User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Sex and the Zombie

First of all, I have to disappoint whoever reads this if you considered the thread to be related to the question "Do zombies have a sex life?" Sorry, this will not discussed here, at least by this very first posting.

What is this thread about then? Well, there are two things orbiting around my head for quite a while now. First off, WA (as well as The Walking Dead) depicts killing zombies in pictorial / explicit noisily way. A wide variety of killings (zombie/human) is told throughout the storyline. As a listener, you are able to immerse into the bloodshed, to feel the despair whenever something goes horribly wrong.

However, on the other side, there is a tiny little thing that is only touched upon: sex. Now, I am not a 13 year old teenage boy any more (at least I hope so) and I do not need free swinging breasts in a zombie show to gain interest in following it. It is quite the opposite, but regarding the minute descriptions that go along with the task of depopulate the world of zombies (including all the beloved gory situations: bloodshed, open fractures, torn off arms - you name it) on the one side, sex is not a big issue at all it seems. Yeah, there are Michael and Pegs who occasionally practice vanilla sex - but that is about it except Saul and Lizzy.

So would it be over the top to postulate that in American media, guns are good, bare boobs are bad? Just a thought, waiting for some input from you.

Let me move on to my second question. Is Scratch a completely asexual character? Throughout the series, there is not real indication what or better who arouses her. I do not have any idea. Whether she is hetero-, homo- or bisexual or lives in a happy relationship with her knife (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/object sexuality) - we do not know. I am just asking because, if there is a lust-driven character in WA, it is Scratch. Torturing and killing people is her "thing" which gives her satisfaction Rolling-Stones-style.

That is it, what are your thoughts. And finally, I am happy that I did not mention anything related to Black Hawks.

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by YetAnotherBloodyCheek View Post
    So would it be over the top to postulate that in American media, guns are good, bare boobs are bad? Just a thought, waiting for some input from you.
    You nailed it right there. The groups that give "ratings" to movies and television shows are more inclined (my observation, at least) to show violence to kids instead of the human body. In other words, killing someone is more likely to be shown in popular movies than having sex. My theory is that the WA podcast gets the explicit tag because of the "F word" more than the violence.

Quote Originally Posted by YetAnotherBloodyCheek View Post
    Let me move on to my second question. Is Scratch a completely asexual character? Throughout the series, there is not real indication what or better who arouses her. I do not have any idea. Whether she is hetero-, homo- or bisexual or lives in a happy relationship with her knife (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/object sexuality) - we do not know. I am just asking because, if there is a lust-driven character in WA, it is Scratch. Torturing and killing people is her "thing" which gives her satisfaction Rolling-Stones-style.

That is it, what are your thoughts. And finally, I am happy that I did not mention anything related to Black Hawks.
    Regarding Scratch, I think she shows some interest in Lizzie at the first meeting. And during her story about her rape, I got the impression that Scratch may have decided to be done with men.... I could be wrong though.
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by scbubba View Post
    You nailed it right there. The groups that give "ratings" to movies and television shows are more inclined (my observation, at least) to show violence to kids instead of the human body. In other words, killing someone is more likely to be shown in popular movies than having sex. My theory is that the WA podcast gets the explicit tag because of the "F word" more than the violence.

Regarding Scratch, I think she shows some interest in Lizzie at the first meeting. And during her story about her rape, I got the impression that Scratch may have decided to be done with men.... I could be wrong though.
    The "F word" - I love the term. However, I think that using the "F word" on "The L word" implied far more explicit meanings...

Regarding Scratch's orientation, I concur to you, "The Remains Of Eastern Bay" implied that Scratch could be into women.

+1 Sorry, cannot rep you atm.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Oh God, I think Osiris is going to hate me for discussing Scratch's orientation.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

The fuck... what are you guys smoking? Crack? What's this about orientation? Doesn't anyone remember the great Riley debacle... oh wait... no... neither of you would. Sometimes it's best left to the ether. As far as Scratch's orientation goes, I'm a firm believer that she swings both ways. Sure, she identifies straight... but nothing wrong with some tits once in a while... it's all good... if the balls don't touch, it's not gay. What? That's a true statement isn't it? I heard that was a rule... and since it's a rule, and Scratch has no balls with with to touch other balls....

It's all good in the dark.

P.S. The thread title actually conjured an image of Sarah Jessica Parker right out the gate. For that I blame my ex.
    joint-point-counter-joint

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    I can only image the Riley debacle you are talking about.

But whereas we got - let's say - at least some evidence pro or contra Riley's orientation, there is merely none even on a subatomic level concerning Scratch.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    And if scbubba and I would smoke crack, we would most likely discuss whether Scratch is going to spank Tardust's buttocks for fun during the WA hiatus. Poor guy, Tardust.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

As for showing guns and violence on the one side and anything regarding exchanging body-fluids ... I remember that on iTunes WA is marked as explicit. And I bet that has nothing to do with Michael asking Pegs, whether she was naked or not while bathing at the coastline of lovely zombie-LA ...

In general and considering the very "nature" of America's people, guns may be considered much more accepted then showing love and tenderness in the open. Thus I consider it normal and not even slightly disturbing that there is a similar treatment of both on shows like this. Besides: the different jibes from Michael, Pegs, CJ, Saul, Lizzy ... Hell, it's fair enough that very personal things remain personal in this show.

Ok, and as for Scratch. No clue, what you are up to. Let me quote this:

633921783736320000-facepalm.jpg

All the best!
    Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

About Scratch and her sexual agenda ... Your argument is: Scratch could be this and this, because on the complete show we have no indication for what she likes - hetero-, homo-, bi-, objecto- or a-sexual.
    Dude: Then most characters in this show could be anything. I wonder what makes Scratch so special to think about her sexual agenda. Because she is supposed to be the main villain on the side of the humans? Or that she has some of the most awesome quotes and scenes on the show? That she has such a brutal background-story, which would explain almost anything that is not aiming at hetero?

Really ... No clue what to think about it. In my humble opinion: If Scratch ever finds the right person to fall in love with, she may even share some acts of love with that person. Actually I don'T even care what type of sexuality this would involve. Does it matter anyway? No.
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well, the question simply manifested in my head. It is just that a question posted as a thread on this forum. Does it matter? Probably it does, probably it does not. Who cares? If someone feels compelled to post on this - feel free to do so. If not, it is ok as well. A thread is just a thread, that is all, mate.

And I really enjoyed reading Osiris posting, so creating this thread has been totally worth it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast