User Tag List

"Hoarder"

Status

"Out of Every 100 Men..."

I came accross this quote attributed to Hericlitus:

“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

So where do you think certain characters fall in that scheme?

Pegs for sure is in the 10 that shouldn't be there along with Datu, Hope and Latch.
    Angel is part of the 80 that are targets along with Reiley and CJ (I'm sure I'll catch flak for CJ but to me she is horrible at execution and not a real fighter, but an awesome planner)
    Michael is a fighter along with Burt and Puck.
    And the Warriors are Saul and Victor (the two of them together is an awesome combo in my opinion) and Scratch on the side of the Mallers.

I'd love to hear others thoughts on this!

Cunning Linguist

Status

Interesting - I would definitely have considered Burt as the warrior, albeit one with mediocre people skills. I think in the heat of things, he really shines. I could imagine him saying, "Crisis is easy! Its the day-to-day living that's hard..."

Scratch seems to gain followers out of fear of what she'll do to them if they don't follow her orders. If she becomes boss of the colony, I would guess that kind of leadership would result in a nightly exodus of inhabitants. She's probably too scary for anyone to attempt a coup.

Thought provoking post...
    If it's worth doing, it's worth OVER-doing!!

"Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    High Level Wiki10000 Experience PointsBelovedVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Leedo2502 View Post
    I came accross this quote attributed to Hericlitus:
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
    So where do you think certain characters fall in that scheme?
    Targets:
    - Kelly - A strong character that we’ve gotten to hate and come to enjoy. The slow build up of her as someone we value in the plot makes her a reasonable character to kill off to maximize emotional impact without negatively impacting the storyline.
    - Riley – Someone I might have put into the “Real Fighters” category earlier, she’s been downgraded to a target due to the emotional issues. She wasn’t able to handle what’s happened and has become dependent on drugs to deal with her anxiety/anger.
    - Latch – Sidekick and plot device. Plus, he’s dead so… yeah.

Shouldn’t be there:
    - Pegs – I get the feeling she was given the pilot abilities just so we’re not wondering why the rest didn’t leave her in LA as zombie bait. She has one redeeming quality and is my least favorite character
    - Hope – In terms of war, I don’t think kids have any business being close to it even if that’s more than a little idealistic. In terms of the story, she’s needed to give Datu a reason to not be a complete pussy. He is at his best when he’s defending someone else incapable of taking care of themselves, it seems.

Real Fighters:
    - Victor – An Insurance Salesman? Yeah right. If he did sell insurance, the only way I can reconcile that in my mind is as a means to support a family. He’s a survivor in the truest sense. There doesn’t seem to be anything too dirty or deplorable for this man if it means another day above ground.
    - Lizzy – Determined, stubborn, and strong. This woman does not go down without a fight. She’s smart enough to know when she can’t win but also wise enough to know how to pick her battles. Pregnant and alone in a strange place? Make friends with the guy that zombies should be afraid of. She’s resilient and fights on her terms.
    - Saul – The ultimate soldier. He knows his role and what he’s expected to do however he’s also highly idealistic. Ruled as much by his heart as his orders, this man would be the one to take a bullet for a friend or put his life on the line to serve a cause.
    - Burt - Heartbroken and alone in life, he’s managed to carry on and attempt to uphold the memory of his wife in all things he does. Burt reminds me a lot of an older version of Saul.
    - Scratch – Another survivor. She’s more than capable of taking charge and using people to get the job done BUT she is not a leader. She’s a bully and leads by fear and intimidation which is why I didn’t put her in the category of the warrior.
    - Datu – A very goofy, loveable character that surprises us at each turn. He’s hopeless when he’s able to rely on someone else – possibly due to an inferiority complex – but completely capable of being a badass mo’fo when push comes to shove.

Warrior- Michael – Naturally charismatic but hopelessly oblivious to the minutia of human emotions (amusingly for someone who deals in information). He leads by example and drives people to bigger and greater accomplishments by simply believing it is possible. In the last We’re Not Dead episode, it was mentioned that Michael’s plans are poorly planned but executed well. I believe this is true and a result of the people he leads.

My list has a disproportionately high number of warriors but given the circumstances, the "targets" and "shouldn't be there" are mostly dead anyways.