User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Looking for recommendations: Kindle ebooks on zombie-titles!

Hi there,

for quite a while now I consider getting a Kindle - finally. Since I am kind of a heavy Amazon's products consumer, this steps seems to be quite logical instead of choosing 'free' eBook readers ... And yet I am hesitant. Up until now for me it is obvious that I would get only this kind of literature that is capable of distracting me from real-life, giving me something to chew on without being to serious in any way ...

Now what I really enjoyed reading was the essay by some American lawyer about zombies having to pay taxes - no matter what; that was hilarious, funny, informative and very disturbing as well as distracting; and a few minutes ago I finished reading the foreword of this booktitle:

"Theories of International Politics and Zombies", by Daniel W. Drezner - I liked it!

Maybe you remember me having quite a positive opinion about WWZ by Max Brooks, because I consider it 'realistic' to some degree ... (What Zombie-theory could be more realistic then Kc's WA-zombies ... ?). Point is: I like to look deeper into zombie-stories that don't rely on the gore-horror and brains-humor of zombies, but I'd like to read more stories that try to describe the minor and major side-effects of zombie-apocalypses not only on humankind, but also of environmental scope and whatnot ...

Entering "zom* or Zomb* or just zombie into the search mask of Amazon.com gets me far more then 4.500 entries on zombie-related titles, not considering all those titles not having "zombies" in them ... And that's why I ask you:

Do you have Kindle- or eBook-recommendations I should try?

(Naturally: I will get the anthology of Wild West zombie short-stories ...)

All the best and thank you in advance!
    Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Just a suggestion: At least he looks like a zombie

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Thank You, YABC ...
    But I guess, since this is a) a paperback and b) not exactly what I was hoping to get as a recommendation, I very likely won't consider this as an option.

Just an example: What about the LZR-1143-series by Bryan James? Anyone here who read it?

Looks like this thread is a first step for me to take, right?
    http://www.zombiepodcast.com/forum/s...st-Zombie-Book
    WWZ I already read; Day by Day Armageddon and Patient Zero are mentioned pretty often. But are those "environmental" as well, thus trying to grab the big picture and not only the perspective of the survivors?

All the best!
    Liam
    Last edited by LiamKerrington; Oct 14th, 2012 at 07:44 AM.
    Zombie Story:
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ok, maybe this one here?

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Any of the books by Craig diLouie would be a great read. Tooth and Nail, The Infection, and On the Killing Floor.

"Destroyer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Damn it, Cabbage Patch, you are the incarnation of Encyclopedia Britannica. Is there anything you do not know?

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    not zombies, but if you're looking for something that will totally take you out of the here and now, i'd suggest the Orphan series by robert beuttner. not sure if it's on kindle, and though it is not zombie, if you like some sci-fi that builds plausibly, then this is the series for you.

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    The Enemy series by Charles Higson. Its not your average zombie book, considering its from the point of view of multiple groups of children under th age of 17. Lord of the flies... Cept with zombies and in post apocalyptic London. The latter books are alot about the interactions between separate groups of kids. Great read.

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Blog Entries

Hi there.

@CabbagePatch: Awesome!
    @reaper239: I like especially SciFi-movies like Sunshine, 2001 (only about the display of space travel, not so much this philospophy behind it), Pandorum, Moon (not to be confused with Moon44, which was OK, but neither good nor awesome), the anime "Planetes" or documentary stuff ... And I'd love to know which SciFi-authors or book-titles provide me a similar experience like the movies mentioned above. I will look into the Oprhans series ...
    @Lukas A.: Will definitely try this. Thank you very much.

All the best!
    Liam
    Zombie Story:
    - is fun.

"Expelled From The Tower"

Status
    Blog Entries
    Blog Entries
    it starts with Orphan and the books are all titled differently but along the theme of Orphan's Triumph (the final book in the series) also, it's military sci-fi, heavy on the military angle. if you are looking for something that will mix in hardcore scientific theory with action and fiction, check out "Into the Looking Glass" by john ringo. the second in the series (where he started co-authoring with a physicist to make sure the science was right) is "Vorpal Blade" also awesome. i haven't had the chance to pick up the rest of the series though. keep in mind, the looking glass series is hardcore sci-fi, like i-should-be-taking-notes sci-fi. he started getting into some discussions amongst characters and i had to break out the google.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast