User Tag List

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    Administrator, 14th Floor of the Tower.

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First Class5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked
    Quote Originally Posted by Eviebae View Post
    Everyone else may wanna skip this one...unless you don't...cuz I'm going to geek the &*$# out...

Yes, very true. I never meant to say they do--and frankly think I didn't. I said they cause change at the LEVEL of the chromosome by changing HOW the genes are expressed. Because of evolution; DNA is sort of messy string code and part of how genes are expressed are these para-chromosomal chemicals/proteins that can turn the expression of genes (and thus the traits they express) on and off. In Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, for example, the thinking is constant stress results in changes to chromosomal expression that result in some of the long term behaviors associated (besides and beyond having a predisposition) --like hypervigilance. It's like how in a house some lights are on and some are off; but they are all there being lights and if you don't want to use a light long term you can unscrew the lightbulb.
    That's a great way to explain it!
    What I find really scary about the whole Zombie Apocalypse conceptual life style isn't the Zombies themselves, but rather the fact that we are now a species so disgusted with normality and society that some of us would actually prefer it" - Some Zombie Nerd

"Lurker"

Status
    good solid episode, but like previous posters Damn you for giving scratch a human side :P.
    Anyway, it was a good episode and it sets everything up nicely for part two. Can't Wait!

Mofo with the Mojo

Status
    Achievements:
    WA PointsExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranPro Level Wiki Editor

Quote Originally Posted by IamPaul View Post
    Now lets get all this straight. ..... friend family family family family family family family family family family family family family family family family family. Sorry guys. my family key on my keyboard got stuck.
    Chuckle
    Call Sign: Jive Turkey
    Ladies and Gentlemen, straight from Mysterical Island, it's the Shaman of Schiznick, the Mofo with the Mojo, the Mad Scientist of the Jungle, the Doctor is in!
    Doctor? Doctor who?
    NO! Witch Doctor, fool!

"Gatherer"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cunning Plan View Post
    good solid episode, but like previous posters Damn you for giving scratch a human side :P.
    Anyway, it was a good episode and it sets everything up nicely for part two. Can't Wait!
    Yea, I think I heard Osiris' Scratch-gasim clear across California.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Achievements:
    Wiki AmateurVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Eviebae View Post
    Everyone else may wanna skip this one...unless you don't...cuz I'm going to geek the &*$# out...

Yes, very true. I never meant to say they do--and frankly think I didn't. I said they cause change at the LEVEL of the chromosome by changing HOW the genes are expressed. Because of evolution; DNA is sort of messy string code and part of how genes are expressed are these para-chromosomal chemicals/proteins that can turn the expression of genes (and thus the traits they express) on and off. In Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, for example, the thinking is constant stress results in changes to chromosomal expression that result in some of the long term behaviors associated (besides and beyond having a predisposition) --like hypervigilance. It's like how in a house some lights are on and some are off; but they are all there being lights and if you don't want to use a light long term you can unscrew the lightbulb.
    I am glad you agree that epigenetics do not alter the DNA in response to environmental stimuli. This is the very point I've been trying to clarify. It was your previous characterization of these epigenetic effects as "genetic changes" that prompted my clarification. A genetic change would be at the LEVEL of the gene and constitute a change in the actual DNA. Epigenetics, however, work "on top of genetics", regulating how these DNA-coded regions are accessed and expressed without altering the DNA sequence or the genes themselves.

Administrator, 14th Floor of the Tower.

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First Class5000 Experience PointsVeteranWell Liked
    I thought I had previously stated this before but I can't seem to find a post where I mention it and seeing how this information is more related to this part rather than part 2 I'll post it here. To add my to "Ink" is part of "The Family" in some form or another I want to bring everyone back to Chapter... 23 maybe? I can't remember the exact chapter but they are discussing the "little one" (that is actually still little at the time) during the Mallers convoy ambush (en route to destroy the Arena). During this scene Scratch says to Tardust (or someone else) that "thing (in reference to the Little one) is just the beginning, and Durai understands that". Could this be more subtle foreshadowing and evidence that Ink is in the family and that Durai understands a heck of a lot more about Ink then we do?
    What I find really scary about the whole Zombie Apocalypse conceptual life style isn't the Zombies themselves, but rather the fact that we are now a species so disgusted with normality and society that some of us would actually prefer it" - Some Zombie Nerd

"Maintenance Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranBeloved
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiphobe View Post
    I am glad you agree that epigenetics do not alter the DNA in response to environmental stimuli. This is the very point I've been trying to clarify. It was your previous characterization of these epigenetic effects as "genetic changes" that prompted my clarification. A genetic change would be at the LEVEL of the gene and constitute a change in the actual DNA. Epigenetics, however, work "on top of genetics", regulating how these DNA-coded regions are accessed and expressed without altering the DNA sequence or the genes themselves.
    First of all, since we are talking about science, we have to begin all sentences with "so". Have you noticed the diffusion of the "so" sentence on NPR? "So it turns out that..." It's shorthand for "step back plebe; I has the brains and the training."

So, my point--and what I took was wh33t's--was that environment DOES impact the expression of genes. I think we may have misunderstood each other.

Scratches actions have made sense from the beginning--in more than black and white bad guy terms. It is awesome that--the words were written in such a way and the expression/acting was such that I was able to read her character. For instance I thought I detected back in February that although she said she didn't care if Lizzy was raped; she really did. That's excellence in action. I could listen to her change of voice and attitude toward Lizzy when she saw she was "sick" and was able to guess she'd been a Mommy (almost).
    SKITTLES?

"Scavenger"

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Eeez View Post
    Faith from Buffy the Vampire Slayer series.
    Faith was misunderstood. I stand by this. She was a teenager. They are ALL VILLAINS at that age.

"Scavenger"

Status

Ok. So I'm just gonna say it: I don't care how much sighing, non-menacing, flash-back pensive speech Scratch gives me. I simply do not trust her. I dig her character. I like that she is written damaged and angry. But I think she is up to something. I (stating "I" as in not fact but personal opinion) think she wants the baby for herself OR she plans on using it (and Lizzie) to find out where the group is. And I soooo totally want a show down with Saul. Im not missing Pegs at all. If Scratch took her on, it would be over too fast. Give Scratch a worthy advisary in Saul (and his homey Victor by his side!). It would be good. Also, anything with Saul and Victor as the main storyline to follow is good with me! Now I need to listen to the next 2 parts of Chapter 31.

"Gatherer"

Status
    Saul and Victor could do a spin off.. We're Alive: The story of Saul and Victor. LOL. Best duo in the series. Great interactions, great story telling.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617