User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    "Hoarder"

Status

Movies that were better than the Books

I'm sure I'm going to catch a lot of flak for this one;

The Lord of the Rings series.

I tried reading these when I was younger and was bored out of my head when Tom Bomdabom (whatever) showed up. All the "songs" that they sang in it were boring as hell too.

I tried again when I saw the first movie and was all "Jaysus these are boring".

But I'm sure that there are plenty other movies that were better than the books they were based upon.

"Hoarder"

Status

THought of another one... all the Bourne movies.

FAR better than the books, I tried chewing my hand off when I was reading the first one of those

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Leedo2502 View Post
    I'm sure I'm going to catch a lot of flak for this one;

The Lord of the Rings series.

I tried reading these when I was younger and was bored out of my head when Tom Bomdabom (whatever) showed up. All the "songs" that they sang in it were boring as hell too.

I tried again when I saw the first movie and was all "Jaysus these are boring".

But I'm sure that there are plenty other movies that were better than the books they were based upon.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on Lord of the Rings. I read those books for the first time a good 30 years before the movies came out and there was no way they could ever match up in my mind.

One category where I have to agree that the movies are almost always better than the books is war stories. "A Bridge Too Far", "The Longest Day", "Band of Brothers", "The Bridges at Toko Ri" were all based on military history books I'd read that were far less memorable than the movies that were based on them. I think it's the kind of spectacle involved. The Lord of the Rings movies, as good as they were, could never match the fantasy stories as I imagined them. But the war movies could show scenes in far greater detail than I could imagine because they could use real tanks, ships and planes.

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassTagger First ClassWiki AmateurVeteranWell Liked10000 Experience Points
    Forest Gump. Watch the movie THEN read the book and tell me which is better. While the book had some funny parts, if it wasn't for Tom Hanks, no one would know about that guy from Alabama.
    "I have better things to do tonight than die."
    -Springer (while loading a mortar shell)

We're Alive Sponsor

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First Class1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    What a great topic of conversation. I have to say, I don't know of many. Typically if I read the book and liked it, I wouldn't go watch the movie. I'm curious about The Hunger Games. I liked the books, but haven't seen the movie, and so many have said it's really good. I'll still wait for the DVD.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by forgottenone View Post
    What a great topic of conversation. I have to say, I don't know of many. Typically if I read the book and liked it, I wouldn't go watch the movie. I'm curious about The Hunger Games. I liked the books, but haven't seen the movie, and so many have said it's really good. I'll still wait for the DVD.
    I have the Hunger Games books, but I don't plan to read them till after I've seen all the movies. Ditto for Game of Thrones and the Harry Potter series. I figure that's the surest way to avoid disappointment.

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status

Gamertag: l VEE l
    Yeah LOTR the books are better than the films I reckon, good though the films are. The point about Tom Bombadil is fair enough though

That's why he wasn't in the film, it did drag quite a bit in the book.

Status

Oh, and my contributions are:

The Bridges of Madison County
    Jaws
    Blade Runner

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

All of this is subjective. It's only an opinion. Mine happens to be that you're all wrong. The books are always better.
    joint-point-counter-joint

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
    All of this is subjective. It's only an opinion. Mine happens to be that you're all wrong. The books are almost always better.
    Fixed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast