User Tag List

"Gatherer"

Status

Boulder... why Boulder?

Curious as to why the safe zone is Boulder, Co. I can understand Colorado as a whole, but why Boulder? There is no airport, there is no military installation. So why Boulder?

Thanks!

Penguine

Mofo with the Mojo

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranPro Level Wiki Editor

Good question. Hopefully we'll get an answer. There is one major interesting thing about Boulder. It has a sizable science and research-university infrastructure. I think there is also a satellite control center there too.
    Call Sign: Jive Turkey
    Ladies and Gentlemen, straight from Mysterical Island, it's the Shaman of Schiznick, the Mofo with the Mojo, the Mad Scientist of the Jungle, the Doctor is in!
    Doctor? Doctor who?
    NO! Witch Doctor, fool!

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries

Not sure of what Boulder you write there ... Boulder in Colorado has an own airport; also it is next to Denver. About military services in Boulder/ Denver I have no clue ...
    My guess: Boulder like other places in the US established a refugee-camp, but unlike other camps it was not overrun by Zeds. Also military/ national guards/ security/ policy services were able to fortify the camp soon enough to stop the onslaught in Boulder ...

Just guessing ...
    Zombie Story:
    - raises the acceptance of killing humans in huge numbers,
    - reveals everything bad and and even worse about human behaviour and psychology,
    - is fun.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Should of said no 'major' airport. And Boulder is about 45min - 1hr from Denver International Airport. But anyway, just wondering why KC picked Boulder is all. Did he have a map of the US hanging on the wall and toss a dart? Is it someplace he secretly dreams of living one day? Just curious is all.

Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries
    It's his special homage to Stephen King's "The Stand."

Or, he never read it and it's just some crazy-ass coincidence.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Ahh, gotcha. Thank you!

"Researcher"

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurWA PointsBeloved25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Gamertag: D4wGxxB0neS
    KC can hopefully answer this himself but my guess is that well, someplace had to be picked, so with the mountains and national parks to the west a reason can be made that Boulder wasn't as exposed as other places and had more time to make it safe. I'm guessing as per the current chapter that cold will play a part...so if you move East your moving out of the cold, move north and maybe your getting too far from the stories action to make some things work. Its pretty much due East and might have just looked like an obvious choice.

"Scavenger"

Status
    Achievements:
    Well LikedVeteran5000 Experience Points
    might be an unintentional homage to King in generel but thinking it over (despite my lack of US geography) it seems like a good place in theory mountains surounding and the cold if I was living in the US and had a Zombie uprising it would seem like a good place to go

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

He used it because he likes saying the word "boulder."

As for "unintentional homage" there is no such thing. It is either homage--which is purely intentional--or it is mere coincidence. By definition there is no in between.
    joint-point-counter-joint

Browncoat

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassHigh Level WikiWA PointsTagger First Class1 year registeredExtreme Love50000 Experience Points

Boulder seems reasonable to me because it is not major metropolitan, it's kinda remote, and then there is the climate. It seems to me that population centers had the main impacts so that the remote areas had the best chances of not getting hit or at least not hard.

So we have places like Boulder and Ft Irwin - middle of nowhere.

Then, of course, it could be a good place for a last "Stand" for humanity.... Or well, it could have been.....