User Tag List

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteranExtreme LoveOverdrive
    Blog Entries

Gamertag: kc wayland Steam ID: waylandprod

Dog Eared Copy review of We're Alive:

I think you'll enjoy some of the comments on this one:

http://dogearedcopy.blogspot.com/201...val-first.html

Dadmin

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First Class50000 Experience PointsPro Level Wiki EditorVeteran
    Blog Entries

So the French woman had issues settling into the French accent?

Aww....blogger is special!
    ~Ra1th: Nik doesn't sleep, he waits.~
    ~TCM Revolver: ra1th needs to be on the look out for cars that appear to be moved recently, and nikvoodoo on the rooftops
    Voodoo Lounge Here!! Twitter: Follow Me, Follow WA Follow WND

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    I thought it was a reasonably favorable review, written by someone who clearly didn't pay very much attention and only skimmed the material. How rich is it that the reviewer's biggest complaints were that the French character, played by an actual French woman, wasn't French enough for him, and that the Filippino character, played by a Filippino-American, wasn't Filippino enough.

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassTagger First ClassWiki AmateurVeteranWell Liked10000 Experience Points
    on a kind-of related note (a meta-note, at that) how did this thread acquire 2 replies yet not views before I clicked on it. The internet has gone mad.
    "I have better things to do tonight than die."
    -Springer (while loading a mortar shell)

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassTagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsWell LikedVeteran
    Blog Entries
    Omg seriously was he drunk when he listened ??? Did the blogger not do any background research on the actors *facepalm*
    Fruity Oaty Bar Jingle: Fruity Oaty Bars! Make a man out of a mouse! Fruity Oaty Bars! Make you bust out of your blouse! Eat them all the time! Let them blow your mind... ohh! Fruity Oaty Bars!
    "Burn it to the ground. My only regret would be not being able to burn it a second time." Osiris, on how the world should burn.

Ostentatious Legume

Status
    Blog Entries
    Achievements:
    BloggerBug Hunter First ClassWiki AmateurWA PointsTagger Second ClassExtreme Love50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Blog Entries

If you're going to skim through the material, don't bother wasting anyone's time writing a review. Favourable or not. Honestly, based off this review I wouldn't listen to the show. Clearly the blogger's knowledge of French accents comes from Peter Sellers's Inspector Clouseau movies and not from first-hand experience. Mon Dieu!
    joint-point-counter-joint

Gatherer of Degrees

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassTagger First ClassWiki AmateurVeteranWell Liked10000 Experience Points
    well... the dude also said that the first season was only 12 podcasts. Good thing I listened past Chapter 4, right?

wait a minute, did this guy write reviews for all the podcasts that were nominated in the same category as We're Alive for the Audies?
    Last edited by Hellbringer; May 22nd, 2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: like Voltron, I'm combining.
    "I have better things to do tonight than die."
    -Springer (while loading a mortar shell)

Blogger from the 9th Floor of the Tower

Status

Gamertag: l VEE l
    Actually, it's a reasonable review really, and I did get what he means about the accents, we've listened to them and are very used to them, but when I first heard Riley her accent did seem a little odd, not jarringly so, but as Claire says about herself: "Born in France, lived in London UK for a long time before moving to Los Angeles; which explains my strange accent :-)", the more I heard it the less I noticed, and Riley is one of my favourite characters.

As for Datu, no, many of my family are Indian and the accent is nothing alike. I don't know any Filippino-Americans though so can't comment on it's accuracy.

I started by saying it was a reasonable review, it is, but it's not well researched and it's a bit slapdash, but my overall feel was that it suggested giving it a listen.

"Body Removal Team"

Status
    Achievements:
    Bug Hunter First ClassPro Level Wiki EditorWA PointsTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsLOVED TO DEATHVeteran
    Quote Originally Posted by VEE View Post
    As for Datu, no, many of my family are Indian and the accent is nothing alike. I don't know any Filippino-Americans though so can't comment on it's accuracy.
    One of the amazing things about most hyphenated-Americans is that they sound pretty much like every other American from the area where they grew up. From my own experience as a Korean-American I can tell you that there's no trace of my mother's accent in the way I speak. But I grew up hearing Koreans speaking English, so I know the accent very well. I'm sure that Jay Olegario's normal speaking voice offers very little evidence of his ethnic roots, but I'd bet that his "Datu" accent is spot on.