User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    "Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    Iceland will survive. Bjork will use her ultrasonics to make the zeds explode.
    Björk is a one-person army. I would be afraid as hell if I were a zombie.

Besides, your keyboard layout is way too uncool if it does not provide the ö/Ö key.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YetAnotherBloodyCheek View Post
    Björk is a one-person army. I would be afraid as hell if I were a zombie.

Besides, your keyboard layout is way too uncool if it does not provide the ö/Ö key.
    Bitch, I'm Canadian. We don't have weird symbols in our language. Also, that's on of the best live performances I've seen from her. I actually watched that entire concert in the wee hours of the morning (I think it was like 4:30 or so) when I was sick. Headphones, dark room, cranked way up. It was mind-scrambling. Only the audio was actually in sync.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    Bitch, I'm Canadian. We don't have weird symbols in our language. Also, that's on of the best live performances I've seen from her. I actually watched that entire concert in the wee hours of the morning (I think it was like 4:30 or so) when I was sick. Headphones, dark room, cranked way up. It was mind-scrambling. Only the audio was actually in sync.
    Yeah, but äöü(ë - not on my keyboard) are easier to find on my keyboard than the any key.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Speaking of music:

There is only one 'music' available on earth which may turn out to be an effective weapon against zombies - and that is German folk musik.

About Switzerland: I thought about Switzerland a little more. I am not so certain if they could make their share of the alps a solid fortification against the zeeh-apocalypse. Yes, I see the argument speaking in favor. But here is the thing: All the arguments speaking in favor of the Swiss are valid for the people living in many parts of the Rocky Mountains as well; and it is certain that the zeeh-apocalypse has swept through the Rocky like the Rockys were the Great Plains.
    Therefore I have trouble acknowledging the Swiss as being capable of standing their ground against zeehs; but I would agree that maybe, if they react quickly enough to the zeeh-apocalypse, they could slow it down for a bit. Thus admitted: It is pretty certain that the Swiss would close their borders immediately when things in Europe became rough. But regardless of that: Just imagine two scenes:
    1) As soon as people in airplanes - no matter how big or small - would enter the airspace of Switzerland and would be able to land somewhere at least Kalani-style, then it would be not unlikely that a slow-turner or a plane-hugging super-zeeh (like the Little Ones) would enter Switzerland.
    2) Refugees would start to heavily crowd at the closed gates of Switzerland. Such groups would be targeted by the zeehs a lot. If the critical mass of zeehs is just big enough they would sooner or later be able to overrun the border posts, because these border posts are not solid several meter/ yards high walls, but actually pretty much open areas with a couple of fences. I have some trouble expecting the Swiss to react swiftly enough to sufficiently fortify the border posts to make it certain that nothing could get through it.

I could be wrong. And regarding my fictitious money in bank accounts there AND swiss cheese I would hope for the best for the Swiss anyway ...

All the best!
    Liam
    Last edited by LiamKerrington; Feb 8th, 2013 at 01:50 AM.
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
    ...About Switzerland:...I am not so certain if they could make their share of the alps a solid fortification against the zeeh-apocalypse...All the arguments speaking in favor of the Swiss are valid for the people living in many parts of the Rocky Mountains as well; and it is certain that the zeeh-apocalypse has swept through the Rocky like the Rockys were the Great Plains.
    All the best!
    Liam
    I have to admit that my hopes for the Swiss are colored by my memories of that country's mighty Cold War era defenses. All of the passes were fortified, hundreds of old tank turrets mounted in concrete bunkers to provide firepower, and materials to close the roads were hidden nearby. Jet fighter bases were built inside mountain caverns, with only the ends of the runways exposed. Fully stocked underground hospitals were built, then sealed for wartime use. And, of course, the military reservists kept their guns and ammo at home.

I'm sure that modern day Switzerland has slashed it's defense budgets just like everybody else in Europe, and I've heard that the reservists are now only allowed to keep a minimal amount of ammo for their weapons. But still, with even a few days warning, I think the Swiss would have a better chance than most.

Comparing the situation in the Rocky's to the Alps, there is one major difference--no one has ever defended the Rocky's against a real enemy. To defend them against the zombies you first have to make a plan, then gather the resources, then execute the plan. They had a day, two at most. There just wasn't time. The Swiss already had plans, the resources were in place. They just needed a little time, which they do in this scenario, and the will to act.
    Last edited by Cabbage Patch; Feb 8th, 2013 at 07:41 AM.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    I think that there are at least some safe spots on Earth, what about:

- Micronesia (OMG, I found another connection to Germany)
    - Polynesia
    - South America (with emphasis on the rain forest area)
    - Siberia (sparsely populated)
    - several research stations in Antarctica
    - Falkland Island - the last remaining territory of the once powerful Great Britain
    - and what about all the civil and military fleets / ships / convoys???

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    Comparing the situation in the Rocky's to the Alps, there is one major difference--no one has ever defended the Rocky's against a real enemy. To defend them against the zombies you first have to make a plan, then gather the resources, then execute the plan. They had a day, two at most. There just wasn't time. The Swiss already had plans, the resources were in place. They just needed a little time, which they do in this scenario, and the will to act.
    A big difference which makes THE difference. Yeah, I see your point.
    Zombie Story:
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    There is only more thing which troubles me. If there had been a (spatially limited) use of nuclear weapons in Europa, as implied by the thread starter, would they not have detected it at Fort Irwin? I am just curious, are there no detectors / devices installed for that at military bases?

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YetAnotherBloodyCheek View Post
    There is only more thing which troubles me. If there had been a (spatially limited) use of nuclear weapons in Europa, as implied by the thread starter, would they not have detected it at Fort Irwin? I am just curious, are there no detectors / devices installed for that at military bases?
    These are very good questions:
    a) did 'em Europeans nuke 'emselves? Or did the Russians nuke European locations?
    b) And why would Irwin not know about it?

While the first question(s) cannot be answered, since we have absolutely no information, I would guess that Irwin might not have the proper technology and systems to locate nuclear blasts around the world. But I don't know, haven't been to Irwin (yet). And if they have the proper devices and thus did not recognize nuclear blasts on the European continent, then the questions under a) would be answered: no nukes deployed ...

All the best!
    Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - is fun.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Fort Irwin is a training base, and doesn't have access to satellite data feeds, global communications systems, or worldwide radiation monitoring (which is largely done by aircraft and satellites). It's quite possible that they could be unaware of the continued existence of Europe, the fleet at sea or overseas nuclear explosions.

There is a NASA satellite tracking center on the Fort Irwin Reservation, but I don't know if they can exercise any control over satellites, or tap their data feeds.

On the other hand, the Europeans should still have control of their satellites, and they might well have noticed two large nuke explosions in US territory. Their investigation could make for an interesting story.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast