Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    omnipresent

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassExtreme LoveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: t0dd i5 d3ad PSN ID: --- Steam ID: --- Wii Code: ---
    theres really only one thing that comes to mind in this for me. the mothman prophecies
    KAW

W/A convoy supply and general manager: info? follow ? > @_toddisdead

"New Arrival"

Status
    Bourne Ultimatum.
    Starship Trooopers. Cheesy as it was.
    Anything made from a Tom Clancy book.

"Hoarder"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by DogFromDuckhunt View Post
    Starship Trooopers. Cheesy as it was.
    Oh my god! THe book Starship Troopers was the shit... I loved the politics of it

Though I can begrudgingly accept that most would find it boring

"Hoarder"

Status

I'll even say any movie based off of a book by Stephen King is going to be better than the book

"Lurker"

Status
    I think not a single movie is better than the book it taken.....mmmm.......Yes I do....not a single movie...!!!
    Last edited by lanezjones; Aug 10th, 2012 at 12:11 AM.

Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries
    You guys are friggin crazy... movies SUCK! They always have to cut corners and leave stuff out in order to condense the whole story.

Saying that movies are better than books is like saying that watching highlights of a football game is better than watching the game itself.

Also, the visual nature of movies automatically means that they'll put more emphasis on action scenes where something is 'happening' rather than on more subtle character development and underlying tension. The result is that damn near half of a 3 hour movie is taken up by bullshit car chases and fight scenes, where this may not be nearly so emphasized in the book version. They basically steamroll all the nuance in favor of flashy sensationalism.

Besides, in a movie you cannot get inside the head of a character like the way you can in a book. It's a total weakness of the visual medium.
    Last edited by Litmaster; Jul 26th, 2012 at 05:17 AM.

"Fresh Meat"

Status
    "Books are always better" (that's the quote of my boo) girlfriend lol my thinking is that, movies are a way of turning that imagination of the readers minds, back to life in the BIG SCREEN but...sadly they not get it quite right when directors buy some of the permits to change stuff etc... but when you do it whit the dedication like Peter Jackson did you will get a piece of art

Tower Librarian

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurTagger Second ClassBloggerExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyBox View Post
    ... but when you do it whit the dedication like Peter Jackson did you will get a piece of art
    Tolkien was a bit long-winded with some of his tedious songs and page upon page of meeting-discussion dialogue. He was a bit too in love with the world he created, which is by now a cliche among fantasy writers. I re-read the Hobbit last summer after nearly two decades since I last read it, and found it quite a bit slower than I had remembered. By today's standards, I think the series would be improved a bit if a few dozen pages were edited out, but this would only make it a better book.

My point:
    - I thought the LOTR movies were done as well as they could be, by any director
    - I thought the LOTR books were great, but could be better with some stern editing

Nevertheless, a good book beats a great movie any day.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Comes to Books subforums, says movies are better.

joint-point-counter-joint

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsWiki AmateurWell LikedVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Leedo2502 View Post
    I'll even say any movie based off of a book by Stephen King is going to be better than the book
    ......No. Most movies based off of his books butcher the story. Also, a lot of things that he does with writing sound good in a book, but translate poorly into a movie. Example: In Dreamcatcher the character Beaver has all these strange made up swearwords that seem funny and unique in the book, but sound rather stupid in the movie. A lot of the thought processes that go in in character's heads don't translate well either, and just most dialogue taken directly from the book doesn't sound that great on film.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast