User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Gay Marriage!!!

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
    @Ordinary12: Now that you have received several very distinguished positions by several forum-members in return to your raised topic, what's your opinion?
    Well, Liam...while I do appreciate the love everyone has been showinjg me since I joined the Tower, my position on "Same Sex Marriage" is still the same. I think a complete seperation of Church and State, along with a "Flat Tax" (No more than 10%), would solve a lot of our problems in this country. I've read everyone's comments on the subject and I respect all of them...the ones I could follow any way...some of you people were speaking Greek to me. LOL!!! But I must stay with my original stance on the subject matter. An American citizen should be able to marry whomever they please, provided they can find some sort of holly man to marry them. I believe that marriage is a religious institution and should be completely seperate from the government but if someone is non-religious and wants the government to perform the marriage ceremony I wouldn't have a problem with the "Justice of the Peace" performing it for them. I just want it to be clear that the government would have to recognize all marriages performed by a representative of the Federal Government and/or a religious institution...but since being married wouldn't give you any speacial tax incentives, since we would all be under a flat tax, it wouldn't really be of any use to anyone for that purpose. I believe that marriages would then only be performed by people who really loved each other because there's no financial gain from it...thereby strengthening the family bond.

I believe "Reaper" was the one that stated insurance companies would not allow you to designate your girlfriend or lover as your primary beneficiary so I think that should be changed. I think insurance companies should allow you to name any (Single) person as your primary beneficiary, along with any children you may have (Two Child Coverage Only: To prevent over population.)

I also think we should do away with Social Security...since none of us is going to have anything when we're old enough to draw from it. I expect that I will have to work till the day I die because SS will be completely broke in 15 years. The most infuriating thing about SS is that I can't opt-out of it!!! This is not the America I fought for in Operation Iraqi Freedom! We claim to be the home of the free but our government steals from us on a daily basis. They take money out of my check every two weeks to put it towards Federal programs that don't work! The Presidential choices are either to vote for the guy wearing the blue tie or the guy wearing the red tie...they both suck!!! Then we have a chance to try something different...something fantastic...and the media calls him crazy and tells us, THE VOTERS, that he can't win so we shouldn't vote for him!!! If you aren't seething with anger at what our government has done so far to you, your children, your grandchildren, and the majority of other countries in the world, then you're just dead inside and should be ashamed of yourself!!!

That's my opinion, Liam...May God save America from itself!!!

"America's dead, Jim."
    Last edited by Ordinary12; Jan 5th, 2013 at 06:27 PM.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Okeydokey.
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
    Okeydokey.
    Ned, is it you?

@Ordinary: I can assure you that everything will be ok regarding social security, if the US government continues to coin nice litte coins like this one.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YetAnotherBloodyCheek View Post
    Ned, is it you?

No.

char_25842.jpg

Sorry for hijacking the topic with fun-stuff ...
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredWell Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordinary12 View Post
    This may, or may not, have anything to do with "We're Alive"
    SPOILER 
    the question of marriage may come into play one day. I know this topic can get very heated very quickly but I still want to put my two cents in and listen to the different perspectives of the residents of the tower. I personally don't think gay marriage is right but its not up to me to make that decision.
    I believe that decision falls to the religious institution performing the marriage.
    If you can find a priest, preacher, or holly man that's willing to marry you then so be it...but...I also believe in the sepration of church and state. That being said...I have never understood why the government is involved in the religious institution of marriage any way. Marriage is a religious bonding of two people...no matter what religion you follow or not. If you say vows and mention a deity of some sort that you believe is witnessing your marriage then it qualifies as a religious rite. So why does the government say that you're not married if you don't file your marriage with them? Some people may say that its about recieving tax breaks and other priviledges offered by the government if they are married. And again...I say why is the government getting involved at all? I believe that a flat tax would solve the whole problem. That way no one is shown any special treatment for marriage or anything else and the government can remove itself from the instituion of mariage all together.

What say you?
    Forgive me if this sounds silly, I'm from the UK so not familiar with marriage in Mississippi, you believe the decision should fall to the religious institution performing the marriage? Is marriage a solely religious thing over there, are there no alternatives?

Here in the UK, the majority of weddings are what we call "Civil Ceremonies", with no religion involved at all.

Mofo with the Mojo

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranPro Level Wiki Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Gfresh View Post
    Forgive me if this sounds silly, I'm from the UK so not familiar with marriage in Mississippi, you believe the decision should fall to the religious institution performing the marriage? Is marriage a solely religious thing over there, are there no alternatives?

Here in the UK, the majority of weddings are what we call "Civil Ceremonies", with no religion involved at all.
    We have both civil and religious ceremonies and a few states allow common-law marriages where no ceremony or government action takes place at all. Statistics are hard to come by, but it looks like there are more religious ceremonies than civil ones in the U.S. Speaking from people that I know personally, the main reason for a civil ceremony is that it's cheaper.
    Call Sign: Jive Turkey
    Ladies and Gentlemen, straight from Mysterical Island, it's the Shaman of Schiznick, the Mofo with the Mojo, the Mad Scientist of the Jungle, the Doctor is in!
    Doctor? Doctor who?
    NO! Witch Doctor, fool!

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredWell Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Witch_Doctor View Post
    We have both civil and religious ceremonies and a few states allow common-law marriages where no ceremony or government action takes place at all. Statistics are hard to come by, but it looks like there are more religious ceremonies than civil ones in the U.S. Speaking from people that I know personally, the main reason for a civil ceremony is that it's cheaper.
    Thanks for clearing that up, I'm not quite sure what Ordinary12's point is then, when he says "Marriage is a religious bonding of two people...no matter what religion you follow or not"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456