination of both. Click the thumbs up/down you give (or take away) 2 points. The star has returned meaning you can rep as you always have wielding your usual reputation power. Star the posts you love. Thumbs up the posts you just like
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    What we have right now is a combination of both. Click the thumbs up/down you give (or take away) 2 points. The star has returned meaning you can rep as you always have wielding your usual reputation power. Star the posts you love. Thumbs up the posts you just like
    That sounds like it will work. Now how to make it more widely understood?

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Litmaster View Post
    That sounds like it will work. Now how to make it more widely understood?
    once the dust settles from all the changes around here, I'll update the rep post in rules and regulations. I was going to today, but the system changed 2/3 times...I'll just wait till everything is done changing.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

I completely agree. It's the difference between knowing who pushed the flower pot off the ledge in season one, and calculating the fallout of a nuclear blast over a five day travel time to a safe-zone. That's the downfall of linking "likes" to rep. Rep is built, likes are not.

/two cents

Bear in mind, this isn't a complaint, but a genuine criticism of the system as my understand of it allows. I'd rather see contributions of substance awarded, more than anything else. But I love the idea of something given as incentive to participate. It's just a blurry line between the two, and I suppose it might be too subjective to accurately define the borders of each.
    I like what you are saying (as evidenced by the thumbs up on your post ) but isn't the system really going to work based on what each user decides to star? In other words, the community decides what is rep-worthy.

Unless we want to have people moderate the rep-giving such that it is more like the award system... Which I don't think anyone wants....
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scbubba View Post
    I like what you are saying (as evidenced by the thumbs up on your post ) but isn't the system really going to work based on what each user decides to star? In other words, the community decides what is rep-worthy.

Unless we want to have people moderate the rep-giving such that it is more like the award system... Which I don't think anyone wants....
    Well that's just it, what is rep worthy to one, may not be to another. What had me wondering was how the two were linked--mostly the questions came up during one of the changes when the star went away completely and rep was based in the "like" world. It's like the difference between liking a link on Facebook and sharing it, or re-tweets vs. favourites. One has slightly more "meaning" behind it than the other.

One thing I would really love to see is the ability to give an award that you possess to another user that you feel deserves it.

Example:

I've got the "Most Awesome Post Ever" award because of "whatever reason." I'm reading through another post about Angel's "what have you" and I come across a post that makes me say, "By Odin's Raven, I'd never, in my entire life, looked at it that way!" because of something that reaper(whatever numbers you want) posts. It'd be nice to be able to hand over the "Most Awesome Post Ever" award to him right here on the spot.

I guess that's a little like bestowing user points on another member. You're giving something of yourself to another. It's almost worth having a finite number of points in play, and users having to share them with each other. Rep you give isn't just appearing out of thin air . . . it's like you're vouching for them by giving them rep points that you have. I'm just spit-ballin' here.

On the subject of favourites, that'd be a really interesting feature to introduce. The ability to favourite a post.
    joint-point-counter-joint

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Well that's just it, what is rep worthy to one, may not be to another. What had me wondering was how the two were linked--mostly the questions came up during one of the changes when the star went away completely and rep was based in the "like" world. It's like the difference between liking a link on Facebook and sharing it, or re-tweets vs. favourites. One has slightly more "meaning" behind it than the other.

One thing I would really love to see is the ability to give an award that you possess to another user that you feel deserves it.

Example:

I've got the "Most Awesome Post Ever" award because of "whatever reason." I'm reading through another post about Angel's "what have you" and I come across a post that makes me say, "By Odin's Raven, I'd never, in my entire life, looked at it that way!" because of something that reaper(whatever numbers you want) posts. It'd be nice to be able to hand over the "Most Awesome Post Ever" award to him right here on the spot.

I guess that's a little like bestowing user points on another member. You're giving something of yourself to another. It's almost worth having a finite number of points in play, and users having to share them with each other. Rep you give isn't just appearing out of thin air . . . it's like you're vouching for them by giving them rep points that you have. I'm just spit-ballin' here.

On the subject of favourites, that'd be a really interesting feature to introduce. The ability to favourite a post.
    I hear ya. If we have at least two ways to "spread the love" then I think the community will settle into working similar to what you're talking about - likes for casual stuff (and fewer points) and star/rep for the awesome stuff (and correspondingly more points).

I really like that idea of having some sort of finite, precious resource that you can gather and either horde or dole out based on your preferences, etc. So maybe a third way to do it as well. Likes will get used a lot, rep would get used less often, and favorite (or some other name) would get used infrequently.

The key will be making sure it's pretty easy for folks to understand the what/how of the system. Then it'll find it's own balance as people use it. May have to adjust levels/titles etc once we see how things are going.
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Ok, I have a question ...

The like/ not like buttons allow me to spread love/ misery 2-point-wise on any possible posting available.
    Sharing love/ disapproval via the star still works basically in that way that I cannot approve/ disapprove someone more often; it is still the mechanic: If I 'love' - as an example - Osiris with hitting star => approve, then I will have to consider several others with my love, before I would be allowed to love Osiris again.
    In contrary the like/ not like buttons are open/ active anytime ... Is this meant to be that way? Or is this in the mode of "let's get the dust settled and see then again"?

All the best!
    Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
    Sharing love/ disapproval via the star still works basically in that way that I cannot approve/ disapprove someone more often; it is still the mechanic: If I 'love' - as an example - Osiris with hitting star => approve, then I will have to consider several others with my love, before I would be allowed to love Osiris again.
    In contrary the like/ not like buttons are open/ active anytime ... Is this meant to be that way?
    Uh...yeah. So, the 'like' button is more like flirting, whereas the 'star' button is more like...sex??

Wait-- is Kc promoting promiscuity??!?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast