User Tag List

"Lurker"

Status

Lightbulb Zombies react to noise

Our country is littered with air raid sirens that are already designed to be activated remotely. Zombies react to noise. There is no reason that zombies couldn't be persuaded to take a misdirected trip along air raid routes. Of course, it could also attract more ...

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Slxpluvs View Post
    Our country is littered with air raid sirens that are already designed to be activated remotely. Zombies react to noise. There is no reason that zombies couldn't be persuaded to take a misdirected trip along air raid routes. Of course, it could also attract more ...
    It's a good point that hasn't come up in a while. The early episodes were full of zombies reacting to loud noises...the man honking on the highway, the arms room alarm, using car alarms as distractions, etc. There is even an audio component to the KODI system. If you can still make the air raid sirens work in LA you might be able to use them to lure the zombies into the open in order to kill them en-masse.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Don't they rely on electrical power? Or do these devices have long-living batteries? Or do you need someone to actually activate kind of a dynamo or something?

Besides that: I recognized many times in which we had plenty of noise, but no zeds showing up - even very early on the show ... If you like I provide a list ...

All the best!
    Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
    Don't they rely on electrical power? Or do these devices have long-living batteries? Or do you need someone to actually activate kind of a dynamo or something?
    Civil Defense air raid alarms are generally basic electric sirens, controlled from a central command post. By this point they wouldn't have electric power and we have to assume any backup batteries would be flat. On the other hand, they should be pretty easy to power up using portable generators, and I know a yard at Fort Irwin where there were usually about a thousand 1KW portable generators that could do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by LiamKerrington View Post
    Besides that: I recognized many times in which we had plenty of noise, but no zeds showing up - even very early on the show ... If you like I provide a list ...
    I don't think we acttually know enough at this point to tell the best way to attract a zombie, or whether it varies from one zombie to another. First we learned about their attraction to loud noised. Then came the sweat attraction concept. I suspect the KODI approach of combining noise, scent and a visual target is the best approach.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Slxpluvs View Post
    Just checked the Wikipedia article. Whether mechanical, electrical or steam-based, sirens require some sort of energy source to work. I think that the costs for activating such a siren grid would outweight the benefits.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Portable generators would do the job ... Yeah, I see that. And if you do it like with the church bells in Episode 4 of the "The Wlking Dead"-computer game you could try to maneuver the zombies away without even risking precious lives ...
    Yeah. I like the idea!
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Lurker"

Status
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredWell Liked
    Completely out of character for the series, but have someone bust into a music shop. Take a couple of saxophones.
    Find a building top, with no adjacent buildings near its height, that can be locked from the outside.
    And blow from the bottom of your lungs. Instant zombies!

"Builder"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked
    Instant zombies, just add noise?

But I agree, this is a very interesting option to consider. We all know that making noise attracts zombies, but why haven't the survivors done that in the past for their benefit? I only remember one time, when Burt discharged the late Shirley in our first meeting of Latch and Scratch.

Now, on the other side of the coin, the survivors know that sound attracts them and as their main job hasn't been to kill as many zedheads as possible but rather to stay hidden, there have been very few chances for the survivors to utilize this. The only time I could think of would have been when they were attacked, but then they had the sweat jars and the fighting already made enough noise. And I doubt the air raid siren or any other sound would have drawn any significant amount of zombies away from food that was right there, nicely canned up.

The best way to use sound, I think, would be to use it like they did in the first season of Walking Dead, when Glenn was driving around in that car. Other than that, I don't think survivors (in WA or real life zombie apocalypse) should make any more sound than absolutely necessary
    Disclaimer!
    These are the ravings of an insane lunatic. Take nothing he/she/it says, does or looks like seriously

Wonderful story with an exciting ending

"Lurker"

Status

Gamertag: Melonbreadz
    That is very interesting but i don't think that it would matter if there was noise or not i think the only reason they reacted to the noise at the beginning of the series was because there was no higher up or "ranks" per-say because this all just happened so they were free to do as they pleased but as the show goes on further you noticed of how much noise these people make doing simple tasks and what not and no zed heads appeared. is it because they have evolved of that trait or is it because they were told not to go?