User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    "Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
    Deadmen_Walking: Sorry, no offense intended. Again: I agree with you.
    you know fellas

Quote Originally Posted by DeadMen_Walking View Post
    LiamKerrington: No offense taken, my good man. And now I do see where Duffusmonkey asked KC in another thread if this was ok. For all I know KC saw this and responded to him with a personal message on here. So my question/concern is probably all for not. lol
    there is a quote function for when you want to reply to a specific comment

i'm sorry y'all, i just had to get my troll on, you can ignore me now.

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    I thought I saw a thread where Kc was directly asked... I wonder if he would weigh in? If we're alive were transfered to network TV, the pure art would likely suffer anyway, and such a thing could prove the viabilty of the story on it's own without vulger dialogue. Some of the best art of this audio medium existed when you couldn't even discuss pregnancy on the air.

As a father, I can apprecciate the intent. As a father of a 14 year old who knows more dirty words than I do... I would have no use for this. But I always worried more about my son 'parroting' foul language than exposing him to Michelangelo's David or Venus Rising. If you let your kids play video games online I can gaurantee they are hearing worse there.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reaper239 View Post
    you know fellas

there is a quote function for when you want to reply to a specific comment

*IMG*

i'm sorry y'all, i just had to get my troll on, you can ignore me now.

edit: As I see it: Things were pretty obvious to everyone. Where's the need of quoting, if people understand the circumstances and the context? Right. No need.
    Last edited by LiamKerrington; Jan 3rd, 2013 at 10:36 AM.
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    All I'm going to say is this:

I do not agree with manipulating art to be less offensive to an individual. It's like walking into a gallery, taking a paintbrush, and slopping black all over a painting because it shows the form of a naked woman and you don't want to expose you child to it. Here's a pro-tip, don't expose your kids to it period. If you think it's too much for their little minds to comprehend, don't expose them to it. Don't take it upon yourself to force that value upon the world around you.

I don't agree with what is taking place here. Art is art. Leave art the fuck alone.
    you know, i have to disagree with you a little bit here, but only a little. yes, it is an art, and it is intended to be viewed a certain way (viewed being a relative term here) and i agree with your analogy, but at the same time, he's not destroying the original. i personally have no interest in listening to it censored, and i actually would not let my kids listen (when i have kids) until they reached about 15, or i decided they could handle it, but i really don't have a problem with him doing it and making it available. it's kind of like buying your kids lucky charms and picking out the marshmallows, why would you buy your kids lucky charms and not cheerios in that instance, i don't know, but regardless it is within his perview to do so for private consumption. maybe he feels his kids can handle the story, but doesn't want them exposed to all the language, i don't care, but he hasn't made the original in any way unavailable, so i'm kind of for him spending his own time to make the show more accessible to a wider audience, because language or no it's still a great piece of fiction. now, as far as actually making it available, that is definitely something that he should talk to KC about, but with his blessing to make it available here, i'm all for it. kind of a way for fans to pay tribute by trying to make it available to a wider audience.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reaper239 View Post
    you know, i have to disagree with you a little bit here, but only a little. yes, it is an art, and it is intended to be viewed a certain way (viewed being a relative term here) and i agree with your analogy, but at the same time, he's not destroying the original. i personally have no interest in listening to it censored, and i actually would not let my kids listen (when i have kids) until they reached about 15, or i decided they could handle it, but i really don't have a problem with him doing it and making it available. it's kind of like buying your kids lucky charms and picking out the marshmallows, why would you buy your kids lucky charms and not cheerios in that instance, i don't know, but regardless it is within his perview to do so for private consumption. maybe he feels his kids can handle the story, but doesn't want them exposed to all the language, i don't care, but he hasn't made the original in any way unavailable, so i'm kind of for him spending his own time to make the show more accessible to a wider audience, because language or no it's still a great piece of fiction. now, as far as actually making it available, that is definitely something that he should talk to KC about, but with his blessing to make it available here, i'm all for it. kind of a way for fans to pay tribute by trying to make it available to a wider audience.
    By changing the language to suit your own moral code, you've changed a core piece of the world. You've changed the way the characters speak and relate to each other. It's the destructive nature of censorship, and censorship of any kind is evil and should be done away with. I don't believe that anyone but the creator(s) have the right to re-work, re-word, re-produce their art. As far as making it available to a wider audience? No, it isn't. What it does is take away the artist's voice and replaces it with the voice of the individual offering it. As far as those people who are exposed to it, the original is no longer available. Pay tribute by adding to the universe, pay tribute by presenting art in the form it was intended to be presented. Don't shit in my mouth and tell me it's chocolate, and that's what this is. It's a lie.

I'll say it again, because you've touched on it, I've touched on it, and really this is what is at the heart of the matter: If you have a problem with the language, if you find it offensive enough that you don't want to expose your children or others to it, don't. Don't do it. Just leave it alone. I'd be far more concerned with what my children are putting in their mouths, than they do their ears. I would be more inclined to talk to them, and explain why it isn't OK to use the sort of language they are hearing in a podcast at . . . say . . . the dinner table or in school. If they aren't old enough to understand that conversation, they aren't old enough to listen to it in the first place. Would you take your five year old to a Tarantino movie, stop it half way through, and re-cut the film? No. You wouldn't do that, because it's ridiculous.

Just because something exists, and is sent out over the airwaves or optics for your enjoyment, doesn't mean that it belongs to you. It doesn't mean you have a claim over it to do with as you wish. Fuck censorship.
    Last edited by Osiris; Jan 3rd, 2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Forgot to quote.
    joint-point-counter-joint

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

I've moved this out of Everything Else as it contains too much potential for spoilers. I've also spoken to Kc about it and it's ok that its happened, but I would suggest in the future before you modify and republish anything that belongs to someone you should probably seek out permission first.

Pardon me while I put on my Gryffidor Scarf: There's a website dedicated to everything and all things, The Harry Potter Lexicon, and they produced and published an encyclopedia. This is a site that had all the blessings in the world from JK Rowling when it was online, she linked to it on her website, gave them awards for their dedication to the story, but once they published the encyclopedia they ended up in court being sued by Rowling and her publisher.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nikvoodoo View Post
    I've moved this out of Everything Else as it contains too much potential for spoilers. I've also spoken to Kc about it and it's ok that its happened, but I would suggest in the future before you modify and republish anything that belongs to someone you should probably seek out permission first.

Pardon me while I put on my Gryffidor Scarf: There's a website dedicated to everything and all things, The Harry Potter Lexicon, and they produced and published an encyclopedia. This is a site that had all the blessings in the world from JK Rowling when it was online, she linked to it on her website, gave them awards for their dedication to the story, but once they published the encyclopedia they ended up in court being sued by Rowling and her publisher.

It's one thing to allow things to exist for the collective enjoyment of others in a certain medium, but once you try to take the works of another and publish them for profit, you're stealing. Not to say that Rowling wasn't involved in her own plagiarism battle in the past, so the irony is not lost on me, but to be honest . . . she was well within her rights to say, "Whoa, you motherfucking muggle motherfuckers . . . that's my shit, that's my shit."
    joint-point-counter-joint

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranExtreme LoveOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: kc wayland Steam ID: waylandprod
    He checked with me on twitter. It's alright as long as it doesn't become a huge draw of traffic or takes away a reasonable number from our potential downloads. As long as it's small scale on here I'm ok with it.

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kc View Post
    He checked with me on twitter. It's alright as long as it doesn't become a huge draw of traffic or takes away a reasonable number from our potential downloads. As long as it's small scale on here I'm ok with it.
    Well there we go.

And I completely agree Osiris, in my example she had every right to stop them from selling the book.
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

"Fresh Meat"

Status

Gamertag: Darkpa55enger42
    Quote Originally Posted by Kc View Post
    You're a nicer guy than me.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast