User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    "Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Annoying character accents

Ok, a fresh new thread!

Do not be afraid, it is not about Datu's or Riley's accents. I merely asked myself, if there are any other accents that might sound unflattering to your ears. Straightforward, let me start with my mother tongue. Yes, we are talking about German, a language with the power to render your computer's space key useless due to words like Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswe rkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft. Yeah, the virtually unlimited compounding of nouns can be a bitch, can it not?

Personally, would you endure listening to a character in WA who speaks with a German accent? As much as I am concerned, people refer to German as a rather harsh and inharmonious sounding language. For example, imagine the following dialog:

"Oh, my Got! Meikel [Michael]! Ze zeehs are koming down ze hill. Zey be hear in djust ah moment. Woot shall we do about it? I don't hafe any ammo left for my Heckler & Koch. I diht tell you that this whole plan was a baahhd eye-dear! Ahh, ze zeehs are hear, t'shoot zem, t'shoot zem..."

However, I doubt that any German character would be member of team Good, because, let's face it, in most blockbusters, German characters are playing nazis Raiders Of The Lost Ark or Bond villain or both.

Furthermore, Germans in general do not like the adventure business, so other arguments against a German character can be derived from this blog posts:

How-to be German part 1
    How-to be German part 2

Nevertheless, there are also arguments for an German character. Most Germans procured so many insurances which allows them to become action heros theoretically because they consider these policies to prevent them from harm.

Moreover, maybe a German character would have a deeper understanding for zombie tactics, due to the fact that eating brains once was quite popular in Northern Germany before the BSE outbreak.

And finally, a character from the cool nation who invented the metal umlaut would certainly be cool as well.

So, again, what are your thoughts on this?

But please keep in mind, don't mention the war!

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    I love German accents, and I can think of a lot of interesting characters who could sport them. Scientist/engineer is a common archetype in American media. So is hot girl/super-model (Heidi Klum anybody?). You could introduce them as Colony or Boulder survivors. Or soldiers; when I was at Fort Irwin there was a Bundeswehr liaison team stationed there, along with some British, French, Israeli and Australian personnel.

I think it would be fun to have two German characters, one from Hannover and one from Stuttgart, who have to talk to one-another in English because they can't understand each other's German accents.

Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries
    We're back Alive again for WA Descendants!!

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    .I think it would be fun to have two German characters, one from Hannover and one from Stuttgart, who have to talk to one-another in English because they can't understand each other's German accents.
    Now that is funny right there ^
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage Patch View Post
    I love German accents, and I can think of a lot of interesting characters who could sport them. Scientist/engineer is a common archetype in American media. So is hot girl/super-model (Heidi Klum anybody?). You could introduce them as Colony or Boulder survivors. Or soldiers; when I was at Fort Irwin there was a Bundeswehr liaison team stationed there, along with some British, French, Israeli and Australian personnel.

I think it would be fun to have two German characters, one from Hannover and one from Stuttgart, who have to talk to one-another in English because they can't understand each other's German accents.
    Yeah, this might be fun. As long as no character is from Bavaria which would render the whole communication thing pointless.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by scbubba View Post
    Now that is funny right there ^
    By the way, any name suggestions / preferences? Would there be more than just let's say Karl, Otto, Hans, Franz, Heinrich, Dieter?

Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries
    And here's an old favorite:

We're back Alive again for WA Descendants!!

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Quote Originally Posted by YetAnotherBloodyCheek View Post
    Yeah, this might be fun. As long as no character is from Bavaria which would render the whole communication thing pointless.
    LMAO!

I've never been to Germany but this thread makes me think it would be similar to someone from Boston, Massachusetts talking to someone from elsewhere in the US.

Last edited by scbubba; Nov 26th, 2012 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Fixed video link
    Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    the German language is beautiful...other people have no taste.

Or I don't.

Not sure which.
    KAW

W/A convoy supply and general manager: info? follow ? > @_toddisdead

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by scbubba View Post
    LMAO!

I've never been to Germany but this thread makes me think it would be similar to someone from Boston, Massachusetts talking to someone from elsewhere in the US.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kCsDlVUI2tw
    Oh, the link does not work for me. Does this match the Boston accent?:

It is quite challenging to sometimes understand the native speakers on WND if they come from New Zealand, Australia (I love the accent though) and so on. However, I like the diversity!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast