Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    "Hoarder"

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassWell LikedVeteran10000 Experience Points

Steam ID: AwkwardAlex1
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    Radioactive zombies in 3..... 2......
    I said it before and I'll say it again, "Radioactive zombies makes Kimmet a total dick."

"Stalker"

Status
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsExtreme Love
    Has anyone else notice the influx of new users? Are they all from Boulder?

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Privateer View Post
    Before reading any other posts: Wow, KC, we're going to have to watch Datu and Hope slowly die of radiatin poisoning, aren't we? Thats hardcore, dude.
    At their current position it's extremely unlikely that Datu or Hope received a dangerous radiation dose from the explosion. They're more than 30 miles away with some serious mountains between them and Boulder. Once the immediate blast radiation has passed (within seconds) the main radiation threat is from fallout, which the winds are mostly going to blow to the East of Boulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilish Pizza View Post
    I wonder how accurate the explosion and shock wave we heard was to an actual nuclear explosion. Does it really travel from point zero to >4.7 miles in just a few seconds? Or was Litmaster right in thinking it was a rock slide we heard at the very end?
    I'm thinking it was the shock wave.
    The radiation effects will hit the 4.7 mile mark in less than a second. The blast effect will take approximately 3 seconds to reach that point moving on 180 mph winds.

Datu and Hope are probably experiencing the outer edge of the blast effect, which shouldn't be particularly destructive given the obstacles in the way. It's still likely to be loud and shocking, and it could very definitely precipitate rock slides/avalanches.

"Lurker"

Status
    This was awesome.
    - I wonder why that road was plowed if it didn't lead to the evac site?
    -We can only hope that the would-be highjacker was caught in the blast.
    -I caught on to Hope being testy with Datu pretty early on but it seems he could have handled it a little more tactfully.

Congratulations on 100 quality and riveting episodes!

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    VeteranWell Liked5000 Experience Points
    Why all the Hope hate? Jane, you've been doing great! And besides, Hope's remarks are completely understandable when you take into account she's running for her life and King Datu the Resourceful is a terrible driver, hopeless shot and quite gullible.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    It's been a long time since I've calculated nuclear blast effects and downwind fallout hazard, so this is pretty rough.

Bomb Type: B83 1.2 megaton fusion warhead
    Equivalent Yield: 1,200,000 tons of TNT
    Prevailing Wind: West to East

Estimated Impact of 1.2 megaton ground burst over downtown Boulder:

Inner Red Circle—Area consumed by firestorm

Outer Red Circle—Probable total area of the firestorm

Red Arrows—Downwind Radioactive Fallout zone

The Federation of American Scientists provide an excellent description of the effects of a nuclear blast at this link: http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/effects.htm

The Nuclear Darkness website has a tool that allows you to simulate the blast effects of a nuclear bomb on a specific location. Pick a target location, pick a blast yield (1,200 kt for a B83) and see how it plots out on Google Maps.
    http://www.nucleardarkness.org/nucle...sionsimulator/
    Last edited by Cabbage Patch; Oct 8th, 2012 at 02:50 PM.

"Lurker"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by HardKor View Post
    P.S. Oh and on an additional note. Hopefully the absence of Pegs and Kelly is due to Elisa Elliot not being available and not an indication that we won't hear them again. I don't think I could stand not hearing Pegs' voice again, or Kelly for that matter.
    We record WAY in advance, so her illness didn't effect the story. In fact, Elisa does proofing and editing to all the chapters. So she's always around

Oh! And the new episode is fixed with the proper # in the episode. #oops100

Riley's Drinking Buddy

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki Amateur10000 Experience PointsVeteranBeloved

Gamertag: HarKor1283
    Quote Originally Posted by fridginators View Post
    Why all the Hope hate? Jane, you've been doing great! And besides, Hope's remarks are completely understandable when you take into account she's running for her life and King Datu the Resourceful is a terrible driver, hopeless shot and quite gullible.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly think the actress did a fine job. It's the bratty know-it-all attitude of the character that was irritating. Hope was giving off that whole "I know so much more than everyone else" attitude that teenagers tend to adopt and was generally treating Datu like crap while he was doing the best he could to get them out of Boulder and toward safety. And the fact that Datu stopped the car and basically called her out on it shows that her attitude was the way it was by design. It was all well done and a great job by the actress, Jane, but it was also satisfying to hear Datu call her out on her attitude, which, except for the part where she figured out which way they were heading, wasn't helping.
    "There a many ways to kill a zombie, but I find the most satisfying way is to stab it in the brain with a wooden stick." Dwight K. Schrute

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fridginators View Post
    Don't forget: She is blind-folded. But anyway: The last youth being annoying to some degree was killed a little later ... Hopefully this does not with Hope ...

Oh boy ... I tried to listen to the female voice on the speaker at the beginning of this episode, but I don't get what she says ... That's the lack of understanding you have, when you are not a native speaker ... :/

It is pretty amazing to see that Datu and Hope had some rest although they were 'under attack'. How long did they sleep, actually. Was it over night, so are we at the beginning/ first half of the next day? And then, when they are awake, you have gunfire all around, while simultaneously soldiers with huge speaker drive around and ask the people to leave Boulder. Just imagine: Half an hour later Datu and Hope would have been atomized.
    /answered by the show: While Datu and Hope are on the #6 it is about half past seven in the morning.

Funny to see other cars, probably in rows driving around and trying to leave the town, even honking to speed up things - even within Boulder. Datu was wondering about the few cars that left Boulder finally ...

A lot of civilians were able to leave to the south. In the North hell was loose; airport taken, little chance to refuel, very few survivors, HQ in Boulder under heavy attack. Now, what exactly does this say about Pegs and Kelly (and Lady)? Since hours passed since the call to evacuate and the evacuation took place I assume they were able to leave, because they were at the airport already.

And what is that specific location South of Boulder where the civilians gather or are meant to gather? Is it the same as the rendezvous point mentioned by Kimmet? Having a place close by makes sense at least for the people in the North being flown out of Boulder ...
    answered by CabbagePatch: Genesee Park at the 70.

The scam-trick on the off-route was kind of funny.

I am confused: Datu speaks of the 70 where whatever was supposed to happen; and he is on the 6 together with Hope. Looking at google-maps I see: they are the same - at least West of Denver ... So do the surviving people and military staff from Boulder prepare for a convoy from Denver to Fort Irwin, right? So probably Datu and Hope are just ahead of them ... Really, this time I am kind of confused by the bits and pieces I collect from this episode.
    no - corrections, again thanks to the map of CabbagePatch: The #6 and the #70 are the same only in parts, in others not; and at Genesee Park both routes are different. Unlucky Datu and Hope.

As for the noise at the end of the show ...Yeah, I don't think it is the nuclear blast. It is very likely that this is the seismic outcome of the blast shattering all kinds of stuff around Datu and Hope. An avalanche might be quite likely, right?

All the best!
    Liam

edit. P.S.: Hijacked by CabbagePatch. His map provides some answers to my questions. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by LiamKerrington; Oct 8th, 2012 at 03:11 PM. Reason: hijacked
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Lurker"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by HardKor View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly think the actress did a fine job. It's the bratty know-it-all attitude of the character that was irritating. Hope was giving off that whole "I know so much more than everyone else" attitude that teenagers tend to adopt and was generally treating Datu like crap while he was doing the best he could to get them out of Boulder and toward safety. And the fact that Datu stopped the car and basically called her out on it shows that her attitude was the way it was by design. It was all well done and a great job by the actress, Jane, but it was also satisfying to hear Datu call her out on her attitude, which, except for the part where she figured out which way they were heading, wasn't helping.
    This! My comment was in reference to the character not the actress. Besides, any actor/actress that can bring out that kind of emotion/reaction from listeners is doing a damn good job anyway IMHO.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast