User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Your loyal web dev.

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA Points10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive

Gamertag: XtremeRSR PSN ID: SenatorX
    Quote Originally Posted by Robzombie View Post
    I started listening to it around episode 6, so I've been listening for quite awhile, and have honestly gone through the whole thing almost 3 dozen times now. In fact since a week before this past Christmas I've gone through it another 4 times and the 5th time right now at chaper 34. Each day at work I can get through 2-3 chapters then another in bed. But even still I might not remember something, like who the hell Cheryl was!! Too much smoking in my youth I suppose.
    Same here, I prefer We're Alive over music at work. Haha there are still names and locations that come up that I haven't heard before. It was funny to see Cheryl cause quite the commotion!

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredWell Liked

Quote Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
    Not sure what to think of this.
    The weekly released episodes is kind of cool, 'cause each episodes offers plenty of stuff to talk about it. Just heck the discussion area on this forum thoroughly. And in my humble opinion this adds a certain level of "getting involved" with the show, which a standard audio-drama or audio-book (like WWZ) lacks.
    And the big gaps between each season ... Well, you know: WA is a podcast with a huge cast and crew ... And most of them have a real life beyond the WA-universe and -production. Considering this I really have no trouble waiting for the next season to come. And in this meantime I have the awesome and incredible opportunity to re-listen to the show a couple of times. My experience with that is that you recognize many, many things on the show that simply slipped your attention when you listened to it the first time. Therefore re-listening to it is a total win-win-situation - you learn more about the show and you close the gap between the last and the next release date no matter how much time falls inbetween.

All the best!
    Liam
    I respect your opinion and perspective as I do that of the others who have responded in kind. I am not much of a joiner/talker so the community aspect holds no real appeal for me. I agree that there is tons to learn going over the season in bulk and wonder about and catch. That's why it's fine for me to let it end where it did, seems like a good stopping point for me.

It isn't just this show that I'm like that about. I never watch episodic shows one week at a time. I watch whole seasons instead. I appreciate the quality of the podcast and love its portability. I work from home and am usually listening to it while I do my job but I have taken it with me on plane trips and to the grocery store and think it's awesome. Just cannot abide a half a year absence. It is highly likely that I won't listen to more until the whole show is completed.

Different strokes for different folks right?

Zombie humper

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsPro Level Wiki Editor10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran

I prefer listening to a whole season at once but I can't wait that long.

When the TV show Heros first cam out I watched the entire first season back to back and LOVED it. Then I watched the Second season one episode at a time and hated it. The second season was mediocre at best but I also couldn't stand commercials after watching the first season with limited commercial interruption. It spoiled me so much that I completely stopped watching live TV. I only watch internet episodes now.

It is a compliment to We're Alive that I will listen to weekly episodes.

Serial Radio and TV shows are designed to have a cliff hanger to force you to stay interested until the next show is released. The Internet has turned me into a instant gratification junky and cliffhangers usually feel so fake that I can't stand them.

Its kind of funny because in the late 80's a lot of sociologist were talking about how TV had reduced people's attention spans and created a demand for instant gratification. Those same sociologist must look at what the internet has done and wish for the good old days of Broadcast TV's dominance.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffusmonkey View Post
    I prefer listening to a whole season at once but I can't wait that long.

When the TV show Heros first cam out I watched the entire first season back to back and LOVED it. Then I watched the Second season one episode at a time and hated it. The second season was mediocre at best but I also couldn't stand commercials after watching the first season with limited commercial interruption. It spoiled me so much that I completely stopped watching live TV. I only watch internet episodes now.

It is a compliment to We're Alive that I will listen to weekly episodes.

Serial Radio and TV shows are designed to have a cliff hanger to force you to stay interested until the next show is released. The Internet has turned me into a instant gratification junky and cliffhangers usually feel so fake that I can't stand them.

Its kind of funny because in the late 80's a lot of sociologist were talking about how TV had reduced people's attention spans and created a demand for instant gratification. Those same sociologist must look at what the internet has done and wish for the good old days of Broadcast TV's dominance.
    I like your point of view. Back in the Eighties a lot of series were based on the scheme. You just have to take a look at how the A-Team, Miami Vice, MacGyver and so on were produced. There was utterly little interconnection between each episode. The plots were less elaborated, the good guys were good, the evil ones really evil. But thanks to broadcasting stations like HBO, the way of presenting a TV series changed. The people in charge optimized the possibilities a serialized media format is able to provide. Ironically, most blockbuster movie seem to respond to this new trend, their overall running time has increased during the last years up to nearly two and a half or close to three hours: Django Unchained, The Dark Knight Rises, The Hunger Games, even Skyfall.

I think what makes WA work is "augmented listening." You have random access to each and every episode, you have the vast opportunities here at the forum, you can check facts on the Internet, but most of all - you are not able to extract all the information and hints hidden in each episode by only listening once.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsBeloved
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginja View Post
    I never watch episodic shows one week at a time. I watch whole seasons instead. I appreciate the quality of the podcast and love its portability. I work from home and am usually listening to it while I do my job but I have taken it with me on plane trips and to the grocery store and think it's awesome. Just cannot abide a half a year absence. It is highly likely that I won't listen to more until the whole show is completed.

Different strokes for different folks right?
    I started doing the same just after Lost ended, but only with somewhat "serious" series, not with comedy. I guess the disappointment was too much for me, so I was overcome by "fear of commitment": I'm never going to suffer through a series the way I suffered through Lost, becoming a passionate watcher, engaging on the ARGs and forums just to be let down in the end. I now only watch series which are already completed, so I can watch them at the pace I prefer and in any case, they won't have my passion and excitement for naught again.
    Unfortunately, this applies only to things I discovered AFTER Lost, and I discovered WA before that But I trust KC WAY more than any $-stuffed Hollywood writer with a dadaist script generator, so I keep engaging in it on a weekly basis
    Likes Ginja, Aerock liked this post

twitter.com/AerockParinas

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First Class1000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorTagger Second Class1 year registered

Gamertag: aZuLPiNoY PSN ID: aZuLPiNoY
    Quote Originally Posted by Drannix99 View Post
    During the break before the upcoming season 4 I have decided to re-listen to all of the We're Alive Podcasts seasons 1-3. When you listen to the episodes back to back the show has an entirely different feel.
    I've only listened from beginning to the current stopping point (Season 3 finale) once. I know that many of you have already listened several times, but I'm issuing out a challenge.

My fellow WA fans: While we wait for Season 4, relisten to the entire series to date and ADD TO THE WIKI! The first time around, I actually added to the WIKI after listening to each chapter. Our WIKI is seriously lacking and it could use some TLC. Who's game?

Oh, and all you Facebook users... check out and join this WA marathon event: https://www.facebook.com/events/486546401392893/
    Last edited by Aerock; Feb 25th, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
    Likes scbubba liked this post
    Drop beats, not bombs. Fight war, not wars. When the heart does not know what it cannot do, it does everything. Revolution only works for those who participate. Start loving... I am ♥

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    3 months registered5000 Experience PointsWell Liked

Gamertag: OldtypeM87
    I'm going to try and add at least one thing to the wiki on my 2nd listen through of the series
    Likes Aerock liked this post
    If the zombie invasion happens, the first place I'm going to is Taco Bell for some chalupas. It's the last place anyone would go to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12